Kindergarten

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by mthrnite, Aug 27, 2007.

Aug 27, 2007

Kindergarten by mthrnite at 2:51 PM (1,689 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. mthrnite
    OP

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Well, I just got back from dropping off my oldest son at his school. It's his first day of kindergarten. I sure hope everything goes well. He never went to pre-school, so this is new for him and me both. He has a Spiderman book bag, and a new pair of Hot Wheels shoes, both of which he's very proud of, and wants to show off. He found a friend right away, and started playing Legos and pretty much ignored me, so I think this'll be rougher on me than him.

Oh well, just wanted to vent a little. I'll update at the end of the day. Wish us luck.

2. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Luckily it was easy for him, other way it would be harder for both of you [​IMG]
    Spiderman book bag [​IMG]

3. CCNaru

Member CCNaru Warn-free Since 2005

United States
    i'll doubt that he'll actually remember anything back then, so let him have fun and gl on your kid

4. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    awww the little guy is growing up!

good luck to you both, I'm sure he'll make friends real quick with those Hot Wheels shoes [​IMG] jks

5. ediblebird

Member ediblebird GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    i loved kindy, all the playdoh, the book reading and the fruit,there was always lotsa fruit! I hope he enjoys it as much as i did.

ahhhh to reminisce...

6. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    I lubbed the indoor sandbox the bestedest!

My mom, however, did not. She always wondered why I came back home in December with sand in my shoes... [​IMG]

And Mthr, I know it's a little early to be asking but, is he going to have a Kindergarten Graduation type thing at the end of the year? Kindergarten Graduation was one of the most memorable times in my life, it was great! [​IMG]

7. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Spiderman book bag!? Hot Wheels shoes?! LEGO??! mthrnite, you're not looking to adopt a 23yr old son are you? [​IMG]

8. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    The Spiderman backpack is pretty awesome.

He's been saying that he doesn't want to go to school, that he'll miss me. I think though, that he'll get into it pretty easy. He was smiling the whole time, and didn't glom onto me once while I was there. His mom came up for the day, and his little brother was there, so he got a supportive send off, even though his brother didn't want to leave and made a bit of a fuss.

There was an nice cross section of humanity there too, which made me feel good. He sat with an Indian boy, and there was Chinese and Japanese kids there, as well as the standard black & white & Latino. It wasn't like that for me in kindergarten, mostly just white kids, and one Japanese girl (that I instantly fell in love with... my first kiss! [​IMG] ) I think it's gonna be alright. I'm really anxious for 3:45 to roll around though, to see how things went.

Thanks for the nice comments, and yes Shaun, I'll adopt you... we have Tinkertoys too!

9. silverspoon

Member silverspoon GBAtemp Fan

10. Wolfsclaw

Member Wolfsclaw GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    I luv how english-speaking people say 'kindergarten' because it's 100% german and it sounds funny if you guys speak it out loud [​IMG]

11. silverspoon

Member silverspoon GBAtemp Fan

12. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    Actually down here, we call it kindergarden... but that's probably just lazy diction.

13. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    I learned about this in a child development course!

The origin of the word Kindergarten begins in Germany (is actually German word), where teachers would hold their classes outside, usually in a Garden. A wonderful approach to hands-on learning for youngsters IMO. [​IMG]

Kinder (Children) + Garten (Garden)

Ich spreche auch ein kleines Deutsch mich selbst [​IMG]

14. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    I have nothing but bad memories from back in Kindergarten... [​IMG] My teacher was really mean and she would put me in the corner(punishment you'd get) for leaving white parts while coloring(uncolored areas), or for coloring out of the lines. I was so scared to death of her... some years later I heard that she was no longer allowed to be a kindergarten teacher because she threw a spoon at her 3 year old daughter... [​IMG] Yeah, anyways...

15. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    I had a Tetris backpack!! It was a Gameboy (1st one) with Tetris playing on the screen.

My nephew started just 2 weeks ago, he didnt like it at first, and got kinda sad when my sister went away. But the next day, he was happy to go!

And around here, school starts at 8:30 and they come out at 11:15 am.... Strange that its 3:45 for such little guys [​IMG]

16. Wolfsclaw

Member Wolfsclaw GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Well we were able to go indoors too [​IMG]
    'twas a wonderful time [​IMG]
    back when life was easy!

btw it's "mit mir" not "mich" ... in case you really want to say "I speak a little german with myself" [​IMG]

17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    You have another kid I know but all the extra free time will be eerie.

Best of luck to you both.

18. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    [​IMG]

For some reason, that sounds just plain wrong, lol

Yeah, I need to take some more classes, I only have one year under my belt... [​IMG]

19. Bowser128

Member Bowser128 King Koopa

United Kingdom
    Having established that your son is cool
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

What a nice way to reassure mthr.

20. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    Oh, part of the reason I'm having a hard time is my bad memories of kindergarten. The first two weeks were hellish. Things are a lot different now though, and I know that. There's a lot more emphasis on development these days, and it's less about sloppily managed daycare (I went to KG back in 1970, a lot has changed, at least I hope it has.)

Once I know is alright and all that's going along smoothly, I'll put in daycare/preschool, and then daddy's gonna get a job.. hopefully in the school system, maybe in my sons' school (I gots it all figgered out, lol.) This is certainly a new chapter in life for me... an exciting one to be sure.