Kid Opts For Right Leg To Be Reattached Backwards

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
medium_img228_blog_post_02.jpg

When Dugan Smith was 10 years old, doctors discovered a tumor "the size of a softball" in his right leg. He had a rare form of cancer, and he'd need an operation to remove it. Instead of choosing a more standard procedure, The Post Game reports this week, Smith opted for a "rotationplasty," because he didn't want to give up baseball:

Dugan's lower leg would be detached, turned 180 degrees, and reattached higher. That would allow his ankle muscles and ligaments to do the job of his knee. Basically: his ankle would serve as a backwards knee. So his foot would be at the end of his thigh, and he could place it into a prosthetic and have more control over it.

Dugan slips his right foot into a prosthetic leg every day, and pitches for his middle school baseball team. We ask, in absolute end-of-the-week sincerity, that you take a moment to appreciate a kid who can smile like that when he's staring at his foot, swiveled 180 degrees away from where it should be, just because he knows he can play baseball now. What a world! And what a guy.[/p]

Source

People and the world just keep on getting weirder and weirder day by day, hour by hour....
rolleyes.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would have never thought of anything like this.

I hope he can get back on the team with this, we all know how coaches can be with things like this.

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Here's a video explaining this procedure.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJUcTbR2SY[/youtube]

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I was ready to post "that kid is fucked up" when I read the title.

But I think it's so awesome that he loves baseball that much. My best wishes to him.

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's gonna suck if ever the kid gets over his love for basketball.
then again, rotationplasty really isn't all that bad, especially when compared to the loss of the entire leg.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's with all the miraculous transplants and stuff lately? Also, this is inspiring and I admire their determination, but that's horrifying to look at.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Amazing really. Sure it is a little horrifying at first, but when you think about it, why shouldn't people in these situations be given one more chance?
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Is today the day you popped out of the oven?