Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Microsoft has announced several new product bundles that will be coming to market in the coming weeks and months. Even better, the company has finally offered an official price on both the stand-alone Kinect sensor and a bundled version that comes with a new Xbox 360. There's a lot of info here, so let's get right to it.

First up, the price. Kinect will have a suggested retail price of $149.99 (£129.99/€149.99 in Europe), as many online retailers have recently guessed. The news is that Kinect will be bundled with a free game, Kinect Adventures. All first-party Kinect games will have a suggested retail price of $49.99 (£39.99 in the UK) and Microsoft expects that to be the standard, though it is leaving third-party pricing up to those publishers.

Kinect on its own comes with a game for $150.

At least one third-party game will follow that standard. Microsoft has announced that Dance Central, from Harmonix and MTV Games, will also retail for $49.99/£39.99.

For those new to Xbox 360, Microsoft will have a special Kinect console bundle available at the November 4 launch of the sensor. For $299 (or £249.99/€299.99 in Europe), the bundle will include an Xbox 360 console, the Kinect sensor and Kinect Adventures. The Xbox 360 will be the previously confirmed $199 redesigned Xbox 360, not the 250 GB model that has spurred sales in the past month.

Microsoft has also announced the full details on that new Xbox 360 console model, which will be available August 3 in North America, August 20 in the UK and later in the month around the world. This version will have a 4GB internal flash memory, but no 250 GB hard drive. It still has a built in Wi-Fi N adapter, as well as all of the other bells and whistles of the 250 GB Xbox 360. The internal hard drive bay will remain, but will be empty at purchase. You'll be able to tell the difference between this new 4GB console and the 250 GB version as the 4GB model will have a black matte finish as opposed to the glossy finish on the more expensive model. Again, this 4GB model will cost $199 in the US.

Currently, there are no plans to sell the 250 GB hard drive that comes with the recently launched "slim" model separately.

Aaron Greenberg, Director of Product Management of Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, explained the pricing and bundle choices to IGN during a pre-announcement news briefing.

"We don't really make pricing decisions without doing a lot of research. We talked with thousands of consumers across a whole variety of audience segments, on a global scale. What we heard was that when people look at what they get with the Kinect sensor -- all the experiences it enables across entertainment, movies, music, using your voice to access your entertainment, your gestures navigating the dash, etc. plus all of the games coming to market -- our research shows that at $149 consumers feel like it's a great value for existing owners. And then for new buyers, the $299 bundle is extremely compelling."

"We're currently a full $100 less than the PS Move bundle which is $400, which is a single player experience. Obviously if you add a second player to that they get well over $500 pretty quickly."

As for why Microsoft chose Kinect Adventures as the free game to include, Greenberg said it had a lot to do with offering something new. "It's a great broad appeal game for existing and new buyers. It's got more than 20 game modes, everything from River Rush to Obstacle Course...We did a lot of testing with consumers and we really felt like this title had a great broad appeal. It's full body, it integrates voice. It's great jump-in jump-out multiplayer. We think it's a fun game to play for existing owners as well as new consumers...We thought about Kinect Sports, but we felt like Adventures was more new and unique."

Those who pre-order Kinect, either on its own or in the $299 bundle, will receive a download token for three additional exclusive levels for Kinect Adventures.

The $299 bundle allows new consumers to get Kinect at a cheaper cost than those that buy everything separately. Greenberg noted this in saying, "That's our primary focus, at least for launch, is the opportunity to expand the market."

What do you think of the Kinect and bundle pricing? Will you pick up any of the new products? Leave a comment and let us know what you think of Microsoft's decisions.

Source

Bolded the important info.

I mean, it's not outrageously overpriced in a bundle, but it's a bad product.

If you didn't feel like reading:

- Kinect is $150 USD. No ifs, ands, or buts.
- Kinect will be bundled with Kinect Adventures (like the Wii with Wii Sports)
- You can buy a $300 Kinect bundle that has a Kinect, Kinect Adventures, and a new redesigned 360 (which has 4GB internal memory and built-in Wi-Fi, no hard drive included)
- The 360 mentioned above can be purchased without a Kinect for $200.
- If you preordered a Kinect or a bundle with Kinect, you'll get 3 exclusive Kinect Adventures levels... Whoop-de-do.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Kinect on its own comes with a game

wacko.gif

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
QUOTE said:
...suggested retail price of $149.99 (£129.99/€149.99 in Europe)...

I really hate this, not that I'm interested in this product... but that $ = € bullshit is bullshit!
€1 = 9.84 Swedish Kronor,
$1 = 7.58 Swedish Kronor....

that means the european version will cost $195

Theraima

I own this desert, bitches!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Lol, Wii costs only like what, 50-100 dollars more and you get a console and a game.. Bad move. Very bad. You can pretty much get like half PS3 with that price.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Issac said:
QUOTE said:

I really hate this, not that I'm interested in this product... but that $ = € bullshit is bullshit!

ah yes my favorite, direct "conversions" are always so accurate! ¬_¬

Sir Spanky

Trophies
XP
Country
Issac said:
QUOTE said:

Yeah the the UK version (£130) works out at $198 lol

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I certainly had no interest in buying this in the first place, but now I don't think many people out there will.

Come on, $150 on TOP of the 360 (or $300 bundled), for what's essentially a Wii sports imitation?

D

Deleted_171835

This is Microsoft's internal take on it's motion controls total cost of ownership...
500x_custom_1279642602412_kinect_pricing_new.jpg

Scoff.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
This is Microsoft's internal take on it's motion controls total cost of ownership...

Scoff.

i don't have wii balance board but couldn't you count that close to being like kinect.i'm just saying this because not to sure but didn't the wii balance board let a person use their body as a controller in wii fit you know that soccer game where i remember seeing people use their head as a controller.i i could be wrong about what i just said because i don't have a wii fit to prove myself wrong or right.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SoulSnatcher said:

Scoff.
rofl2.gif
Microsoft are really full of themselves aren't they. Personally the idea of no controllers sounds even more gimmicky then motion controls. The kinect will fail, if it doesn't, then I question humanity's Intelligence as a whole.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
SoulSnatcher said:

Scoff.
Black Wii + Wii Sport + Resort + Motion plus cost 249,95$ in sweden
tongue.gif
(www.webhallen.se) i don't care a single shit about the balance board

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: