Keeping rxtools or installing Luma3DS to use emuNAND

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by MaladroitJoypad, Nov 25, 2016.

1. MaladroitJoypad
    OP

MaladroitJoypad Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2015
    Germany
    Hello guys!

Since I'm getting no answers in existing threads, I thought it would be good to open up a personal thread. Main problem: cant play Pkmn SuMo cartridges on my O3DS. I'm using rxtools and mset exploit to access emuNAND and getting the "Card was removed"-error messages, when I try to play SuMo. The emuNAND should be on latest FW version iirc and sysNAND is on 4.5 (because setting up a different exploit than mset on a higher FW version did not work in the past).

So there are different ways to play fcking SuMo now:

1. setting up another exploit and update sysNAND to ??? => playing SuMo on sysNAND, other games on emuNAND (not deleting rxtools)

2. setting up another exploit to use Luma3DS to access emuNAND that way or putting emuNAND to sysNAND ??? (not deleting rxtools)

3. overwriting existing mset exploit so that Luma3DS is booting instead of rxtools (=deleting rxtools)

So the ??? means its just theoretical, not proven. I read a lot about that topic, but the most of it just ends in "get a9lh u scum", but thats not the point. To keep it simple; there are reasons I cant install a9lh atm. Point 3. might not work (read the spoiler).

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Problem here; Luma got updated and requires now a "luma3ds.nds" file to setup Luma3DS on mset exploit, but I dont know wth I 've got to do with that.

So, maybe there is somebody out there, who might help me. I need to know, which method is the most painless one, if there are other possibilities and a concrete list of step I need to do so that I finally can play SuMo.

Last edited by MaladroitJoypad, Nov 25, 2016
  2. The Minish LAN

The Minish LAN hi

Sep 9, 2015
    discord
    out of curiousity why cant you install arm9loaderhax?

3. Trolling

Trolling This Username is taken. Problem?

Jul 29, 2012
    Netherlands
    Behind you
    Do yourself a big favor and delete that broken piece of shit and use Luma3DS.
    If you really don't want to install A9LH than go for option 2.

4. MaladroitJoypad
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2015
    Germany
    @The Minish LAN I read about how to install arm9loaderhax, and it seems to be a bit more complicated and time-sucking, but my time on a pc with a functioning sd card reader is very limited, my home pc doesnt have a sd card reader and every device with one which I could use to bypass the problem wants to formate my 3DS SD card. In other words: my technology-karma is the worst. :wacko:

@Trolling I dont know why rxtools has such a bad reputation but I played over 600h with its emuNAND. ^^

Edit: @Trolling OK, I understand that. My personal boot rate is nearly 100% and I never noticed anything being unstable.

5. Trolling

Trolling This Username is taken. Problem?

Jul 29, 2012
    Netherlands
    Behind you
    Well it's because RXtools was still in Beta when it was abandoned, and you can see that by the instable boot rate and outdated patches like its region free.
    Nowadays it's so outdated that it doesn't even support the latest native-firm what is needed by games like Sun and Moon. All we want is that users switch to Luma so users can enjoy a more stable CFW.

6. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    I was forced to swap out rxTools for a newer game, too. before that I went frankenfirmware.
    Now I have menuhax + luma (was just a swap out of files done in 5 minutes) and will continue that way. a9lh is not for me.

7. MaladroitJoypad
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2015
    Germany
    @naddel81 Could you tell me, how do you setup menuhax and stuff like on what FW is your sysNAND and which system (old oder new 3DS) are you using?

naddel81 likes this.
  8. clancy94

clancy94 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 18, 2008
    @MaladroitJoypad you can pick up microsd card readers for ~$5.

I'd highly recommend converting, Rxtools is dead, development has stopped and luma is the easiest and most hassle free way to go these days (once its set up). I've hacked about 6 3DS' using palitects guide and it's a seemless process, the first time I did it, it took about 2 hours but definitely worth it in the end.

9. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Just get the latest release of luma and run it on menuhax on your emunand.Get comfortable with luma and then consider switching to a9lh if you want better update protection and the ability to unbrick without a hardmod.

10. MaladroitJoypad
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2015
    Germany
    Anyone got some current tuts about setting up menuhax then? ^^

Edit: @naddel81 Thx!

11. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    sysnand 9.2. menuhax was done via wurstpistoles tutorial here earlier this year. I am on N3DS XL majoras mask special edition.

MaladroitJoypad likes this.
  12. Funkentanz

Funkentanz GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I downgraded a new N3DS today to 9.2 and installed A9LH, the process is so easy, I was done in under one hour, not time consuming at all.
    I remember it wasn't that easy a year ago I did A9LH on my O3DS. It just look that much, because it is a detailed step by step guide, you can do it ;)

Last edited by Funkentanz, Nov 25, 2016
  13. MaladroitJoypad
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2015
    Germany
    Sooo... I tried to upgrade my sysNAND to 9.2, install menuhax and so on, but I stucked at upgrade sysNAND to 9.2. At first my rxtools 2.6 couldnt install FBI over Health and Safety App on sysNAND, which is needed for the sysUpdater App, and it didnt have a devmode either, so upgrading from there was impossible, so I installed the latest rxtools 3.0b. It has a very shitty bootrate, cant use mset exploit, cant boot into emuNAND and it cant install FBI over Health and Safety App on sysNAND too.... so I had to backup the rxtools 2.6, luckily it works tho lol.

Anyway to get Luma3DS+setting up another exploit without upgrading to 9.2? Or another way to upgrade 9.2?

14. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Here use this guide if menuhax is being a pain for you. https://plailect.github.io/Guide/
    Make shure you follow everything here word for word if you want the best of Luma's features.

Quick tip:if you are on a old 3ds uninstall menuhax then follow the part in the guide that tells you how to launch decrypt9 through the webbrowser.