Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance TGS gameplay

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by granville, Sep 16, 2011.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States

Riku Gameplay #1
    Riku Gameplay #2
    The first real clear gameplay footage of Kingdom Hearts 3D was posted online. It's not direct feed, but you can see the game clearly this time. There are three videos showing the two scenarios available in the Tokyo Game Show demo. The first shows Sora in his new clothes at Traverse Town. While a recurring world, don't assume it looks anything like it did in previous games, it has been completely redesigned from scratch it seems with new areas and scenery (basically looking nothing like the other versions). Sora meets Neku from The World Ends With You, a surprising cameo revealed earlier this week. Neku doesn't appear for long and is only an NPC character in the demo (he may have more importance in the final game). Sora fights some enemies and a boss and shows off some of his flashy new moves such as wall jumping and swinging on lamp posts. The second and third videos show off Riku's gameplay. He sports new clothes as well and the world you're seeing is the Hunchback of Notre Dame, believed to be called "City of Bells". Footage includes a boss fight. As you can see, the gameplay is very similar to Birth By Sleep, though it's flashier and faster paced. You have new sorts of combat partners, strange monsters which fight alongside you. They aren't anything we've ever seen before. This topic will be updated as more footage becomes available. Enjoy! [/p]
    [​IMG] Source #1
    [​IMG] Source #2

2. Byronic Hero

Member Byronic Hero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Awesome!

Riku used Blade Charge. These two videos will keep me occupied for quite a while. Least till I see the trailer.

Also, I love how detailed the mini-map is.

3. granville
    OP

United States
    The guy really sucks playing it, but i'm just glad we finally have some decent quality footage that we can at least see. Looks like the framerate drops slightly when there's loads of effects being pulled off (though not nearly to the extent of BBS). It looks very fun, Riku's gameplay looks very badass.

Hope footage is uploaded of Sora's demo as well. That's where Neku appears.

4. xshinox

Member xshinox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    mind if i ask granville, what makes the player suck at playing the game?

5. Byronic Hero

Member Byronic Hero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe if his fingernails weren't so long maybe he'd have been better. (doubtful)

They really should have gotten somebody who had actually played a portable KH game to demo it on camera. I kept screaming "PRESS L AND R AT THE SAME TIME TO LOCK ON!!" at the screen. [​IMG]

Now I need Sora gameplay, and a trailer and I'll say that the TGS was a success.

6. granville
    OP

United States
    Takes him several minutes and several deaths to learn that he can fly. But mostly just failing to make good use of dodging or even guarding. Just stands there taking hits. You can tell this person hasn't played the series much.

EDIT- updated with youtube of part 2, check the spoiler (not really spoiler, just saving space). If more videos become available, i will update the top post and organize a bit.

7. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    It looks so awesome.

Sucks that it has framerate problems, I hope they get that fixed.

8. Gundam Eclipse

Member Gundam Eclipse True Demon Route

India
    IT
    ITS BEAUTIFUL
    I need a 3DS and Vita so bad ;O;

9. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    Oh my...it looks amazing...

10. Dingoo-fan 32

Member Dingoo-fan 32 GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I Can't wait for it!!!!!11

11. granville
    OP

United States
    Very good chance it will be fixed, it's nowhere near complete (think they said 40-50% done just about a month or two ago). Optimization can happen later. At any rate, it's nowhere near as bad as BBS' framerate, which almost constantly dipped when there were more than a couple of enemies onscreen, and when using command styles or certain attack effects were used. Quite minor compared to that, and the flashy effects have improved considerably. Thankfully, i only saw any noticeable lag during that one attack the boss does, the one where it shoots crystal like things. It's not THAT bad, but i'm sure it'll be fixed. Otherwise the game runs very smoothly and looks great!

12. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    This looks awesome, but I can tell this is going to be hard without the 2nd stick.

13. granville
    OP

United States
    Looks fine. I've played Birth By Sleep and the DS games. Camera control and lock on mechanics used the shoulder buttons. KH1 used this setup as well, but it was improved for the handheld ones. It worked well and i actually prefer this setup to the second analog. If you used a second analog, you need to take your thumb off the face buttons. In combat, this can be dangerous and leave you open to attack. But with shoulder buttons, you have essentially full control of the camera with your index fingers and don't need to take your thumb off the main buttons at all. I never needed to swing the camera higher or lower anyways (and the touch screen will probably function for that anyways, like on 358/2 Days).

Nothing so far has convinced me that i need the second analog. I'm fine with shoulder button camera controls, or any button that snaps the camera back to a single position. Or even dpad for that matter.

14. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    But you're forgetting that the 2nd Slide Pad comes with 2 extra shoulder buttons. Yeah BBS and 358/2 were fine without them, I think they'd be better with them.

15. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    No, 2nd C-Pad won't improve anything for KH, I loved BbS controlling, it was smooth and comfortable.

C-Pad - Move
    D-Pad - Probably Scroll Menu
    A - Attack
    B - Jump
    Y - Dodge
    X - Scroll through commands
    L or R - Move camera
    L + R - Lock-on
    L + ABXY - Shortcuts

Where is the need for 2nd C-Pad TehSkull?? NOwhere

16. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I think people going say a game need or would be better with the 2nd stick (which may or may not be true) when they originally wouldn't just because of that add-on. [​IMG]

Anyway, nice videos. [​IMG]

17. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    There is no need but it's a nice adition to be able to control the camera with a C-Pad.

18. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Or maybe it's because most of the main and most important KH games were released on systems with 2 analog sticks.

19. Dingoo-fan 32

Member Dingoo-fan 32 GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I saw a d-link bar like BBS on the second screen [​IMG]

20. granville
    OP

United States
    To be fair, only about two KH games ever had the option to use a second analog stick. KH2 and Re:Chain of Memories. And one was a remake of a GBA game (GBA version that admittedly did not need it at all because it was 2D and had a self-managed camera system that worked fine). KH2 is really the only main series title that used the second analog stick for camera. Even KH1 didn't use it, it used shoulder buttons for the camera. Analog stick #2 was used as optional way of controlling the command list (but this was also done via the dpad). So really once you count them all out, there have been far more KH games that didn't have a second analog stick as camera control than did.