Ken Levine: Bioshock Infinite Won't Have Multiplayer

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bioshock Infinite, the ambitious spiritual sequel to 2007's Bioshock, has had something of a rough development cycle. The game has been beset with delays, and several key staff members quit midway through development.

Well, now we're seeing the toll of all this chaos behind the scenes. Ken Levine dropped a bombshell, one that might (bio)shock you.

Ken Levine, boss of Irrational Games, revealed on Twitter that there won’t be any multiplayer mode for Bioshock Infinite and they won’t change that decision.
arrow.gif
Gamechup

From this announcement, it appears that the game will now be entirely single player-centric. On the one hand, that could cost the title potential customers, and it could shorten the replayability factor considerably. On the other hand, though, the game was primarily single player focused to begin with, and the original Bioshock was an entirely single player experience as well.

Of all the things to trim here, it might as well be multiplayer. As long as we get a great game, hopefully in 2013, I'll be more than satisfied.

Still, it's sad to see our experience in the city of Columbia curtailed - this is what comes of making the sky the limit.

Reactions: omgpwn666

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Finished Bioshock ages ago and still stuck around half way in the second one. Too many multiplayer games nowadays that I don't seem to have time to play them :I

Hopefully this gets finished sooner than later.. Even without multiplayer

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Good. I'm so damn tired of seeing multiplayer either tacked on as an afterthought, or seeing single player suffer because they wanted to shoehorn in multiplayer , because the think every damn game needs it.

Good to see some common sense every once in a while.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good. I'm so damn tired of seeing multiplayer either tacked on as an afterthought, or seeing single player suffer because they wanted to shoehorn in multiplayer , because the think every damn game needs it.

Good to see some common sense every once in a while.
If only I could like this post more than once...

Reactions: Qtis

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't this already announced... a while ago? Alongside it, who really cares of multiplayer is included or not, let alone in a game like this.

et plus, these puns are really fucking annoying and at times even attention-whorey. News should be expressed as neutral as possible, and for sure not in some gimmicky, pandering fashion

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good, them and Nintendo are some of the few developers who don't force multiplayer into titles. There are so many games out there that would be so much better if the team was allowed to focus on the game itself rather than pad it out with multiplayer modes people stop playing after a week or so.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is fine honestly, there are single player games and there are multiplayer games. I'm tired of watching every game trying to be both these days.

Reactions: Depravo

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Bioshock never was a game that needed Multiplayer, and if I'd want something from Infinite, then it'd have to be co-op, simply because puzzle-solving actually works on Multi, as shown by Portal 2. It's not a huge loss though as long as the campaign will be interesting.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuck multiplayer. I play games for the actual experience anyway, not for the joy of hearing children cuss like sailors during online matches. That said, with delays and the sole focus being on single player, they better release a damn good product.
Likely they will, but let's hope it won't be a let down.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bioshock 1 = No Multiplayer = Fantastic Game
Bioshock 2 = Multiplayer = Very forgettable game.

I think it's smart. Not every game has to have multiplayer, no should it. Hell, I think Assassin's Creed is a prime example of that. Scrap the multiplayer in that, then it might be good as AC2 again.

Reactions: DinohScene

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This was announced before yes.

Personally I couldn't be more exciting.
Multiplayer in Bioshock just doesn't fit.
Only multiplayer I can think of in Infinite would be focused on the skyrails.

Anyway it's great to see that a game isn't focused on multiplayer.
More time on the singleplayer means a more polished game.
Which I can't say of some games.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Infinite isn't a direct sequel?

No; it's actually set 50 or so years before Bioshock, and doesn't appear to have any connection to Rapture whatsoever. Which is fine in my book; it frees the developers to explore new ideas without being tied down to the bottom of the ocean.

Bioshock 1 = No Multiplayer = Fantastic Game
Bioshock 2 = Multiplayer = Very forgettable game.

I think it's smart. Not every game has to have multiplayer, no should it. Hell, I think Assassin's Creed is a prime example of that. Scrap the multiplayer in that, then it might be good as AC2 again.

I'd seriously disagree there; Bioshock 2 is far from the "Bioschlock" most people labeled it as. In some ways, I'd say it surpasses the original; while the first Bioshock game had a strong first half before petering out, the sequel starts off slow but quickly picks up momentum.

Also, Bioshock 2's multiplayer was actually pretty good. It was only held back by its small community, which isn't exactly the developer's fault.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No; it's actually set 50 or so years before Bioshock, and doesn't appear to have any connection to Rapture whatsoever. Which is fine in my book; it frees the developers to explore new ideas without being tied down to the bottom of the ocean.

I'd seriously disagree there; Bioshock 2 is far from the "Bioschlock" most people labeled it as. In some ways, I'd say it surpasses the original; while the first Bioshock game had a strong first half before petering out, the sequel starts off slow but quickly picks up momentum.

Also, Bioshock 2's multiplayer was actually pretty good. It was only held back by its small community, which isn't exactly the developer's fault.

Which just proves that the game shouldn't have Multiplayer.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i have no problem with this now they can focus solely on a great single player experience and not have it dumbed down by lame mp full of sniper tards

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM