Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days review

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by CPhantom, Jun 16, 2009.

Jun 16, 2009
  1. CPhantom
    OP

Member CPhantom The Noob :(

United States
    [​IMG]Introduction[​IMG]
    So, I decided to to get my hands on this game being a fan of the series. I Wasn't expecting much out of this, being a DS game, and in general that scene isn't the best in releasing "top quality" material. Boy, was I wrong about that! Here is my quick little writeup on the game.

If you didn't know, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days takes place after Kingdom Hearts 1and before Kingdom Hearts 2, following the story of Roxas, who has just managed to get himself into the strange (and very blandly named) Organization XIII. Roxas is given a series of missions by the organization, and ends up working with a strange girl named Xion. To avoid ruining things, You can figure out more about this girl and Roxas' 358/2 days by playing yourself. [​IMG]

[​IMG]Gameplay[​IMG]
    Controls feel so wonderful with this that it almost gives me the feeling of going back to a PS2 controller. Scrolling menus was my biggest issue here due to the fact that you had to scroll through using the 'X' button, and if you passed something up, you could possibly end up screwing yourself over in the middle of a boss fight. That's not good. Targeting system for enemies felt pretty accurate to Kingdom Hearts 1&2 as well. Enemies, and especially bosses, felt dramatically harder to face compared to other Kingdom Hearts games as well, which gives a nice challenge to the game. And for a DS game, I managed to get a good 20 hours out of it. Very nice!

Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]Graphics[​IMG]
    If you couldn't tell by just screen shots and stuff from magazines...this game has to be one of the most finely built eye candy games out there. It lives up to that "Kingdom Hearts" style without removing much. Other than blockier character due to DS limits, this game remains heavily similar in style to earlier games and doesn't make you want to vomit when looking at it. In fact, the worlds you visit from the previous games are identical in their lower poly form.

[​IMG]Sounds[​IMG]
    Sound for 358/2 days wasn't the best quality I have heard. Granted, they had voiced movies within the game, but it just wasn't the best out there. It sounded really "scratchy" sometimes. Music, however, sounded wonderful over the voices. Pretty, clear and nice. It didn't bother me to much at all!

Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]Replay Value[​IMG]
    It seems that this game may have a fairly decent amount of replay to it after all! First off, when you start the game, you'll notice there is a "Story Mode" and "Mission Mode". Story is, of course, telling the story of Roxas. Missions, however, allow you to choose other members of the organization, play with and/or against friends, and gives a deeper level of detail to this already great quality game. Also, when you beat the game, you'll open up "Theater Mode", allowing you to go back and view the videos that showed throughout your game. Sadly, the game will not allow you to replay Story Mode again with your finished save. But, I'm sure the given replay value will be enough for a good few more hours

Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]Overall[​IMG]
    I found this game to be one of the finest games for the DS currently. A great story and gameplay make it even more entertaining and it feels just as though this could've been another release straight to the playstation. I recommend this game highly, and I do intend to actually BUY this game when it comes out. [​IMG] It'll also fill in much information for those of you who are fanatics of this game series!

2. NatureMade

Member NatureMade GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm sorry to be the first douche, and I'm not at all trying to discourage you from writing, because you did write it up well, but

"Biased review is Biased"

I mean really, KH 358/2 is a great game. but I feel like you're just throwing it lots and lots of 5-Stars for having the "Kingdom Hearts" Logo on the box. As an example, your sound score. You did bring up the point that sound quality wasn't the best, but you still gave it a 4? The music wasn't even that good, it was recycled songs from previous games, with VERY few unique titles. At best, sound deserves a 3.

Anyawy, this is a good review, and does cover all of the main points to the game. If I hadn't already played it, this would've convinced me enough to try it out.

3. Bleedingelite

Member Bleedingelite GBAtemp Regular

United States

Yeah, he gives it a perfect score for gameplay after saying the menu system is hard to navigate, which means that it's not perfect.

4. Cavedude

Member Cavedude GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah its hard to navigate cause we're all playing the jap version..lol maybe wait for the english then?

5. kayos90

Newcomer kayos90 Member

United States
    I've already written the review for 358/2 days but I'm waiting until the English version comes out because Story is 1/5 of the review score for my reviews. If anything I would have to give the gameplay in Kingdom Hearts a 9.5. It does a great job in customization and playstyle but there are few clunky moments when navigating the command menu during battles and camera will be erratic at times. Graphics are alright but it's still jaggedy and missing some detail. Music is great and voice acting is good for the jap version. Replay value will differ because it is only local play but i'll see how many times i can go through the game without getting tired. So far I would have to give the game a low 9. It's not perfect but it is one of the better games out for the DS.