OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
kingdom_hearts_3d_tgs3.jpg

Japanese gaming publication Jump have revealed two of the worlds players will explore in the Nintendo 3DS exclusive Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. The first world is called Pranksters’ Paradise which is Pinocchio World, while the second world is based on the Hunchback of Notre Dame and is named is named La Cité des Cloches.

Set in the belly of a giant whale, this world [Pranksters Paradise] will let Sora and friends adventure through a heart warming fairytale land consisting of circus huts and other elements in 3D. You’ll encounter Pinocchio, whose nose grows when he tells a lie, just like in the original story, and Jiminy Cricket.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame world is named La Cité des Cloches. Screens show Sora in an encounter with Frollo and the city guards in the city plaza. They’re apparently concerned about the appearance of demons in the city. There will be more Kingdom Hearts 3D information coming in this weeks Famitsu magazine.

:arrow:Source

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
So basically, the Pinocchio world is just a content beefed up Monstro. Oh well, as long as it isn't like the dreadful KH1 Monstro.

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yaaaaaaaaaay Kingdom Hearts! After watching all the trailers for this game I really wanna play The World Ends with You so I know who this Neku guy is...

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...meh?

I mean, great, now we get to see Donald Duck, Goofy, and an androgynous teen get awkwardly inserted into the storylines of famous Disney movie while they tell the audience that, "Friendship is awesome; get some." I wonder if whiny teens in black cloaks who complain about how they can't feel emotions make an appearance as well.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
...meh?

I mean, great, now we get to see Donald Duck, Goofy, and an androgynous teen get awkwardly inserted into the storylines of famous Disney movie while they tell the audience that, "Friendship is awesome; get some." I wonder if whiny teens in black cloaks who complain about how they can't feel emotions make an appearance as well.

GTFO Hater

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...meh?

GTFO Hater

1) Play games when young.
2) Realize problems with the series' formula as you age
3) Express these in a forum post
4) Get labeled as a hater

Alright. Well, in that case, let me spoil the ending: It won't make any sense until you play three more spin offs (each with their own needlessly convoluted endings), and will involve the characters discussing the importance of hearts and friendship.

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...meh?

GTFO Hater

Alright. Well, in that case, let me spoil the ending: It won't make any sense until you play three more spin offs (each with their own needlessly convoluted endings), and will involve the characters discussing the importance of hearts and friendship.
GTFudgeO Hater

Thrust

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...meh?

GTFO Hater

You missed
5) imply every game doesnt have problems with its formula
6) Forget that teaching good values like friendship is better than teaching the different kinds of guns and how to kill a man

I like how now a days if anything has a remotely wholesome message its either childish or flawed, what happened to the disney generation?

Reactions: 2 people

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, there's nothing wrong about teaching the values of friendship, though it gets really redundant past the age of... 5 or 6 (7 if you're really generous). And there's a difference between an underlying message and every five minutes somebody has to explain that, yes, friendship is actually quite enjoyable and good. After all, there is nothing wrong with a "wholesome message", just a poorly done wholesome message; children may be a bit slow, but they aren't so stupid that you have to beat the intended moral into their heads with a sledgehammer.

As for games that teach about "different kinds of guns and how to kill a man"... none are designed to do that (In fact, a lot are intended to do the opposite - they just don't quite succeed). Plus, the games that feature that are designed for an audience mature enough to handle darker, more mature content.(Also, pointing out the flaws in one game series does not somehow equate to me saying that every other series is automatically perfect).

Besides, the KH games clearly show the main character using his weapon to end the existences of others; by your logic, doesn't that also condone violence?

The gameplay is good enough, don't get me wrong, but the games never really feel cohesive. It is trying to be the perfect unison of the strengths of Square Enix and Disney, but it instead only serves to highlight how incompatible they are. It can go from singing with Ariel in QTEs (okay, that element of the second game was pretty terrible) and helping the characters of Winnie the Pooh in a storybook to creatures formed from souls ripped out of people's bodies having existential crises about their true nature and Cloud and Sephiroth fighting because... well shit, you have to get that in there somewhere. These tonal inconsistencies make the games feel like they can't decide what they want to be, and they suffer for it.

Thrust

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See I disagree there, The difference in tone is what I always LIKED about the game. It took disney to a slightly darker place and square to a slightly happier one, I think it all comes down to perspective I like the mish mash and clashing of tones, its much more unique and interesting than just one or the other

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The story is supposed to be a happy, heart-warming and an adventurous tone. It does include friendship and yaoi, but not to an extreme extent. Also, your argument contains too much bias and opinion into thinking that KH is too childish. I never felt that way. I like the story (mostly KH Days for the DS was epic).

As for "KH includes violence," it's called mild violence. The games are usually rated Everyone or Everyone 10 or 12+. If you want to bitch about KH being violent, go bitch about it to CERO/ESRB/PEGI/whatever. And are you trying to categorize this in the same level as a shooter? Really? Do you really think a parent of a 10 year old would react the same way if their son/daughter were to be playing an fps vs. a KH game? I don't think it takes that much brain to distinguish the difference in violence between the two.

It's not supposed to be "a perfect unison." Disney and FF integration is just to get attention from fans (much like Neku being featured in KH3D). It's working fine and the fans like it.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, balancing two very different tones can certainly be done; when it is done well, it can highlight the separate strengths of each and utilize them to tell a really effective story. The KH games don't really have that going for them; it feels like there were several different writing teams, and rather than find a way to make all the different ideas gel, they just mixed the scripts together and hoped that no one would notice.

And s4mid4re...

The story is supposed to be a happy, heart-warming and an adventurous tone.

1) Problem is, it isn't completely. A part of it really, really wants to be, while the other half deals with a dark universe where entire worlds (and their inhabitants) are consumed by the embodiment of darkness and sociopathic beings grappling with existential crises. You can really only go with one or the other and have it be cohesive.

Also, your argument contains too much bias and opinion into thinking that KH is too childish.

2) I have never called it childish, so I don't know where you are getting that from.

It does include friendship and yaoi

3) Alright, stop. It does not include yaoi; that comes entirely from the retarded parts of the fandom.

One misinformed rant later...

4) Saying that shooters only teach people "the different kinds of guns and how to kill a man" implies that a game with violence teaches violence; any game with violence (even mild), then, would apply. I'm sorry you had trouble with this, but showing that it was illogical was the point.

I assumed it didn't take much of a brain to put that together.

Disney and FF integration is just to get attention from fans (much like Neku being featured in KH3D).

5) So you freely admit that the games are just made as excuses to promote their products? I wasn't going to go that far, but if you say so. It does explain the poor story and characters.

It's working fine and the fans like it.

6) As a marketing tool, sure; beyond that, no. Also, just because something has a fanbase around it does not at all make it immune to criticism.

Thrust

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im not saying games with VIOLENCE teach violence, im saying games with shooting teach all those things. my younger cousin, whos thirteen, knows damn near every type of gun their is and what they look like and what they do just from playing call of duty. Kingdom hearts could teach him what, how to swing a giant key around? Thats what im saying, you're dealing with realistic violence against real people versus fantasy characters swinging keys. Ive never had a probelm with the story or the characters, infact thats what I LOVE about kingdom hearts and mostly look forward to. if its not your cup of tea thats all well and good but any sort of literary critic goes no farther than opinion

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im not saying games with VIOLENCE teach violence, im saying games with shooting teach all those things. my younger cousin, whos thirteen, knows damn near every type of gun their is and what they look like and what they do just from playing call of duty. Kingdom hearts could teach him what, how to swing a giant key around? Thats what im saying, you're dealing with realistic violence against real people versus fantasy characters swinging keys. Ive never had a probelm with the story or the characters, infact thats what I LOVE about kingdom hearts and mostly look forward to. if its not your cup of tea thats all well and good but any sort of literary critic goes no farther than opinion

Then the problem isn't with the games, it is with the fact that he is allowed to play those sorts of games at a young age (Except for the part about "knowing what guns do"... that's pretty obvious).

KH could teach this kid, if he is so ignorant about the world, that swinging a large object and hitting things with it will cause them to die by your logic. The point is, it is a ridiculous argument to make; if someone learns how to commit an act of violence from some artistic medium and then carries it out, it isn't the medium's fault. The problems lie entirely with the person.

And how is this literary criticism? We're talking about a game series.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
As I said before, go bitch about it to CERO/ESRB/PEGI/whatever other rating organizations. Go tell them that KH has violence, thus it has an equal amount of negative affect for young children compared to shooters and fps games. Go fucking tell them and see if they change the rating to 17+.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4) Saying that shooters only teach people "the different kinds of guns and how to kill a man" implies that a game with violence teaches violence; any game with violence (even mild), then, would apply. I'm sorry you had trouble with this, but showing that it [This idea] was illogical was the point.

I assumed it didn't take much of a brain to put that together.

The point is, it is a ridiculous argument to make

Come on, reading isn't that hard.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I do get the point that both contains violence, but that doesn't change the fact that KH is rated for younger audiences, while fps/shooters are usually rated 17+ because the amount and depiction of violence is different--they're just two different levels. It's like a mother gently slapping you on the face vs. your father socking your face to death. Whether it is violence or not, anybody can tell the difference: discipline vs. abuse. What they condone is different, but you are trying to take 'disciplinary slapping' as 'socking abusively', just because they both involve violence. They both do have violence in them, but the focal point in KH is obviously not violence, whereas fps/shooters do have a focal point on the use of weapons. By saying that "they're both violent, thus they condone the same goal", you are trying to equate that the violence in KH has/might have similar affects to children as fps games do, which, thinking rationally, is obviously not correct. Even if they have violence, the affects on children differs vastly: I would probably never see a young boy shooting a gun because he was playing KH. :P Your argument that they're both violence won't change the rating organizations' rating on each game.

You're starting to sound like PETA saying that mario is grotesque and condones skinning tanuki's because it depicts mario in a tanooki suit. That's obviously not what mario in a tanooki suit depicts. Mario does depict mild violence, but it's an "over exaggeration" to conclude it like PETA did. :P The same with you: you are over exaggerating the violence in KH, trying to make it equal to the violence in fps games. Not many people take KH as violent; I could make a poll and ask if KH is violent or not. I bet you the majority will be a 'no.'

I don't get how "illogical" or "ridiculous" it is. It makes perfect sense that the level of violence is too different, as well as the affects on children.

Whether the disney/ff characters fit in or not, the fans do like it and the fans do buy it. It doesn't hurt SE to include them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.