Kingston 2 Gb SD Card

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by willy101, May 30, 2008.

May 30, 2008

Kingston 2 Gb SD Card by willy101 at 8:27 AM (6,113 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. willy101
    OP

Newcomer willy101 Advanced Member

I'm looking to purchase a 2GB Micro SD (Kingston), serial number SDC/2GBKR. Is this Japanese or Taiwanese? Basically I want a card that can run Castlevania/other games that prove troublesome on certain cards. Will this do it? How are the SDHC cards? Can they also run Castlevania?
    Link to the Item in Question
    Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Edit: So for those wondering whether the Kingston you want to buy is Japan-made, here's a summary of the thread.

- rayder

SDC/2GBKR is Japan-made. Hope this helps!

2. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    nope, i have a kingston japan and mine says SD-C02G on it, i think the serial code you have is a tawain one then.

this is the one i have:

[​IMG]

apart from that one is a 1gb and i have a 2gb.

3. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The Japanese ane Taiwanese cards have the same part number (SDC/2GB or SDC/2GBKR, I think the KR stands for Kingston Retail). I ordered one with one of those part numbers (I don't remember which) from newegg.com and it was Japanese (SD-C02G).

I've heard that the 2GB cards are all Japanese now, but that may just be a rumor.

4. silverspoon

Member silverspoon GBAtemp Fan

5. Destructobot

United States
    KR definitely does not mean Korea. I'm sure at least one of my Japanese Kingstons was the KR version, but I can't remember is it was the 1GB or 2GB card (possibly both).

6. silverspoon

7. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    nope, like i said before mine says SD-C02G on it and it's a kingston, that other code has to be a taiwan, i brought a 2gb micro sd for my friend's little brother and it's the exact same thing a kingston japan with the same serial number, SD-C02G. if someone with a tawain kingson micro sd would say what code they have then we can confirm it.

look this ebay listing, it has the same serial number as TC http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Kingston-2GB-Micro...Q2em118Q2el1247

it has nothing on the bottom though, it doesn't say "japan" on it

http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showpost....amp;postcount=8

8. willy101
    OP

Hmm this seems very confusing.

Are there any sites that I'll be guaranteed to get a card with sufficient read/write speeds? (I'm thinking newegg...) I'm in the USA btw.

Also SilverSpoon mentioned that SDHC cards can run "troubled games" (Castlevania POR) perfectly. Is this true? Do they have r/w on par or better than say a Japan Kingston/Toshiba?

9. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    according to this post http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showpost....mp;postcount=11 the SDC/2GBKR is actually a japan, :S it just says it on the back of the micro SD.

sorry i can't help you shop wise, i'm from the uk, you can try buy.com though.

10. silverspoon

11. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    yep i guess so, sorry Destructobot.

12. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Every Kingston 2gig I've bought from Newegg has been Japanese cards.....and I've bought a total of 5 at this point.

The one I have in my hand right now is labeled "MBLY/2GBKR" (came with mini and full size translators and a card reader) and the card is Japanese. "MBLY/2GBKR" means Mobility 2GB Kingston Retail.

13. willy101
    OP

Okay thanks for clearing that up. Can SDHC cards write/read as fast as or faster than a Kingston japan card?

14. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    Depends. Some yes, some no.
    SDHC=Secure Digital High Capacity

15. willy101
    OP

Which ones specifically write/read just as fast as (or faster than) say 1/2 GB Kingston?

16. Destructobot

United States
    The A-Data 4GB class 6 card is supposedly the fastest card available, with the transfer rate and access time both being better than the Kingston SD-C01G and SD-C02G. Any class 6 microSDHC card should be faster than any microSD card (for transfer rates at least, I don't know about access time).

As for the number confusion, the SD-C0?G cards are all manufactured by Toshiba. SD-C0?G is Toshiba's OEM part number; it is on every version of the Toshiba SD-C0?G cards, regardless of which brand name (Kingston, PNY, a few others I forget) the card is sold under. Unless the card is being sold under the Toshiba brand name, SD-C0?G will generally not be on the packaging or the product description.

17. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I guess you've been lucky. I bought a Kingston 2GB microSD from them and it was Taiwan. That's why I only buy my Kingston 2GB microSD cards from DealExtreme now. $12-$13 and they're authentic guaranteed Japan.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2396

18. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    Thats funny. I have had the exact opposite experience as you. I ordered my first 2GB Kingston from DX (supposedly guaranteed to be MiJ) and it was MiT. Since that I have purchased 6 or 7 2GB Kingston cards from newegg and all have been MiJ.

19. willy101
    OP

Thanks for your help guys. I ended up buying a 2 GB Kingston for $0.95 and a Cyclo.