Kid Game Designer

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Yuki Amano, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Yuki Amano
    OP

Yuki Amano GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    My 3DS
    At (removed) stance number one: Yes, I do know where babies come from. But I don't want to talk about sex in a video game forum.
    At stance number two: I've asked for permission, and they said yes.

2. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    In all honesty, why would your parents not allow you to build a website? My parents ENCOURAGE me to be creative. I say if you want to do it, and believe you can, go for it!

3. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010

4. Yuki Amano
    OP

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    My 3DS
    Everybody just stop talking about my age!!!!! Here is somewhere you can talk about my age: http://gbatemp.net/t...-on-this-forum/ You can use this introductions thread for welcoming me and giving tips, not arguing with me. Arguing is on the link. Click on it if you want to say I'm immature/too young.

5. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    My only advice is to make a bunch of games and share them with everyone. They don't have to be video games (or PC games, or whatever term you prefer), they could be board or card games - anything that shows you have talent or imagination. Even informal design documents (fancy way of saying 'scribbles on a piece of paper with arrows and little notes') can show that you aren't some braindead kid who got hung up on making the next Minecraft or Angry Birds. Also don't be one of these people that thinks their ideas are a gold mine and that some random company is scouring the internet looking for ideas to steal (cue 10 tempers who state they had their ideas were stolen).

And never forget, your job:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

6. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    Doesn't the COPPA act come into play here?

1 person likes this.
  7. Yuki Amano
    OP

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    My 3DS
    LOL! Thank you for not talking about my age. :P Anyways, I do take *most* of my ideas with a grain of salt, although I do want to stay motivated.

8. Yuki Amano
    OP

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    My 3DS
    The only "personal information" I've given away is my age and possibly my birth date.

9. pyromaniac123
    This message by pyromaniac123 has been removed from public view by a moderator, Oct 15, 2019.
    Mar 31, 2012
  10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    1. Welcome to the forums.
    2. Someone suggested that you should program for older consoles. Don't. Less resources at hand and potentially you'd have to learn assembly, which is a bit too hard for most people to handle. Choose a platform that's plentiful of libraries, like the Wii or the DS.
    3. Nothing wrong with you being young, but act mature. My adventure with forums started early aswell, but I quickly adapted to the rulesboard. Remember, nobody will let things slide, or at least shouldn't, because you're young.
    4. If you are serious about your dream, you are welcome to check my guide, among many others here. If it turns out that this is a tad too difficult for now, I recommend DS Game Maker which despite the name accepts C code and is a good bridge between a coding environment and a designer, I'm also an active member on their forums so you can count on assistance.
    5. Don't get trolled. Kids on the internet exchange thoughts and so on, adults spend most of their time impeding that. Including myself. It's a fun activity so don't get your panties in a bunch when that happens.

Once again, welcome and good luck on your path.

1 person likes this.
  11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ Waifu material

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    My real advise, is not to end up like this one kid on here who started making like 10 games, then stopped before they were even close to being alpha and complained when no one supported him.
    I can't remember his screen name anymore though :unsure:

12. Yuki Amano
    OP

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    My 3DS
    10 games?! I can't even imagine how much pressure was on him. I'm not going to do that much, don't worry. :P

13. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    I joined this forum when I was 11, no one has ever told me that :O

As for his dream of game developing, I'm sure if he wants to do it so much, he'll pull through eventually.

14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ Waifu material

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    They weren't all at the same time :P I hope :unsure:
    Edit: Just remembered his screen name, it was something like SkullCrusher, I believe he had his old account deleted

15. TehSkull

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    Aren't you supposed to be 13 to even register? COPPA and all that.

Edit: Xist got it first. I didn't bother reading past page 1.

Edit 2: That aside, my advice to you? Corona SDK

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If he's into game design then Java and other thingamajigs like it should be the least of his interest. He should focus on C and C++. ;)

17. TehSkull

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    That depends on the target platform, now doesn't it?
    If I wanted to make a PC game, I'd focus on C/C++. If I wanted to make an iOS game, I'd want to learn Objective C. If I wanted to make an Android game, I'd want to learn Java.

My recommendation of Corona stands for beginning game designers. Get your games out there in the easiest way possible. If people like your games, port them to C. That's what Terry Cavanagh did with VVVVVV. Made it in flash, ported to C.

18. Yuki Amano
    OP

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    My 3DS
    Thank you guys, but I'm not much into the coding aspect. I'm actually starting to lean towards the story part of video games more than design, but I'm still want to be a designer since I love making games. (And because I like to make the rules and be bossy...)

19. DrOctapu

DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

Dec 23, 2008
    United States
    Hell.
    It's pretty hard to just jump into game design already, but if you can't do art, music, or code then you're pretty much screwed.

20. TehSkull

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    So instead, you should, again, look at Corona. Corona helps you make games for iOS and Android with very easy to learn code.

21. DrOctapu

DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

Dec 23, 2008
    United States
    Hell.
    Also good:
    Game Maker: Cheap, has a good free version and C++ like syntax. Easy, lots of good games made in it.
    Byond: Free, mostly. Godawful community, good software. A few good games made with it, but a person with some talent could probably make something seriously great in it.
    UDK: 3D, and beautiful. Lots and lots of professional-looking indie games are made in this, and it's free for noncommercial use. You're probably going to need to know how to model to make incredibly sexy GOTY quality games with it, though.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted