Kid Game Designer

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,718
  • Replies 67
D

Deleted User

OP
On the point of the "Should a 12-year old mature guy be on a forum?" question, I agree that it all depends on maturity. Heck, I don't care if an 8 year old is on this forum as long as he's MATURE. Again, I'm not annoying anybody, and I already have experiences from bad forums (*looks at IGN*), and I hope you can just deal with it. I'm not saying you should "GTFO", but you should at least wait to see if I'm really killing the forum experience....

And yes, I won't try to overdo projects, although sometimes I get a little giddy. :lol:
I think you should ask yourself, would your parents condone of this?
If not, leave.

At (removed) stance number one: Yes, I do know where babies come from. But I don't want to talk about sex in a video game forum.
At stance number two: I've asked for permission, and they said yes.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all honesty, why would your parents not allow you to build a website? My parents ENCOURAGE me to be creative. I say if you want to do it, and believe you can, go for it!

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
My name on this forum will be "Kid Game Designer" until I can reveal my full name without my parents freaking out. I am (currently) a twelve year old that LOVES games, especially RPG ones from Nintendo. I also have a blog that will keep my portfolio. This blog will (hopefully) be about my adventures so I can be a game designer.
I don't care how old or mature you may think you are but you shouldn't be on GBAtemp or any discussion forum in general at this age. Oh and I guarantee you that the second you find out that developing games isn't as fun as you think, you'll abandon this silly idea.
...You're joking right? I've been browsing forums since I was 10. We have 10 year olds who browse the forums now. GTFO if they aren't allowed.

Also, his idea isn't "silly". It's something he aspires to be, whether it happens or not all depends on him. So...GTFO.
Lurking is different from posting. By all means, there's nothing wrong with reading posts and articles but he's too damn young to be posting on a forum.

And yeah, his idea is pretty silly but I'm not going to try and stop him. He'll abandon it himself once he realizes that.
Hey, when I was a kid I wanted to be a game designer, and you were right it's hard, But it's certainly MORE FUN if not just as fun making them than playing them, and guess what? I still want to be a game designer.

It's nothing wrong to have dreams you know.

Thank you for all of your responses. I think I'm going to get overloaded with posts on this forum, and fast. O_O I've never been on a forum this active...

D

Deleted User

OP
Everybody just stop talking about my age!!!!! Here is somewhere you can talk about my age: http://gbatemp.net/t...-on-this-forum/ You can use this introductions thread for welcoming me and giving tips, not arguing with me. Arguing is on the link. Click on it if you want to say I'm immature/too young.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only advice is to make a bunch of games and share them with everyone. They don't have to be video games (or PC games, or whatever term you prefer), they could be board or card games - anything that shows you have talent or imagination. Even informal design documents (fancy way of saying 'scribbles on a piece of paper with arrows and little notes') can show that you aren't some braindead kid who got hung up on making the next Minecraft or Angry Birds. Also don't be one of these people that thinks their ideas are a gold mine and that some random company is scouring the internet looking for ideas to steal (cue 10 tempers who state they had their ideas were stolen).

And never forget, your job:
15692.jpg

IS TO MAKE INTERESTING GAMES!!!

D

Deleted User

OP
My only advice is to make a bunch of games and share them with everyone. They don't have to be video games (or PC games, or whatever term you prefer), they could be board or card games - anything that shows you have talent or imagination. Even informal design documents (fancy way of saying 'scribbles on a piece of paper with arrows and little notes') can show that you aren't some braindead kid who got hung up on making the next Minecraft or Angry Birds. Also don't be one of these people that thinks their ideas are a gold mine and that some random company is scouring the internet looking for ideas to steal (cue 10 tempers who state they had their ideas were stolen).

And never forget, your job:
15692.jpg

IS TO MAKE INTERESTING GAMES!!!

LOL! Thank you for not talking about my age. :P Anyways, I do take *most* of my ideas with a grain of salt, although I do want to stay motivated.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
1. Welcome to the forums.
2. Someone suggested that you should program for older consoles. Don't. Less resources at hand and potentially you'd have to learn assembly, which is a bit too hard for most people to handle. Choose a platform that's plentiful of libraries, like the Wii or the DS.
3. Nothing wrong with you being young, but act mature. My adventure with forums started early aswell, but I quickly adapted to the rulesboard. Remember, nobody will let things slide, or at least shouldn't, because you're young.
4. If you are serious about your dream, you are welcome to check my guide, among many others here. If it turns out that this is a tad too difficult for now, I recommend DS Game Maker which despite the name accepts C code and is a good bridge between a coding environment and a designer, I'm also an active member on their forums so you can count on assistance.
5. Don't get trolled. Kids on the internet exchange thoughts and so on, adults spend most of their time impeding that. Including myself. It's a fun activity so don't get your panties in a bunch when that happens.

Once again, welcome and good luck on your path.

Reactions: 1 person

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My real advise, is not to end up like this one kid on here who started making like 10 games, then stopped before they were even close to being alpha and complained when no one supported him.
I can't remember his screen name anymore though :unsure:

D

Deleted User

OP
My real advise, is not to end up like this one kid on here who started making like 10 games, then stopped before they were even close to being alpha and complained when no one supported him.

10 games?! I can't even imagine how much pressure was on him. I'm not going to do that much, don't worry. :P

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My name on this forum will be "Kid Game Designer" until I can reveal my full name without my parents freaking out. I am (currently) a twelve year old that LOVES games, especially RPG ones from Nintendo. I also have a blog that will keep my portfolio. This blog will (hopefully) be about my adventures so I can be a game designer.
I don't care how old or mature you may think you are but you shouldn't be on GBAtemp or any discussion forum in general at this age. Oh and I guarantee you that the second you find out that developing games isn't as fun as you think, you'll abandon this silly idea.

I joined this forum when I was 11, no one has ever told me that :O

As for his dream of game developing, I'm sure if he wants to do it so much, he'll pull through eventually.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

10 games?! I can't even imagine how much pressure was on him. I'm not going to do that much, don't worry. :P
They weren't all at the same time :P I hope :unsure:
Edit: Just remembered his screen name, it was something like SkullCrusher, I believe he had his old account deleted

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
a twelve year old
Aren't you supposed to be 13 to even register? COPPA and all that.

Edit: Xist got it first. I didn't bother reading past page 1.

Edit 2: That aside, my advice to you? Corona SDK
If he's into game design then Java and other thingamajigs like it should be the least of his interest. He should focus on C and C++. ;)

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a twelve year old
Aren't you supposed to be 13 to even register? COPPA and all that.

Edit: Xist got it first. I didn't bother reading past page 1.

Edit 2: That aside, my advice to you? Corona SDK
If he's into game design then Java and other thingamajigs like it should be the least of his interest. He should focus on C and C++. ;)
That depends on the target platform, now doesn't it?
If I wanted to make a PC game, I'd focus on C/C++. If I wanted to make an iOS game, I'd want to learn Objective C. If I wanted to make an Android game, I'd want to learn Java.

My recommendation of Corona stands for beginning game designers. Get your games out there in the easiest way possible. If people like your games, port them to C. That's what Terry Cavanagh did with VVVVVV. Made it in flash, ported to C.

D

Deleted User

OP
Thank you guys, but I'm not much into the coding aspect. I'm actually starting to lean towards the story part of video games more than design, but I'm still want to be a designer since I love making games. (And because I like to make the rules and be bossy...)

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you guys, but I'm not much into the coding aspect. I'm actually starting to lean towards the story part of video games more than design, but I'm still want to be a designer since I love making games. (And because I like to make the rules and be bossy...)
It's pretty hard to just jump into game design already, but if you can't do art, music, or code then you're pretty much screwed.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty hard to just jump into game design already, but if you can't do art, music, or code then you're pretty much screwed.
So instead, you should, again, look at Corona. Corona helps you make games for iOS and Android with very easy to learn code.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So instead, you should, again, look at Corona. Corona helps you make games for iOS and Android with very easy to learn code.
Also good:
Game Maker: Cheap, has a good free version and C++ like syntax. Easy, lots of good games made in it.
Byond: Free, mostly. Godawful community, good software. A few good games made with it, but a person with some talent could probably make something seriously great in it.
UDK: 3D, and beautiful. Lots and lots of professional-looking indie games are made in this, and it's free for noncommercial use. You're probably going to need to know how to model to make incredibly sexy GOTY quality games with it, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Hi

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended