Keep Virgin from destroying the internet.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Trolly said:
Damnit I hate this. Ever since NTL told everyone to switch to Virgin Media because they were going bankrupt, it's only been bad news. Most of last week I couldn't actually load Youtube vids and sites were soooooooo slow because of Virgin. I tested the speed and it said I was Dialup (56k) speed. Absolutely ridiculous. And now this...

Thing is, my Dad isn't gonna get off his arse and change ISPs just after we already changed, so I dunno what to do. Stupid Virgin. Never use it, it's absolutely awful!

They're taking it a little out of perspective by saying they've killed our right of freedom, but I agree this is serious if they're gonna start limiting certain sites.

I think you need to rethink what you just said. All of it.

I was under the impression that NTL-Telewest were bought by Virgin Media UK.
Youtube is slow (relatively) on a BT dedicated fibre optic that I borrowed usage of at school. Maybe one of their many content servers were being hammered.
Speed could be limited by P2P, or others on your street using vast amounts of bandwidth.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fair usage policy, port blocking (to thwart p2p), throttling of some websites are already in place with most ISPs and is enforced if you use a lot of their bandwidth.

FrEEz902

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Panzer Tacticer said:
Net Neutrality is a serious matter.

But dang, does that girl honestly plan to fuck any virgin that signs on to the cause
smile.gif

Ask yourself, would you want even your condom wrapped tool anywhere near some activist sluts over visit hole?

So what she's doing virgins. It's the fact she'll clearly spread em for any bloody stranger on the planet. And while you can generally tell when a gal is a virgin, there's no real proof a guy hasn't had the pleasure.

I also think those blokes could stand to get someone that's actually articulate in their video.

They sounded like annoyed inarticulate geeks in a snit over the matter.
They sounded more like foreigners (which i think they are). Anyhow they do have a point. The fact that she's offering sex for this is too drastic though, i mean how can you tell the guy is a virgin, or the fact that he cares about the internet etc?

Chotaz

I'm back! :D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xJonny said:
Fair usage policy, port blocking (to thwart p2p), throttling of some websites are already in place with most ISPs and is enforced if you use a lot of their bandwidth.

Absolutly true, but if they finally decided to announce it after months or even years applying such measures, I guess it will be in a much severe way don you think?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
ChotaZ said:
xJonny said:

Absolutly true, but if they finally decided to announce it after months or even years applying such measures, I guess it will be in a much severe way don you think?

Every ISP already announces they do this, so I can't see anything else happening.

This whole thread is pointless scaremongering. ChotaZ, Is Virgin Media your ISP?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FrEEz902 said:
Panzer Tacticer said:

But dang, does that girl honestly plan to fuck any virgin that signs on to the cause
smile.gif

Ask yourself, would you want even your condom wrapped tool anywhere near some activist sluts over visit hole?

So what she's doing virgins. It's the fact she'll clearly spread em for any bloody stranger on the planet. And while you can generally tell when a gal is a virgin, there's no real proof a guy hasn't had the pleasure.

I also think those blokes could stand to get someone that's actually articulate in their video.

They sounded more like foreigners (which i think they are). Anyhow they do have a point. The fact that she's offering sex for this is too drastic though, i mean how can you tell the guy is a virgin, or the fact that he cares about the internet etc?

Or the fact that its not a scam of sorts exploiting nerds, who will never get anything in return?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
ChotaZ said:
xJonny said:

Every ISP already announces they do this, so I can't see anything else happening.

Quoting myself

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadband/faqB...nd.adp#answer26

What is AOL Broadband's Fair Use Policy?

As part of our ongoing commitment to provide reliable and high-quality broadband services, AOL Broadband has a Fair Use policy on its internet services in the UK. This enables us to manage the network better and ensure we can continue to deliver the best possible service at all times to all our subscribers.

A Fair Use policy means that we may introduce some form of network management against specific individuals if we feel that they are abusing their broadband usage beyond a level that would be considered reasonable. For example, using AOL Broadband 24 hours a day, every day, to continuously download large files is not a reasonable use for a residential service.

As another example, we might also manage the AOL Broadband service at peak times to ensure everyone is getting a stable, reliable connection across the whole network.

similarly for BT:

http://www.btbroadbandoffice.com/products/fairusepolicy

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
FrEEz902 said:
Panzer Tacticer said:

smile.gif

Or the fact that its not a scam of sorts exploiting nerds, who will never get anything in return?
never get anything?

They get laid if she actually goes through with it

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Here's the thing. If it's real? Some virgins have sex. If it isn't? You've just been tricked into helping the cause by posting on a forum in favor of net neutrality, and the eventual payoff is a better internet for us all. It's win/win.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mewgia said:
Linkiboy said:
FrEEz902 said:
Panzer Tacticer said:

smile.gif

never get anything?

They get laid if she actually goes through with it
Thats my point: She wont. She's just trying to get more support for net neutrality.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In the US, there has been a lot of flack over ISP heavy hitters being intrusive on net usage.

But I am more familiar with Bell Canada and their Sympatico services recent actions which has created a major shit storm of anger.

I recently turfed Bell Canada over the matter, and have elected to move my needs to Teksavvy.

Now some of the controversy is not much to some and a lot to others.

I have one friend that likely has too much money in his pocket, because he thinks Bell Canada is "ok" and that's just crazy.
My switch to Teksavvy also came with a savings of 15 bucks a month, and for better service.
Bell is currently losing a lot of customers over this issue.

But the world is not uniformly equal.

If you have no alternative providers, you are usually screwed.

But competition in North America is brutal, and if the ISP pisses you off, chances are there are several options you can tap into.
This often leads to some interesting conversations on the phone.
Sadly (for Bell, not me) they prefer to hire phone jockies from India.
I don't have anything against east Indians. But they are not born speaking English, and make very shitty choices for phone jockies in Canada.
Sooooo when you send an east Indian to speak to me about staying with Bell Canada, chances are you get laughed at.

I usually hang up the second my name is badly mangled on the introduction. Nope, that is NOT how you pronounce my name, and I clearly don't want to listen to you rape the English language
smile.gif

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
arctic_flame said:
ChotaZ said:
xJonny said:

Quoting myself

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadband/faqB...nd.adp#answer26

What is AOL Broadband's Fair Use Policy?

As part of our ongoing commitment to provide reliable and high-quality broadband services, AOL Broadband has a Fair Use policy on its internet services in the UK. This enables us to manage the network better and ensure we can continue to deliver the best possible service at all times to all our subscribers.

A Fair Use policy means that we may introduce some form of network management against specific individuals if we feel that they are abusing their broadband usage beyond a level that would be considered reasonable. For example, using AOL Broadband 24 hours a day, every day, to continuously download large files is not a reasonable use for a residential service.

As another example, we might also manage the AOL Broadband service at peak times to ensure everyone is getting a stable, reliable connection across the whole network.

similarly for BT:

http://www.btbroadbandoffice.com/products/fairusepolicy

I know, I even read my ISPs fair usage policy. The point is that they already use measures like this to make profit for themselves.

I doubt ISPs will make other websites not sponsored slower, and I don't think it's taking away our freedom.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If your ISP sells you a 500k service, and then arbitrarily takes it back for any reason however logical it might seem they have committed fraud basically.

If you paid for it, it's yours. You bought it, they are required to deliver it.

Now if they can't sell 1000 users 500k service because they can't manage 1000 users all using 500k service at the same time, they shouldn't go and sell it. Selling it knowing they can't deliver it is again, fraud.

Fraud is a criminal offense (I think in any country you can name).

So even if you buy 500k service, just so you can download illegal content 24/7, and actually do so, if the ISP sells you 500k service, it's still fraud to withdraw it arbitrarily after you paid for it.

This is the crux of the matter.

We have ISPs thinking fraud is ok so long as they are targeting people they think are committing crimes with the service.

"Fair use" is a worthless term. It's just their way of excusing away their own fraudulent actions. "Policy" doesn't have any power to usurp the laws of the land by the way. They can't enforce something they can't make you agree too, if it violates the law of the land.

"Fair use" as a concept, has as much value as some of my admittedly whacky ideas. It's right up there with "I paid for the downloads legally, the ISP sold the data to me". Be it a corporation, or an individual, if the notion is considered a crock of shit in a courtroom, it's a crock of shit.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Panzer Tacticer said:
If your ISP sells you a 500k service, and then arbitrarily takes it back for any reason however logical it might seem they have committed fraud basically.

If you paid for it, it's yours. You bought it, they are required to deliver it.

You agreed to a contract when you bought it. All your arguments are null.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: