Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I happened to just have gotten a copy just yesterday, watched it twice today. Man, such a cool movie!
Especially hit-girl, and the whole "lost schoolgirl routine" towards the end.
I hope they make a sequel soon.

The comics were cool, too, and I heard they are making the second "book", so maybe there'll be a sequel in a year or so.

BTW, what on earth was big daddy shouting as he was getting burned to death? I couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this movie a while ago on my DS (needless to say, not the best quality). I liked it, I didn't love it.

Shinigami357

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Alright, I finally found it. Props to IMDB and Google, finally I can sleep in peace, wahahahahahaha.

BTW, Robin's Revenge... Cool concept, really cool concept.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Shinigami357 said:
BTW, what on earth was big daddy shouting as he was getting burned to death? I couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

I have to watch the movie, but I think he was telling her what to do. Don't quote me on that though.

Shinigami357

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chemistryfreak said:
I watched it only because of Nicolas Cage.

Seriously? IMHO Chloe Moretz stole the whole film.

"OK, you [censored]. Let's see what you can do now."
ph34r.gif

EDIT: How dare I misquote the great hit-girl???

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
This and Scott Pilgrim are my favourite movies of 2010. The movie just worked perfectly. I was expecting a parody of Super Hero movies but what I got was brutal, true and damned funny in places.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scott Pilgrim is fucking terrible.

It's basically Twilight, for gamers instead of 12 year-old girls. Paper-thin plot drizzled on top of a spongey loaf of fan service.

Kick Ass however was a pretty good adaptation of the graphic novel. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Shinigami357

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Issac said:
Hmm, put spoiler warnings for those who haven't seen it... dude!

Whoops. You have a point.

BTW...

IMDB says they've announced the sequel. Cool, something out there to wait for.

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:

It's basically Twilight, for gamers instead of 12 year-old girls. Paper-thin plot drizzled on top of a spongey loaf of fan service.

Kick Ass however was a pretty good adaptation of the graphic novel. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Yeahhhhh, the stories not meant to be taken seriously.Twilight expects you to take it's shitty Mary Sue story seriously.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
geminisama said:
Urza said:

Yeahhhhh, the stories not meant to be taken seriously.Twilight expects you to take it's shitty Mary Sue story seriously.
That distinction is not relevant to my point at all.

Shinigami357

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Urza said:

I'm pretty sure Scoot Pilgrim doesn't mess up it's references though, unlike, say, sparkly vampires. And wasn't it made by like a big gamer/fan? That prob explains it. I will prob get this movie when I see a decent copy pop up.

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
geminisama said:
Urza said:

That distinction is not relevant to my point at all.

Sure it is. You don't mention a paper thin story if it's MEANT to be like that. But then again, I never saw the movie, I just read the graphic novels, so you could be right, and it could be an abomination like Twilight.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami357 said:
Urza said:

I'm pretty sure Scoot Pilgrim doesn't mess up it's references though, unlike, say, sparkly vampires. And wasn't it made by like a big gamer/fan? That prob explains it. I will prob get this movie when I see a decent copy pop up.

Vampires are a creation of fiction. As such, from fiction to fiction the interpretation (and usage of the word) varies. Yes, while sparkling vampires is kind of a silly concept, it's not really a "reference" in the same sense as Scott Pilgrim's "references." It's simply a different take on the concept.

Sure it is. You don't mention a paper thin story if it's MEANT to be like that. But then again, I never saw the movie, I just read the graphic novels, so you could be right, and it could be an abomination like Twilight.
Except for your argument to be valid, there would have to be something of value present as a substitute for plot, excusing it's absence.

Having barely managed to churn through the first two novels, I can say with all confidence that there is nothing of value present in those pages.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are we seriously using spoilers for Kick-Ass? Shit, might as well use spoilers for the first Spider-Man film.

Also, Scott Pilgrim is an amazing film, I'm a huge fan of Edgar Wright.

Shinigami357

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Urza said:
Shinigami357 said:
Urza said:

Vampires are a creation of fiction. As such, from fiction to fiction the interpretation (and usage of the word) varies. Yes, while sparkling vampires is kind of a silly concept, it's not really a "reference" in the same sense as Scott Pilgrim's "references." It's simply a different take on the concept.

Technically, video games are a creation of fiction too. Dracula is actually a bit more real than say, Mario, because he was based more-or-less on this crazy dude in Transylvania (Vlad teh Impaler). I can understand changing some of it if it is for the sake of continuity, but sparkling is just, I dunno, way too lame for a plot device, and more of a "look this is a non-threatening vampire, 15 year-olds" thing. I think the only time they used it for any effect was when he was gonna go out butt-naked (so I've heard) in the middle of some city somewhere, and he'll get punished for it.

Anyway, that's not the point. I'm off to wait for the sequel (hopefully really soon) to kick-ass.

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Shinigami357 said:
Urza said:

Except for your argument to be valid, there would have to be something of value present as a substitute for plot, excusing it's absence.

Having barely managed to churn through the first two novels, I can say with all confidence that there is nothing of value present in those pages.

Well, that's your opinion. I enjoyed all 6 (the first 2 are a bit slow, I do admit), and got all the references just fine, even the obscure onces like "THAC0", which most gamers wouldn't get.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s