Hardware Keyboard/Mouse Combo for HTPC

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the best wireless mouse and keyboard combo for a gaming-capable HTPC (as in, I will be using them to play games, in addition to control the interface of XBMC)?

Key features would include solid range, anti-ghosting, and BlueTrack technology (or equivalent).

I tend to avoid Logitech stuff because for whatever reason their general design aesthetic looks horrible to me, but if they end up being the best then they are the best.

EDIT:

To clarify, here is what I envision:

I will have my gaming PC/HTPC next to my television. The mobo I'm looking at includes support for an IR receiver, so if (the majority of the time) I end up wanting to just watch a movie, I will just grab my universal remote and control it via that.

Other times, however, I will want to use the PC to play games. Some games are just made to be played with a controller, so I will be using an Xbox 360 controller receiver on the system. That way I can just grab a wireless controller when I feel like playing one of those, navigate the interface that way, and jump right into a game.

As we all know, though, some games just play better with a mouse and keyboard. So I want input method #3 to be a wireless, gaming quality mouse and keyboard that can be used from the couch. Wireless is a must as we have a ton of energetic animals running about the place all the time.

I would also like to be able to use my mouse without necessarily having a pad or something, so BlueTrack technology or equivalent that would let me use it on the fabric of the couch would be awesome.

Finally, the mouse/keyboard combo will allow me to do more involved tasks easier like browse the web or do work right on my TV.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Logitech diNovo Edge:
dinovo_edge_biggie.jpg

And the battery lasts forever on it so you can have it out of the dock for a month without having to recharge :)

But if that's out of your price range I don't know what the next best option is. I love mine though.

Reactions: PityOnU

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Hey, this guy tries to avoid Logitech, so let's link him nothing but Logitech!"

Hate to be that asshole, but - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-920-003070/dp/B005DKZTMG

If I'm gonna talk from personal experience rather than out of my ass, I'll say I have had very few problems with this.

The only things I don't like is that the keys are a little small for my tastes, the left mouse button is a little less responsive than the right (but there is a second LMB and the touchpad also supports taps and gestures), the range seems pretty short (I only get a few feet out of it in my bedroom, but I've also got it sitting next to more electronics than my half of the town owns, combined), and the lines on the touchpad are meaningless.

Edit - then again, I brought it over to my buddy's house one night and used it further range than I normally do, and I had no problems with it. It's probably something in my room. I'm running two computers, a home theater system, a TV, monitor, and Android TV stick all in the corner of my room, along with a 3DS, phone, and tablet. There's probably some interference somewhere :tpi:

Edit 2 - it's also something that Target carries, and I think for the same price as Amazon. So buy it there, try it, and return it if it's shit or doesn't live up to your expectations.

Reactions: PityOnU

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses, all.

If Logitech is the best, do not be afraid to suggest that. I'm just saying I generally avoid them (although the diNovo looks much better than 99% of their other stuff).

Please keep in mind that reliable range is going to be hugely important for me. The receiver(s) will be located right next to my wireless router and a wireless Xbox 360 controller receiver, both of which run on the 2.4GHz band. Whatever it is will need to be able to slice through interference like butter.

EDIT: Holy shit that diNovo is $300!? Sorry, man, totally not worth it.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Controller-Google/dp/B004VD4F1W

The buddy I mentioned in the last post has the k700 (whereas I have the k400). Virtually the same thing except the k700 is for Google TV (but works with anything that can support standard USB keyboard/mouse, just like the k400), but it too uses the Unifying receiver, so it's going to perform the same way as the k400. It looks a little nicer though, but I don't think it looks nice enough to justify the price difference where the k400 does exactly the same shit. He's never mentioned range problems with his, so it really might be interference on my end (or I got a bum unit).

I'm not sitting next to a router, but I am occasionally sitting next to a 360 wireless controller receiver, a bunch of magnets (speakers for my HT system), tv/monitor, HT receiver, computers, and Wifi devices, like I said. He's got less going on than I do, so I really think it's on my end. It doesn't sound like you have too much going on either, so I'd venture to say you might be alright too, but that's why I like buying in brick-and-mortar stores when possible.

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Controller-Google/dp/B004VD4F1W

The buddy I mentioned in the last post has the k700 (whereas I have the k400). Virtually the same thing except the k700 is for Google TV (but works with anything that can support standard USB keyboard/mouse, just like the k400), but it too uses the Unifying receiver, so it's going to perform the same way as the k400. It looks a little nicer though, but I don't think it looks nice enough to justify the price difference where the k400 does exactly the same shit. He's never mentioned range problems with his, so it really might be interference on my end (or I got a bum unit).

I'm not sitting next to a router, but I am occasionally sitting next to a 360 wireless controller receiver, a bunch of magnets (speakers for my HT system), tv/monitor, HT receiver, computers, and Wifi devices, like I said. He's got less going on than I do, so I really think it's on my end. It doesn't sound like you have too much going on either, so I'd venture to say you might be alright too, but that's why I like buying in brick-and-mortar stores when possible.

That K400 is something I was looking at because it looks pretty decent and has a lot of functionality.

I did forget to mention, though, my HTPC will be gaming-capable ( AMD APU FTW CIA NBC), so the keyboard/mouse combo I am looking for would need to be able to be used for that as well as controlling XBMC.

Sorry about that. SHould have been more specific in the original post.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are we talking mouse-and-keyboard gaming, or are we talking controller gaming and launching shit through a frontend/xbmc?

For mouse-and-keyboard, I can't recommend anything except a run of the mill wireless mouse and keyboard on the cheap, but still a decent brand. The k400 isn't gonna be good for mouse-and-keyboard gaming, for sure, and I can't see any mini-keyboard and touchpad mouse like that being good either. (Edit - just to clarify, I'm saying you should probably be looking for a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse, or to save space, a thumb controlled trackball mouse (idk if I've seen wireless ones though)

I used mine as a wireless mouse and keyboard for my server (which resides under my bed). I've got my normal gaming mouse and keyboard on my desk and occasionally my wireless 360 controller and receiver, with my desktop hooked to my monitor and TV; the server goes VGA in to the TV and I just control it with the k400 since I don't need to get in that often. Now I moved it to my Android TV stick (see how much redundant shit I have set up in one corner of my room?); mouse and keyboard functionality with the k400 works fine (shorter range though, probably because all of my shit), and then I Bluetooth in with a PS3 controller via SixaxisController for gaming.

But I've used the k400 for both Plex and XBMC as well as casual browsing/usage and it works fine; as well as a normal keyboard works for it. Nothing special but it's small, compact, wireless, and all-in-one.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
XBMC is largely arrows and a tiny bit of mouse. If someone else has to use it as well I would suggest not going with an all in one and instead getting a remote* and a keyboard.

*some remotes do have a full keyboard as well.

Also if you are using HDMI then there is a measure of support for HDMI CEC. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=CEC
As such things are about as useful as expecting DNLA to mean something good I would not pin my hopes on it though (it is a standard but one oh so loosely followed) and if you later change TV then it could change again.
Bonus 2 is media is also able to be readily controlled from network devices (phones and tablets even having dedicated remote programs) so eh.

Gaming grade wireless keyboard then. Does it have to sit on your lap or do we have a table for this? If it has to sit on your lap does it need to be a narrow one (think most laptop keyboards)?
USB or bluetooth? I am guessing we are trying to avoid wires/up significant other approval factor so no chances of snaking a USB extension to a better place for more range.
I am a bit out of what there is in the way of wireless gaming grade stuff so I will bow out for the moment/pending further info.

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies again, all. To clarify, here is what I envision:

I will have my gaming PC/HTPC next to my television. The mobo I'm looking at includes support for an IR receiver, so if (the majority of the time) I end up wanting to just watch a movie, I will just grab my universal remote and control it via that.

Other times, however, I will want to use the PC to play games. Some games are just made to be played with a controller, so I will be using an Xbox 360 controller receiver on the system. That way I can just grab a wireless controller when I feel like playing one of those, navigate the interface that way, and jump right into a game.

As we all know, though, some games just play better with a mouse and keyboard. So I want input method #3 to be a wireless, gaming quality mouse and keyboard that can be used from the couch. Wireless is a must as we have a ton of energetic animals running about the place all the time.

I would also like to be able to use my mouse without necessarily having a pad or something, so BlueTrack technology or equivalent that would let me use it on the fabric of the couch would be awesome.

Finally, the mouse/keyboard combo will allow me to do more involved tasks easier like browse the web or do work right on my TV.

Does that explain it a little better?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a logitech k360 and a logitech m305 for my htpc
The mouse works pretty much on any surface and is on sale all the time for about $12, keyboard for $20

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like you more or less are looking for a standalone mouse and standalone keyboard then, rather than a keyboard+trackpad, right?

Right

Man, I really wish Microsoft still did the SideWinder series of products. Still have my X8 mouse - that thing was a beast.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks for the responses, all.

If Logitech is the best, do not be afraid to suggest that. I'm just saying I generally avoid them (although the diNovo looks much better than 99% of their other stuff).

Please keep in mind that reliable range is going to be hugely important for me. The receiver(s) will be located right next to my wireless router and a wireless Xbox 360 controller receiver, both of which run on the 2.4GHz band. Whatever it is will need to be able to slice through interference like butter.

EDIT: Holy shit that diNovo is $300!? Sorry, man, totally not worth it.
You should be able to find it cheaper, I can find it for closer to $200 here and Norway is known for being one of the most expensive countries in the world.
Anyway, my own experience with it is pretty good. I have trouble with anything wireless in my apartment as it seems no signal reaches further than 1.5m but that's not the fault of the diNovo.
My only gripes with it are that the touchpad is too small, and being round, you notice that especially well when you try to move diagonally. Also, you can't disable tap to click on the touchpad, but I actually got used to having that enabled so it's no longer a problem.
It feels great to type on though, it looks sleek, it has all the keys you need (though inconveniently you have to press Fn to access some of them) but it's not very advanced on the software side of things. There's not a whole lot you can configure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4