OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
KBlade's Lego Rock Band DS Review​

lego-rock-band-logo-1024.jpg

Okay, so here's my first game review on a title that just came out.

Overview and Impressions:
When I first played this game, I saw the striking similarity between it and Rock Band Unplugged. I thought that it would be a lot better than Guitar Hero: On Tour, a title which often got mixed reviews. This game is an excellent rhythm game and probably better than the console versions.

The game starts with a very cute and funny opening. Very good graphics for a DS game I must say. We are greeted upon by some modes of gameplay.

Quickplay: The standard mode where you play any of the game's 25 songs. A notable thing is that all songs are unlocked from the start.

Tour: This mode is a mode where you travel around and build different vehicles in order to perform "gigs" and earn stars, which unlock different things, fans, and studs, which is the currency of this game. You may customize your characters here, in which clothing and instruments can be bought using your earned studs. There is also the office, where you can change your band name and hire people to increase fans. There is the Den, where you can watch all cutscenes and customize it, like a small home, again with studs.

Tutorial: A mode where you learn how to play.

Multi-player: This is a mode where you can play with friends with their own cartridge. This is a new and noticeable difference from Rock Band Unplugged. It features up to 4 people, each with their own instrument. This can make things too easy though.

Options: Here you can customize any of the game's options.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sound:
The sound quality is excellent. The only flaw is that at times, the sound isn't loud enough. However, it can be fixed easily with headphones.

The soundtrack is very good also. It lives up to the "friendly for all ages" motto. It includes songs which are very well known. The soundtrack does have some flaws (like "Let's Dance", Bowie has a lot of better songs than that), but it is overall great. Some good ones are "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions by Queen, "Ghostbusters", "Kung Fu Fighting", "Life is a Highway", "I Want You Back", "So What" (well, maybe some of you won't agree but I like the song) and many more.

9.5/10

Graphics:
Surprisingly good for a DS game. The characters are adorable, and in the same style that made the LEGO brand so popular. It allows for a good amount of character customization, and has a lot of vehicles which are very cute. There are cutscenes with very good graphics, and the top backgrounds are good also. The cute Lego notes are nice, and the customization allowed in your Den is nice also. The only flaw is that at times, the graphics can be blocky.

8.5/10

Gameplay:
The gameplay is nice. The new system of this game is that the goal is to keep the band member's "happy". This means constant shuffling through members. You must hit purple blocks to make one member happy and that multiplies the score. The blocks become transparent thus allowing you to switch without missing notes. The difficulty is turned down (to he point where it's only hard in expert mode) but I guess it's for the whole "good for the whole family" image.

The quickplay mode is the mode you'll be using a lot. Tour mode is fun, and it has a lot of cute gimmicks. Overall, the gameplay is very good.

8.8/10

Replay Value:
You'll find yourself coming back to this game very often. It is because it's a good pick-up-and play Rhythm Game and it's a whole lot of fun to play over and over again. Although the game's number of songs to play is limited (the DS can only handle so much) it works as a good Rhythm game which will keep you happy.

Overall Score: 8.8/10

I'd recommend this to anyone who's in search of a DS Rhythm game!

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
benjaminlibl said:
Good review. Although it would've been nice if you'd posted the whole tracklist. I did a quick search and decided not to get it.

Besides the super crappy track list, the game is really very good.

How can they remove Foo Fighters, Jimi Hendrix and Bon Jovi and still call it Rock Band?! But then, its LEGO, so I kinda expected it.

Other than the track list, I have no complains about the game, customization and gameplay and video graphics are all great.

benjaminlibl

Funky Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Domination said:
Besides the super crappy track list, the game is really very good.

How can they remove Foo Fighters, Jimi Hendrix and Bon Jovi and still call it Rock Band?! But then, its LEGO, so I kinda expected it.

Other than the track list, I have no complains about the game, customization and gameplay and video graphics are all great.
It's probably about the same as the one on PSP, isn't it? I thought it was OK. Track switching is a pretty cool idea, but not enough to keep me coming back for more.

Plus, the game feels too easy. I'm used to playing DJ Max, so..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr