Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Anyone get it yet? I ordered it on Steam today and played for a couple of hours or so, at first I thought it would be like a Skyrim clone...and after playing for a couple hours I find it's better than a Skyrim clone. Good customization, pretty good gameplay, good voice actors (IMO), a fair amount of side-quests that aren't fetch quests, a few "guild" quests, challenging bosses (IMO), gameplay is pretty smooth, everything just seems to connect together while playing. If you haven't had the chance to pick this up, I'd recommend doing so for PC, PS3, or 360 as this game looks to be pretty great IMO. You can check out various things here: http://reckoning.amalur.com/

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So many god damn quests, oh my god.
You go to do one quest and find 3 more to do. Drives me nuts because i'm very much a completionist for quests.

Combat is fun, but only from a mage point of view. I found melee (rogue and warrior) to be really dull and boring. Magic weapons (especially chakrams) are so damn fun to use.

It's a little on the easy side, but i'm having fun with it so far. Played about 3 hours or so.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Got my copy preordered on Amazon, really looking forward to this.

The combat part of the game is apparently very good, roll on Friday :)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave the demo a try (tying it with Mass Effect 3 was a smart move on EA's part), but I found it to be really unimpressive. I can't quite explain why, but no matter what, I could not get into the game.

Then again, I have heard a lot of praise for the game elsewhere, so it's possible that they just dropped the ball with that demo.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I played both the demo and the full game (well, my char is roughly level 25 atm), the demo had rare items dropping too easily whereas in the real game it's not as easy to get rare drops, especially set ones...

Anyway, I love the game my char is an Avenger, almost Slayer (they're the Fighter&Rogue destinies) and I love the sylvenious equipment or whatever it's called (green weapons and armours), the faeblades are really awesome and the way how you can quickly change weapons to make the most damage at any time it's quite handy, faeblades for a fast atack and a longsword or a greatsword for wider atacks is pretty handy. The way you can create weapons and stuff is pretty awesome, especially when you're able to creater master craft equipment (most of my points went to blacksmithing, persuasion, dispelling and discovering (seeing items in the map easily).
Another point is that, at first it's pretty hard to get money or buy stuff, but as you play you'll end up getting so much money you don't have a need to worry about it, and if you always make your own stuff you don't even need to sell or buy items. =3

And yeah, I've been playing this non-stop since I got it. ^^

Edit: Rogues aren't overpowered, only might seem like it at first, but all classes are pretty even... Seeing how hard it becomes to find stronger equipment later on.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The demo felt like it dragged on really long. It was a big shame that they added quests to it that you had to complete the main game to. It was at a point where I basically kept checking the time so the demo could be over and I could get my ME3 items. I mean as an Elder Scrolls-meets-God of War type thing it's certainly not bad but the art kinda annoyed me (it felt ripped from WoW or Fable, neither of which I liked the art for) and in the end I was quite bored.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got a chance to give the 360 version a spin (it leaked a few days back- http://gbatemp.net/t...__fromsearch__1 and I posted a quick first impressions there)- I saw 6am this morning because of it and have had similar late nights several times now which is better (worse?) than skyrim which so far has only seen a few marginally late nights. Alas I have only been doing emergency calls these last few days rather than something booked so I am not sure if I would play knowing I would be tired the next day (the previous title to properly manage that was Two Worlds 2) and TV show wise it was the wire.

Going for the staves and chakrams mage with mage armour route right now (earned the first dodge replacement last night/this morning) but have given the other weapons a spin (the hammer is pretty good and I like the faeblades). It is getting to be a surprisingly deep combat engine (I will refine my earlier comments to still sub ninja gaiden but better than any Zelda I have played) with a nice magic/abilities system* which is awesome as I have wanted that for years but on the flip side the being troubled by small drops/only jumping at jump points when walking around thing does raise an eyebrow following skyrim. My inability to block in any game might not help but hard mode does manage the Ninja gaiden bit of if you are on low health it is almost certainly your fault. It is easy enough for me to keep stocked up on potions though as ingredients for small healing potions are everywhere and still largely sort my health (the healing spell takes a while to unlock and is not that useful in combat (a while to be effective/cast and recharge) which is good) so dying is not much of a problem. The camera occasionally gets confused but I have pushed through far far worse (in many games my thumb is on the camera stick shifting to be buttons when I can where here I can quite happily have it on the buttons instead).

*not entirely convinced by the progression system but if I were doing it I have to admit it would probably be very similar.

The voice acting has dropped a couple of times (switched from one character to another) but is actually pretty good for this sort of thing. I am sure someone will probably wish to note the borderline stereotype UK accents being assigned to races thing but it works well enough (it is far easier on the ear than my spins with fable though).

Story- I have not done much on the main story (still yet to see the first fateweaver although I did play past it and revert) but loads of sidequests now most of which I enjoyed and were varied enough to hold interest (I do get bored of fetch quests) and although there is a moral choice thing in effect there are no morality points to speak of which is awesome and some of the choices are interesting/lesser of two evils types (by no means an amazing system and will probably be a "I waited ? years for this and it passed without me really noticing" moment but definitely better than what came before).

Art design still reminds me of a prettier world of warcraft or fable which I am not entirely sure about but faced with the choice of sinking silly money on the uber graphics route (to say nothing of modelling everything to go with it) and a solid design like this I can not fault them.

Got a chance to fiddle with the blacksmithing and potion creation (trained up to the milestone allowing four ingredients and the same for the blacksmithing (no gems though)- works quite well and you do have to work a bit to find components/ingredients. Not had much chance to game the economy though (storekeepers vary even in the same building, have unlimited money, have the option to buyback items you sold) and beyond a sword I found I have nothing in the mercantile but I am still broke (training, the odd weapon, a backpack, components and such) which means it is doing better than most RPGs in which I could probably comfortably retire after the third hour of play.

I got a chance to see a bit more of the world which is nice as the forest/swamp thing was getting a bit stale (although I will note they made the effort to mix that up a tiny bit). Got a house as well.

So far I got back into country in January with Skyrim and Dark souls to play (along with my usual list of RPGs to finish) and this has pulled focus from both so Big Huge Games should be bloody proud of this one.

Reactions: 1 person

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there isn't any multiplayer functionality whatsoever?

I don't think so.

To give you an idea of what it is, it's designed by Ken Rolston (from Elder Scrolls fame), written by RA Salvatore (famous for being RA Salvatore), art design by Todd McFarlane (of Spawn fame), and music is done by Grant Kirkhope (who did a lot of music for Rare games). It's kinda like the Traveling Willburys of video game design.

Reactions: 1 person

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The demo was quite a lot different from how the real game plays actually which is why I was quite surprised when I started playing this. FAST kind of hit on all the points more than I could say though.

@Zero the game is WoWx10 in terms of visuals with God Of War like combat (as Guild touched on) with some pretty fluid gameplay and pretty good audio (in terms of both voice acting and soundtracK).

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
So there isn't any multiplayer functionality whatsoever?

I don't think so.

To give you an idea of what it is, it's designed by Ken Rolston (from Elder Scrolls fame), written by RA Salvatore (famous for being RA Salvatore), art design by Todd McFarlane (of Spawn fame), and music is done by Grant Kirkhope (who did a lot of music for Rare games). It's kinda like the Traveling Willburys of video game design.
That's sad, I would have considered buying this if it had multiplayer. :(

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are we playing the same game?
I may not play a lot of GoW, but the combat is nothing like it. The only similarity is that it's an action combat system. There's very few actual combos per weapon and i'm pretty sure there wasn't even a jump button for aerial combos.
So aside from the fact that in both KoA and GoW, you swing your weapon in real time and can dodge...they're not the same.

It's an action RPG, with a whole lot of quests. It actually is more like an MMO than most wRPGs i've seen. This thing loads you up with dozens of quests at a time. I felt like I was playing an MMO alone for most of my time playing.

Also Skyrims combat is better. Like, a lot better. KoA's combat is fun, but it's pretty mindless. Even mages don't have to do much thinking.

It's a fun RPG, but it's nothing special. Which is why I pirated it. The fact that they're charging console price for this game on PC was one of the funniest things I ever saw. I think the last two games to do that, that I saw, were Skyrim and MW3.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick note there does seem to be an update but trying to find a changelog is proving difficult (nothing official, nothing unofficial and nothing in pirate world beyond a fix to the crack for the fix).

Edit: I meant to say as for multiplayer there is supposed to be an MMO for this in the works and if you truly liked the idea of RPG multiplayer maybe two worlds 2 is worth a look. I must admit I do enjoy some co-op multiplayer (the last one I can recall playing other than two worlds 2 was dungeon lords which is quite old now) but I do not think it is a dealbreaker.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just posting a screenshot of my char since I found it's health amount pretty funny. xP

fjX8u.png

Haven't played for the past 4 days so I haven't progressed that much. =(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1