Hacking Kind of lost. Looking for a new flash cart

Kaelitz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm looking to replace my old R4, since YSMenu only added more time to a card already on life support. Currently I'm using a DS Lite, but buying a DSi is not out of the question in the future -- ergo, I'd like one card that's compatible with both the DSi and DS Lite. As well, making sure the card still works even after firmware renditions on the DSi is a must (or as close to needing a guarantee as possible); I don't want to buy a card just to have its usefulness patched out. In that regard, I was looking at the M3i Zero because it apparently can be upgraded not only for its firmware but also its kernel (or so I read on these forums). The Acekard2i on the other hand seems to be more prevalent among DSL/DSi users, but I'm unsure whether or not it can be upgraded as thoroughly as the M3i Zero (as in, its firmware can be upgraded, but can its kernel?).
I'm open to other possibilities as well, but these were the two that jumped out at me the most.
GBA support would be ideal but it's not a dealbreaker in and of itself. While I'd be replacing my R4, that doesn't mean I'll throw it out. I've still got my old EZFlash 3-in-1 that works with the R4 that I can keep.

I've lurked the forums a fair bit, but I haven't been able to come to a conclusion from just lurking, alone.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Updateable kernel only matters if you have a DSi and want it to work on 1.4 and future updates.

I still suggest m3i zero or m3 real because it supports Sakura (a really good firmware) and gets lots of fast quick updates from the team (I didn't feel like giving a full feature list so I just gave some main points
smile.gif
).

Kaelitz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is precisely what I was looking for, thank you!

So the Acekard 2i's kernel has to be updated with software, and if I were to get a DSi and it stopped loading of the card, I can see the problems. But like you said, it works with the DS Lite, and I could just use that to update the kernel, right?
I'm a huge pack rat so I'm not going to be rid of my DS Lite any time soon (hell, I still have my old DS phat growing dust).
I guess my last question would be the following:
How quickly are updates pushed out for the Acekard 2i versus the M3i Zero, and vice-versa?

nr4irts

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.gamezway.com
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
Updateable kernel only matters if you have a DSi and want it to work on 1.4 and future updates.

I still suggest m3i zero or m3 real because it supports Sakura (a really good firmware) and gets lots of fast quick updates from the team (I didn't feel like giving a full feature list so I just gave some main points
smile.gif
).
also think so,although it is a little high.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs