Kingdom Hearts Sucks (But it Doesn't Have To)

MakiManPR

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
After a decade, two main games, and four spinoffs, Kingdom Hearts has solidified itself as an RPG juggernaut. A cross-platform, cross-universe, East meets West monster of a game. And after learning about Keyblades, princesses, and this Ansem guy, one thing has become abundantly clear:

Kingdom Hearts, as a story, totally sucks.

kingdom-hearts-3d-dream-drop-distance-20120227030358233.jpg

Not saying the games as a whole suck. In fact when it comes to pacing, battle systems, and core gameplay, pretty much everything except the platforming mechanics, Kingdom Hearts shines. But then you try and explain the story out loud and all that comes out is a garbled mess of emo kids and Orlando Bloom cameos.

But why is the marriage of spikey-haired heroes and whimsical talking animals a sad, loveless affair?

There are two inherent problems with the storytelling in Kingdom Hearts. The first is Disney.

Disney is very protective of its properties, and doesn't allow people to portray its characters in ways it deems out of character. It's why Epic Mickey had the evil choice parts taken out. It's why you'll never get a Disney-themed Super Smash Bros clone (even though that would be so awesome). And it's why the Kingdom Hearts writers had their hands tied when it came to portraying the worlds. The worlds in Kingdom Hearts have to match the tone of the films they represent, sometimes through a lighter, inconsequential plot, or by following the film exactly. You can see both at work in worlds like Atlantica, where dolphin merman Sora helps solve the issues of Hans Christian Anderson's misogynistic cautionary tale by… singing terrible songs about fins.

Such is the rub when one works with Disney. There are more clever ways to handle it, sure, but as gamers we can forgive the fact that the worlds are just retellings of films because that's essentially what they should be. The other problem is much more serious: everything outside of the Disney worlds is poorly written.

This is where Kingdom Hearts falls apart. Nomura and crew could have put anything in here, so the blame rests solely on them. After six games, the story of Kingdom Hearts is so muddled and confusing that it's hard to even remember what the point was. It's an increasingly unfortunate case with JRPGs that the story seems to just be a collection of dialogue that makes no damn sense. For example:

"We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend. Now I will step forward to realize this wish."
You're not saying anything. Conveying emotion (poorly by the way) is not the same as a plot. It's like Twilight for boys.

kingdom-hearts-3d-dream-drop-distance-20120227030357493.jpg

Buh?

But worse than that, each new character gets somehow less relatable, more annoying, and further unable to hold an entire game. It's hard to imagine a less engaging main character than Roxas, and then Ventus came along in Birth By Sleep as his less likable doppelganger.

So how does Square-Enix and Disney fix this? It's really not as dire as it seems. In fact, there are some really basic things that could improve the series dramatically.
SimplifyKingdom Hearts II, while a messy, unnecessarily complex game, managed to wrap up a lot of the loose ends by way of killing all the characters who were lame. It had a real ending, the main characters got reunited, and the world was saved. So don't mess it up. Don't bring back villains we thought were dead, or rather their heartless clone version, or whatever. Don't introduce any more pouty effeminate male characters who turn out to just be Sora, or Sora's Nobody, or Sora's heart. Stop it. They can't all be Sora.

New properties
It's time to remember that there are other Square Enix games besides Final Fantasies VII through X. The inclusion of The World Ends With You, arguably the best JRPG of this generation (I said it!), in Dream Drop Distance is encouraging.

The Disney franchises need a serious update as well. Did you know Nomura originally wanted The Jungle Book as a planet, but they went with the jungle from Tarzan instead? That's nuts. Any Disney fan in the world will agree that a boss battle against Shere Khan would have been exponentially cooler than the boss battle against smarmy Tarzan villain, Clayton.

Now there's good news. Nomura has said that all the Disney Worlds in Dream Drop Distance will be brand new. And while that includes some similar locations like Pinocchio and Tron: Legacy, the aesthetics and actual levels are notably different. The thing that's most important is that these worlds should contribute to an aesthetic instead of being films that Disney is famous for.

Part of the charm of Kingdom Hearts is seeing how Sora and Gang transform to fit the worlds they visit. Pride Rock, Space Paranoids, and Timeless River are all awesome because the characters change. Having Sora travel to Sherwood Forest and team up with Robin Hood would be far more interesting than going to Agrabah ever again. Or how about bringing Pixar into the mix and seeing what happens to Goofy and Donald when they enter the world of Toy Story? The possibilities are vast, and there's no excuse for reusing any played out world like Wonderland.

kingdom-hearts-3d-dream-drop-distance-20120227030357885.jpg

Two places you will probably never see, even though they would be so cool.

Multi-console
It's become a cruel joke that fans of the series have to purchase a new console or handheld every time they want to play the newest Kingdom Hearts game. So at the very least, when Kingdom Hearts 3 finally comes out it should be on all major consoles. Let's stop messing around, the days of console exclusivity for third parties doesn't make sense anymore.

Pick a normal name
Come on, Japan, don't do this to us again. Just make it Kingdom Hearts 3. Not Kingdom H3arts: Love Lost Enigma. Or Kingdom Hearts: We are Third Pieces. Just, for once, a normal damn title. Please.

Go to f***ing Kingdom Hearts Already
We're about to play our seventh Kingdom Hearts game, and there have been three completely separate Kingdom Hearts, and nobody has set foot in that place? That's ridiculous and unforgivable. If Halo 7 came out and nobody had been to a Halo we would be furious.

When Dream Drop Distance comes out, Kingdom Hearts fans should be able to be excited, without having to make exceptions or defend the game to their friends. The series is ridiculous enough in concept, please stop making it more ridiculous with poor decisions.

Jack DeVries in an Associate Editor at IGN. He has more Disney collectible pins than he has friends. You can follow him on Twitter.

IGN

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or they could just cut out all the Disney and Final Fantasy characters and market it as a generic ARPG with a bad story.

Considering everybody ONLY talks about the original characters, what's the point of the annoying Disney and Final Fantasy characters? Their crossovers are irrelevant anyway.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or they could just cut out all the Disney and Final Fantasy characters and market it as a generic ARPG with a bad story.

Considering everybody ONLY talks about the original characters, what's the point of the annoying Disney and Final Fantasy characters? Their crossovers are irrelevant anyway.

but disney is the best part the make Sora motor oil personality seem not that bad

Reactions: 3 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but disney is the best part the make Sora motor oil personality seem not that bad

Literally the only things it adds is slapstick humor that would make a two year old laugh and some bland ass characters with terribly annoying voices. Other than that it's just for set pieces that I guess Square Enix are too lazy to make more interesting ones for so their like "Fuck it, use some Disney crap".

Reactions: 2 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kingdom Hearts is too generic to be saved.

It's not really generic, it's certainly different, but it's just bad.

Also Kingdom Hearts would be a whole lot better if the entire fanbase just croaked currently. They're seriously one of the reasons I hate the genre. I'd associate myself with CoD fratboys or Dragon Ball Z diehards before I'd associate myself with the Kingdom Hearts fanbase.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kingdom Hearts is too generic to be saved.

It's not really generic, it's certainly different, but it's just bad.

Also Kingdom Hearts would be a whole lot better if the entire fanbase just croaked currently. They're seriously one of the reasons I hate the genre. I'd associate myself with CoD fratboys or Dragon Ball Z diehards before I'd associate myself with the Kingdom Hearts fanbase.

It's K, Guild. I am the Kingdom Hearts fanbase. :)

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would indeed agree with this notion, Kingdom Hearts is something that should never have existed on this planet despite being made by a good dev the disney garbage makes it a generic peace of childish shit.
The worst part is that it keeps getting those stupid spin offs, to lazy to make a proper sequel but just spamming crappy spin offs.

I secretly find it quite enjoyable though the main series that is.

Reactions: 1 person

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Believe us when we say you are not the only one Hyro-Sama- the only franchises that cause more worry to GBAtemp like sites, rom hackers playing in translation and flash cart support staff are pokemon and mario RPGs with a possible handful of zelda (I was not really around for the skyward sword release and the last few around here were DS releases sorted quickly enough). Seen as I arguably have a toe in all three of those worlds I must reflexively despise it and on occasion I try to fight such urges but having given them a spin on at least four platforms I can safely say it is justified. In fact I will go one further than the opening quote and say although perfectly functional the mechanics are nothing to write home about.

Of course with a minor exception for some PC minigames I can fairly safely say disney have not made a truly good game since the 16 bit era (ports do not count here and Tron: Evolution will be forgotten long before Aladdin and World Of Illusion is).

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or Square Enix could just devote their resources to developing/publishing good games; I'd be satisfied with that.

And for anyone willing, here is a simplified summary of the series' plot. Just a heads up, it's 41 pages long.

pubert09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or Square Enix could just devote their resources to developing/publishing good games; I'd be satisfied with that.

And for anyone willing, here is a simplified summary of the series' plot. Just a heads up, it's 41 pages long.
I get it now!! I didn't play much of the spin-offs, because I thought it made the story too complicated, but now that I read that I get the gist.
After seeing that, I now look forward to the conclusion of this.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Go to Kingdom Hearts already?

...If you haven't noticed...

Kingdom Hearts is the FUCKING MOON in a world that never truly existed, or it's a writhing electrical spout of power.

Even in the Kingdom Hearts universe, I don't think anyone can breathe on the moon.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly why I am looking forward to FF13 Versus. From what I have been reading in interviews, it'll play like a more 'realistic' version of Kingdom Hearts. I enjoyed the gameplay, but the overdone/forced cameos of those 'delightful' Disney Heroes and Final Fantasy characters just got to me. The story could have likely still worked if they replaced Disney with some original group of characters from another world, and if they scrapped the whole Disney movie worlds and just made them themed worlds based on different settings.

Anyway, I didn't like my quest to save King Mickey with the help of Donald & Goofy in the original so I stopped. As simple as that :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SugoiEndeavor @ SugoiEndeavor: What's up bakaz