nloding

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The eternal Linux battle -- KDE or Gnome?

I'm new to Linux, using Ubuntu to start and loving it thus far. Anyhow, I know I just need to mess with both and find what I like, but I want to know what the Linux users on GBATemp use.

I'm looking for something I can customize the hell out of and looks pretty. What do you look for? Why do you like Gnome over KDE, or vice versa?

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Gnome!
Easy, Good and supports Compiz Fusion
smile.gif

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started using linux with kde, I have had gnome several times but I don't like it, I have used kde for about 6 years and it only got better and faster

CrimsoniteX

Trophies
Website
crims0n.us
XP
Country
United States
With KDE 4.0 out, you probably will want to go with that. They did a really good job with it. I thought you could use Compiz Fusion with KDE?

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I use KDE (on Kubuntu) for the functionality. I don't need a pretty linux. The linux boxes I have only act as servers or development machines.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I chose KDE. But it was a hard choice.

Everyone should try them both. They're both awesome, and which one you use is you're personal choice. I used both KDE and Gnome for several years. My brother and sister are both KDE fans.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
With KDE 4.0 out, you probably will want to go with that. They did a really good job with it. I thought you could use Compiz Fusion with KDE?
Yes, IIRC, CompizFusion also works on KDE. I think there's some repo out there with some easy-install CompizFusion for KDE.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Customization-wise, go with KDE and knock yourself out. I think Linus torvalds called the gnome devs "interface nazis" and he's pretty much spot-on.
But... I use GNOME because customization is nice, but DOING SOMETHING WITH YOUR LIFE is more important.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I preffer Gnome just because it's lighter..

Anyway.. I'm a linux "hardcore" user and I do most my stuff on the terminal.. so I don't care about which is easier to use or prettier..

Anyway.. if you can.. try both.. and decide for yourself.. I would also recommend you to try XFCE
wink2.gif

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gnome for a lighter but still full-featured desktop. If you want to customize, however, I'd recommend KDE.

Horaay for choices
grog.gif
- don't forget there are quite a few others...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would I be slapped for saying Xfce?

I do not tend to use linux (but it was Xfce for the few times I did) as it presently lacks what I want.
I also checked out the others like Étoilé, ede and elightenment but as conjuction apps or quick tests so I probably should not comment.

Still while I would probably go KDE if I was to use linux it will have to presently be gnome courtesy of GTK+ that The Gimp and GAIM use and G-parted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche