Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kick-Ass the comic was an very enjoyable and at times an original read...though it pissed me off that each issue was delayed.

Anyway the film came out over here last Wednesday, Me & the Mrs managed to get a babysitter to see it on Saturday and my word it was enjoyable! This is how adaptions should be done...well it could be better. In a way it was better than the comic, especially the last half being quite different which was expected as Miller hadn't actually finished it yet and so Matthew Vaughn & Jane Goldman had to keep going back to Miller. There were some changes that I didn't like such as how in the film you knew who The Red Mist was and also the handling of Dave Lizewski's love thing which to me was dealt with in a much better way than in the movie. Still complaints aside it wasn't fucked up like the Hellblazer/Constatine movie was.

All the characters were done really well, even though Red Mist to me was different it was a welcoming change. Direction I could not fault and while the screen play was better in the last half (aside from Dave not walking in on his Dad doing something and the love story being totally different) in the first half I really missed the great dialogue that the comic had especially in regards to Dave and his friends comments on superhero movies. Big Daddy in the comics was more The Dark Night...in the movie he is more Adam West's Batman, which for me was better as it showed the dorky side of the character as well as showing him to be a fucking awesome crime fighter. Big Daddy's back story was also changed in this film, I wont say how as it could spoil the story for some perhaps. For me it was better in the comic.

The language is toned down a lot in the film but its for the best, in the comic it seemed too excessive. I do find it hard to believe this film with its violence and language (cunts is said a few times) managed to make a 15 rated over here and yet in the US its rated R which to me is too harsh.

A future classic? I think so, its easily one of those films that I could watch over and over and I never found myself to be bored at any time, in fact I'll probably be able to accept the changes and enjoy it more the second time round. Had I not read the comic before I would have deemed it as a perfect comic book movie, still as a comic book movie its light years ahead of many that have graced the screen.

Now can someone adapt Millers 1985 into a movie?

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I have never read the comic (I heard about it), but movie looks fantastic to me (from the trailers)....I'm looking forward to it, I'm glad to hear you liked it, I'm even more convinced I'll love it.

It's coming here in a week, and I'll be sure to watch it
smile.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people look into things too much. As a complete none racist I didn't even notice they were "minorities".

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I really wanna see this as well. I'm like Toni and I've never read the comics but damn does the film look like a blast! There's no cinemas here for a good 30 miles so I'm gonna have to download it so will probably be a while before I do.
frown.gif

Blastoise

Trophies
XP
Country
Hadriano said:
yet in the US its rated R which to me is too harsh.

The yanks tend to give alot of things an R rating quite easily... they're a little stricter in some parts and a little more lenient in other ways.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Heh, it looks so goddamn awesome. Never read the comics before, but the trailer made me want to watch it.

Only coming to Singapore theaters 15 of the month(which is like this thursday). Though I'm not really sure if I'm gonna have time to watch it(or if its gonna follow USA and have a nc16 or above rating, I'm not 16 until December dammit). At least gonna have a watch on the computer. At least.

Thanks for the recommendation Hadrian. Well, it's one of those times when you actually are useful.
wink.gif

The Ey Man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just watched it today. I have to admit, it was pretty funny. The jokes were awesome, and the realism (kinda) of it was great as well.
There was sudden twists everywhere, but the ending was predictable and not so stunning. 8.5/10.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well shit. It's coming out this Friday here (April 16), and i cannot wait to see it. Wife® and I have a planned Date Night for it (as the Folks® will be looking after WildToo).

Glad to hear its good! I'm really looking forward to it.

(i, too, have not read the comics. though i should.)

Rogue Trader

Trophies
XP
Country
Saw it, liked it. Saw it again, loved it. Might end up seeing it a third time tomorrow, which will either push it to movie gold, or i'll be completely sick of it....only time will tell.....

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy. Fuck.

Just got home. Wife® & I went to see this for our first night out since WildToo.
This movie was fucking great. I'd love to see it again.

Hit Girl is my hero.

That is all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1