Keep the Xbox 360 Running Cooler?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Garchomp, May 15, 2011.

May 15, 2011
  1. Garchomp
    OP

Member Garchomp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have fixed my xbox 360 from its RRoD problem. Now i just want to keep it cool. Would just a simple 12v fan mod work to the DVD drive power?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    12V certainly helps but that is not the best place to tap for it (1 I am not sure if the current for the fans and the DVD drive together will overwhelm the thing just expecting DVD power and 2 putting fans (motors) in line with more sensitive digital stuff that is not built to take it is not the best idea)-
    the 12V line on the regulator that most people use ( http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/360-12V-fan-Mod.htm )
    or the 12V directly from the PSU (this takes going to the underside of the motherboard and can lead to issues reassembling the case so few go for it).

If it was a JTAG you do have a new SMC modding tool that can drop thermal cut-off levels but I take it from the other thread this is not the case here.

3. Garchomp
    OP

United States
    i just dont have a soldering iron or any type of soldering skills that's why i want a dvd drive 12v mod

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I did the 12v mod via dvd drive power, havnt had any problems, I rarlely use the dvd drive anyway
    all my games are copied to the hdd

what I did was strip a very small segment of rubber insultor off the 12v wire
    then where the fan power connects to the mobo, remove the plug and you can stick in a pin (paper click, doesnt matter) and remove the hooks from the plug, that way you dont have to cut the power wires and you can put it back if you want, leave the ground in the plug
    then just simply hook on the 2 fan power connectors to the 12v line and wrap it with electrical tape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Garchomp
    OP

United States
    Oh yeah one more concern.....can you still flash your Xbox 360 even with the fan power going into the DVD drive? I know you have to remove some stuff while your doing a flash with Jungle Flasher and I dont want the fans cutting off and the Xbox overheating while im flashing.

6. benson733

Newcomer benson733 Member

Canada
    You will have no issues using the dvd drive 12v power source. Its what I use on my retail console and a few other consoles. Its the method that they use on talismoon brand fans. If you don't want to mod it yourself just google "Talismoon whisper legacy" and find a seller appropriate to your location.

PS. You should not be using your xbox to flash your drive, its not safe and can potentially get you flagged.