Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

With Kinect's November launch looming, Microsoft has kicked the peripheral's marketing drive into top gear with these TV commercials. Don't they look familiar?

Front-on perspective, people waggling enthusiastically...yup, it's the Wii launch commercials all over again, the only difference being there's no catchy tune or humble little bowing Japanese men this time around.[/p]
Source

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
xD

I normally don't say that sony/microsoft steal ideas from nintendo or any other company...
But thid xD
I'm really sorry, but this IS stolen xD
Fail lol

kirby145

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not good... You are the controller.
That means my friends are going to throw themselves against the wall or tv
frown.gif

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
kirby145 said:
This is not good... You are the controller.
That means my friends are going to throw themselves against the wall or tv
frown.gif

I lol'd! That is exactly what Microsoft wants you to do! Sony and Mircosoft are in it together, so they can frustrate the gamers as they take out their anger on the TV or console.
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif

That's why People decide if they want to break anything, they will break the Wii for obvious reasons.
yaywii.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
BobTheJoeBob said:
Sure they look similar to the Wii commercials, but honestly what else could they have done.
This. There aren't many ways to show that your console reacts to waggling, other than showing people waggling in front of it.

D

Deleted User

poor nintendo... at purplesludge's post, yes. my blog has 'wii would like to play' on it.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Veho said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
Sure they look similar to the Wii commercials, but honestly what else could they have done.
This. There aren't many ways to show that your console reacts to waggling, other than showing people waggling in front of it.

That's funny. I can think of many ways to shoot a commercial without using a wide shot in a living room, and utilizing 2 second cut-away shots.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They don't expect it to do well. That's why they've been talking it up everywhere you look lately, and that's why they followed the same formula as something that already succeeded.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I can think of a commercial that moves away from the Nintendo idea, but that is if they were to take the Kinect as sort of a first step towards full-body virtual reality.

They open up to a large laboratory, with technical equipment along the sides and a chamber in the middle. A "test subject" is directed into the chamber, and the door to it is closed. The "scientists" activate the chamber, and the test subject floats up towards the center of it. Switch to the test subject's PoV. Once the chamber becomes fully activated, the laboratory fades out in a spectacle of light and special fx, and fades into multiple game scenarios while still shown through the subject's PoV, like in the front seat of a race car, or medieval times as an archer shooting down a dragon, or the dragon itself causing havoc. A dozen or so scenarios are shown, with each repeatably shown as the "interaction" comes to a close (like how movie trailers do split second shots before showing the title of the movie), which instead of showing the laboratory, there is just blackness, with the words "The greatest ideas always require a first step", which then could show the people in living rooms or wherever, playing on the Kinect.

This kind of commercial would probably end up with people thinking that MS would continue to develop towards that kind of experience, like some people may have thought that with the "PS9" commercial Sony made for the PS2. Actually, I now realize that this idea might feel like some copy of that commercial.....crap.

EpicJungle

stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't like the commercial...
Makes it look BORING.
I personally think this is worse than Ninty's commercial.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The commercials seem to forget that they are selling a game and not a TV show on DVD that tells you to jump and look stupid.
They show barely any gameplay at all. Its even worse than the Nintendo commercials.

Though it does scream out one thing well.
"Its just like the Wii!"
Which I think most casuals will be confused and start saying stuff like.
"I can't wait till the new Wii Kinect Move comes out, so much better than what I have for the Wii"
Or, "Nintendo Move looks so fun, whats that other one? Is the Kinect for the Wii too?"
Oh its gonna be a ball. Glad I don't work at a gameshop this Xmas season.

Can't wait for the price to drop on those things twice over next year.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
TwinRetro said:
That's funny. I can think of many ways to shoot a commercial without using a wide shot in a living room, and utilizing 2 second cut-away shots.
And what would be the point? Other than to show how hard you were trying to make your commercial unique and special. So it's set in a living room, maybe because that's where people get together to play their consoles? And it uses two second cutaway shots, big whop. It's what all the cool kids are doing, just look at Sony. The fact the commercials are similar only makes one crucial little detail that much more noticeable:

QUOTE(shadow1w2 @ Sep 27 2010, 10:19 PM) Though it does scream out one thing well.
"Its just like the Wii!"
"...but without all the remotes!"

And that's sort of the whole point.

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm why do I think that controller free gaming is gonna suck? C'ommon people... You have to hold something to your hands in order to feel immersed to the game and have fun... Kinect is EXACTLY like eyetoy for PS2...

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gullwing said:
Umm why do I think that controller free gaming is gonna suck? C'ommon people... You have to hold something to your hands in order to feel immersed to the game and have fun... Kinect is EXACTLY like eyetoy for PS2...
I think we've all realised that more then likely Kinect is gonna suck. But you never know.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Gullwing said:
Common people...
Common people?
QUOTE(Gullwing @ Sep 27 2010, 10:37 PM) You have to hold something to your hands in order to feel immersed to the game and have fun...
8vx0na.gif

It's all a matter of personal preference. To each his own, different strokes, whatever floats your boat, etc. etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.