Hacking Kingston 1gb Microsd card for only $6! or 16 for 2

mikeosoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got mine from newegg, was a made in japan model. weeeerd. no slowdowns nothing, then again, i use the amazing EZ5

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hmm was going to order another see if i get a japan but its sold out now...
cry.gif

eta 2/6/2007 glad its not a long wait though

D

dude

Newegg has a bunch of 1GB MicroSD cards for $12 plus about $5 in shipping, no rebates, including Kingston. I think I will order a couple soon...

I ordered one of these and it was made in Taiwan. I'm not sure if that is always the case though. I don't think NewEgg is sorting them by manufacturing country.

They *do* sort by country. There's two different listings. The SDC/1GB is Japanese, but the SDC/1GBKR is Taiwanese.

I definitely read a post by someone here that you randomly get either the Japanese or the Taiwanese versions regardless of the version you order on newegg.
Basically SDC/1GB and SDC/1GBKR can both be from Taiwan or Japan.

Can anyone else confirm this?

That's probably correct. I just purchased SDC/1GBKR locally and it's assembled in Japan. Newegg also won't guarantee what version you get (I tried to have them verify whether it's Jap or Taiwan version, and they won't do it -- gave some lame excuse that machine randomly picks it)

Dude

Vidikron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are there any major B&M stores that carry these cards in the US? I'd like to get one or two, but I'd like to have the Japanese version and would really prefer to avoid the lottery of purchasing online even if it costs me a bit more.

R0YB0T

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just ordered 2 Toshiba SD-C01GR2W from geeks.com
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=SD-C01GR2W&cpc=RECOM ($21.00 + shipping)

From what I understand any MicroSD card with that model number will work the best.

Also From what I have read, Toshiba has no Taiwan models, so you are guaranteed the Japanese SD-301G.
And, also not 100% but I have read that Toshiba manufactures the Japanese MicroSD cards and that Kingston, PNY and possibly a few other brands just rebrand them.

I will confirm the Model number of the cards from Geeks.com when they come in, and I will test them with Castlevania: POR and DOS, and post my results here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol