Hacking Keeping SX OS and upgrading to 12.0.0

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

2 of my kids have their own usd card that they boot from. Each one have they preferred games with them when we travel.
Both usd cards are running SX OS 3.1.0 with FW 11.0.0. They are NOT running emunand.

It looks like SX OS is not going to be updated.
Besides the games in xci format, here's the folder structure on both card.

upload_2021-5-6_10-12-59.png

I purchased a brand new usd card that should be home tomorow.

is there a way to setup the new one to boot a custom firware that would allow the console to be updated to the latest FW but still be able to go back to their USD cards running SX OS and their actual 11.0.0 firmware ? This way, they could still be playing the stuff they play now in xci and use the new usd card for newer games that I can install for them from nsp files ?

Thanks

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can use an emunand and update that with the latest firmware for use with Atmosphere and Another emunand with FW 11.00 and use that for SXOS.
So how do I go about setting up the new usd card with an emunand and have SX OS boot atmosphere for instance and then update the system on emunand ?

ModDog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you happen to have a good video of setting up a emunand for atmosphere? I'm kinda in the same thing I have given up on SX OS and need to transition to atmosphere

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you happen to have a good video of setting up a emunand for atmosphere? I'm kinda in the same thing I have given up on SX OS and need to transition to atmosphere

I found a tutorial (in French): http://www.logic-sunrise.com/forums...er-une-emunand-dune-switch-avec-sx-os-sx-pro/

I got the new usd in the mail. I also downloaded atmosphere-0.19.2-master-14ed4e40+hbl-2.4.1+hbmenu-3.4.0 and Signature Patches - Supports HOS firmware 12.0.0 (and 12.0.1) and AMS 0.19.2. I also have a fusee-primary.bin (not sure where this one should go)

1. Should I just put everything at the root of the new usd card along with the boot.dat file from SX OS and turn the console On while pressing the Vol + button to access the menu and create the emunand from there ? (this is what I understood).

2. Then, how to boot directly into atmosphere when turning the console On (so the kids or me don't mess up) ?

3. What tool do I use to update FW to 12.0.1 (I read somewhere Choidujour could fail sometimes) ?

4. Please confirm, the kids using their own usd card only running SX OS could continue using those cards with FW 11.0.0 and no emunand)

Thanks.

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
OK, I've created Emunand and set the theme to black so we know we are in Emunand.
I can easily boot either OFW or CFW (SX OS) from the SX OS boot menu.

Before I update to 12.0.1 on emunand, how do I boot onto atmosphere and not SX OS (or how can I boot atmosphere from the SX boot menu at statup of the console) ?

If choidujour is unsafe to update, what tool should I use instead ?

BTW, where do the signature patches go on the usd card?

upload_2021-5-11_20-44-26.png

Thanks.

Last edited by Aglae Pheryl,

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
OK, I've created Emunand and set the theme to black so we know we are in Emunand.

Before I update to 12.0.1 on emunand, how do I boot onto atmosphere and not SX OS (or how can I boot atmosphere from the SX boot menu at statup of the console) ?

View attachment 262555

Thanks.

Wrong section ? Should I post this to
Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 262555

Thanks.
You can chainload either fusee_primary or Hekate from the SX OS menu or directly use those payloads instead of the SX Loader to launch Atmosphere. ChoiDujour only supports up to firmware 6.1 so you cannot use it to update even if you wanted to. If you want an alternative updater, you can try Daybreak which comes bundled with Atmosphere by default. As to where to place the patches, you first have to understand that there are 2 different sets of patches which are determined by which bootloader you use to launch Atmosphere which I previously mentioned: fusee or Hekate. Once you know which bootloader you use, you open that folder and put those files onto your SD card.

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can chainload either fusee_primary or Hekate from the SX OS menu or directly use those payloads instead of the SX Loader to launch Atmosphere. ChoiDujour only supports up to firmware 6.1 so you cannot use it to update even if you wanted to. If you want an alternative updater, you can try Daybreak which comes bundled with Atmosphere by default. As to where to place the patches, you first have to understand that there are 2 different sets of patches which are determined by which bootloader you use to launch Atmosphere which I previously mentioned: fusee or Hekate. Once you know which bootloader you use, you open that folder and put those files onto your SD card.

How do I chainload fusee_primary or Hekate from SX OS menu ? Which one of these 2 should I pick ?
This is what I have on the usd card:
upload_2021-6-3_16-41-52.png

upload_2021-6-3_16-42-39.png

upload_2021-6-3_16-43-14.png

I extracted Hekate+AMS-fss0-sigpatches-19.3-cfw-12.0.2.zip to atmosphere & bootloader folders.

I'm not sure what to do from here. Am I missing files ?

From my understanding (basic) it is the boot.dat file that runs first.

Thanks.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I chainload fusee_primary or Hekate from SX OS menu ? Which one of these 2 should I pick ?
This is what I have on the usd card:
View attachment 265426

View attachment 265427

View attachment 265428

I extracted Hekate+AMS-fss0-sigpatches-19.3-cfw-12.0.2.zip to atmosphere & bootloader folders.

I'm not sure what to do from here. Am I missing files ?

From my understanding (basic) it is the boot.dat file that runs first.

Thanks.
You simply select the fusee_primary.bin file on your SD card from the menu.

Reactions: Aglae Pheryl

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You simply select the fusee_primary.bin file on your SD card from the menu.
I installed update 12.0.1 from Daybreak after booting from the fusee payload. It worked fine.
I could reboot to the SX OS and it is still showing 11.0.0 while Atmosphère is showing 12.0.1

XCi files work fine from SX OS (11.0.0) BUT when I use one of the previous usd cards from my kids (the ones that only have SX OS on it), the console boots up to the SX OS splash screen and then all I get is a black screen.
Any idea why and do you have a way to fix this (my daughter's favorite games are on USD1 that is only SX OS 11.0.0.

Thanks

EDIT: Luckily I could boot Atmosphère/Daybreak again and install FW 11.0.0 again.
I tried launching the USD one (the one without Emunand) that is running SX OS and it can boot again.
My daughter will be happy to be able to play her games but proble remains... how can I update to 12.0.1 on emunand/Atmosphere and still be able to boot the other USD card only running SX OS in 11.0.0 ?

Last edited by Aglae Pheryl,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed update 12.0.1 from Daybreak after booting from the fusee payload. It worked fine.
I could reboot to the SX OS and it is still showing 11.0.0 while Atmosphère is showing 12.0.1

XCi files work fine from SX OS (11.0.0) BUT when I use one of the previous usd cards from my kids (the ones that only have SX OS on it), the console boots up to the SX OS splash screen and then all I get is a black screen.
Any idea why and do you have a way to fix this (my daughter's favorite games are on USD1 that is only SX OS 11.0.0.

Thanks

EDIT: Luckily I could boot Atmosphère/Daybreak again and install FW 11.0.0 again.
I tried launching the USD one (the one without Emunand) that is running SX OS and it can boot again.
My daughter will be happy to be able to play her games but proble remains... how can I update to 12.0.1 on emunand/Atmosphere and still be able to boot the other USD card only running SX OS in 11.0.0 ?
All you do is boot into emuMMC and then use the homebrew application Daybreak, which comes bundled with Atmosphere by default, to update the firmware. To update the firmware using Daybreak, you will have to find the Nintendo Switch firmware files on your own. They cannot be linked due to being copyrighted files.

Aglae Pheryl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
All you do is boot into emuMMC and then use the homebrew application Daybreak, which comes bundled with Atmosphere by default, to update the firmware. To update the firmware using Daybreak, you will have to find the Nintendo Switch firmware files on your own. They cannot be linked due to being copyrighted files.
I had updated to 12.0.1 from Daybreak. The problem comes up when I use one of the previous USD cards my kids have (these have no emunand setup and just boot SX OS to run xci files). After I updated to 12.0.1 booting from these cards oinly displayed the SX OS splashscreen for a bit then went to a black screen.

I just want to know if it is possible to update to 12.0.1 on the latest usd card and still be able to boot from the older usd cards my kids have that is only running SX OS with FW 11.0.0 and SX OS 3.1.0

Thanks.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a way to setup the new one to boot a custom firware that would allow the console to be updated to the latest FW but still be able to go back to their USD cards running SX OS and their actual 11.0.0 firmware ? This way, they could still be playing the stuff they play now in xci and use the new usd card for newer games that I can install for them from nsp files ?

Thanks

Assuming you have the SX Core chip, If you have an OG Erista you can burn fuses and update to latest firmware and still use SX OS 11.0 emunand. Those using any other version of the Switch (Patched Mariko, Lite) are out of luck.

Also of note, right now all firmware checks are soft checks and can easily be patched out with NSC_Builder or Tinfoil. Games like Monster Hunter RIse work just fine as Super XCIs with latest updates on 11.0.0. There's no reason to update to latest firmware yet.

I had updated to 12.0.1 from Daybreak. The problem comes up when I use one of the previous USD cards my kids have (these have no emunand setup and just boot SX OS to run xci files). After I updated to 12.0.1 booting from these cards oinly displayed the SX OS splashscreen for a bit then went to a black screen.

SX OS wont boot on 12.0.1. You need to make an emunand and downgrade with Daybreak.

Last edited by raging_chaos,
Reactions: Aglae Pheryl

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I just want to know if it is possible to update to 12.0.1 on the latest usd card and still be able to boot from the older usd cards my kids have that is only running SX OS with FW 11.0.0 and SX OS 3.1.0

Thanks.
If you updated sysMMC to 12.0.1, SX OS will no longer work. If you updated emuMMC to 12.0.1, then there are no issues.

kronictripy420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks

Wut he is saying is that u can use daybreak to switch sysnand to ofw on 11.0.0 then update emunand to this ver. Using daybreak then dump emunand, then update sysnand to 13.2.1 using daybreak then when ever ur kids want to play u would just install emunand ver 11.0.0 over ur current emunand ver but I would just forget about sx os 😭😭😭😭😭 I know I have it and sucks they were the best but atmosphere has come a long way tho and the only thing u have to do is migrate to atmosphere also u can use the payloader that came with sxos u can put different payloads on it instead of sx os like hekatepl so the end result would be put ur payloader tool in ur switch like sx os but with the hakatepl on it and it will load like sx ox but with the hakatepl+Atmosphere

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's such conflicting results on this.

Can you boot into SXOS 11.0.0 emunand from 13.x.x sysnand?

Half the people say yes. Half say no.
emuMMC has no bearing on sysMMC. I know there was a time when it did prevent it but that was fixed a long time ago so I doubt that bug resurfaced. The people who can't in that situation are doing something wrong.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
emuMMC has no bearing on sysMMC. I know there was a time when it did prevent it but that was fixed a long time ago so I doubt that bug resurfaced. The people who can't in that situation are doing something wrong.
I got told you can boot SXOS emunand from 13.x.x but it will break cartridge loading.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself