Kaz Hirai details his plan to save Sony

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by heartgold, Feb 2, 2012.

Feb 2, 2012
  1. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom

After Sony's disappointing third-quarter financial report today, soon-to-be President and CEO Kazuo Hirai took the stage to discuss his plans for saving the troubled company. His four-point plan consists of building on Sony's core competencies, getting its TV house in order, figuring out where it can cut costs, and speeding up innovation.

1. Re-enforcing Sony's core businesses: Hirai recognized that digital imaging and gaming are Sony's strong suits, and stated that he plans for the company to capitalize on its assets in these areas in order to strengthen its position in the growing mobile market, which will become a big focus for the company after it takes full control of the Sony Ericsson partnership. In addition, the new CEO wants to apply the advances the company has made in digital imaging to the medical industry, hopefully turning it into a future core business. He also wants to leverage Sony's gaming assets by building unique mobile products only Sony can provide.

2. Pulling together Sony's TV business: Hirai believes TVs will continue to be at heart of home entertainment, but LCD TVs have been commoditized and Sony can't waste any more time futzing around in this market. Sony divested of S-LCD last year and the new CEO plans to continue on this asset-light approach, being selective about the use of resources, and considering collaborations with other companies in order to reduce costs. At the same time, he believes the company can use its proprietary Crystal LED and OLED technologies to create compelling TV products.

3. Transforming Sony's business portfolio: Sony has diverse businesses, which has been good for the company in some ways, but it needs to figure out which of its products are becoming commoditized products without added value so that it can either get rid of them, or make better use of collaboration to reduce costs.

4. Accelerating Innovation: Hirai believes Sony is well-positioned to make the medical area a future core business. Sony has a lot of innovations in sensors, signal processing, lenses, and displays, and can create innovative products by applying these to endoscopy, X-Ray diagnostic equipment and ultrasound. The company was reportedly interested in acquiring a 20-30 percent stake in Olympus (although Hirai refused to comment on the proposed deal), which would be a perfect fit given its strengths in both imaging and medical equipment. The soon-to-be CEO also added that Sony needs to strengthen ties between its R&D and business groups, a movement that he is spearheading.

Hirai went on to say that since 2009 he's been focused on producing products befitting of the name Sony — "wonderful products" with a focus on creating a compelling user experience. In fact, Kaz came back to the subject of user experience repeatedly, stressing that creating great hardware just isn't enough. Responding to a question about management changes, Hirai also said he wants to focus on the free exchange of ideas, and build an executive management team that will challenge his ideas, rather than surround himself with a bunch of yes-men.

http://www.theverge....ai-4-point-plan

2. Fyrus

Member Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

France
    Wait a minute, this thread is posted twice ?

3. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    The other was posted in the 3DS sub-forum accidentally by me.

4. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    This sounds remarkably good. Paring down their business and focusing on excellence within a narrow spectrum which they have a proven track record in is a good move toward stability and profit. Let's just hope that they retain that focus in their future products.

5. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    Good, that fool Stringer is gone. Sony lost a lot of money cause of that guy.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah I gotta' say that actually sounds like a plan made in reality for once.

7. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Good luck Sony.
    ..You'll need it :evil:

2 people like this.
  8. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    The Japanese economy tanking hasn't helped Sony one bit either though....they were in dire straits beforehand, and it only made it more difficult to keep on top of things. It's nice to see some streamlining will be undertaken to smooth things out, improving things for both Sony the company and it's customers.

9. jarejare3

Member jarejare3 PROFILE CHANGE!

Malaysia
    Finally some action from sony!

10. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    After the recent news about their losses, I'm sure the investors will welcome this. It all sounds pretty good, so now we have to wait and see how well they implement it.

11. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    At least someone has a damn plan. Sony just seemed like it was aimlessly conducting business without thinking about what they were doing.

12. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    he forgot to mention number 5... :creep:

13. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    To be fair, Stringer did help sony's movie and music industry bounce up, but when a company goes from being worth $100B when you start there to being worth $18B when all is said and done, that's hard to ignore.

14. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    "Hirai also said he wants to focus on the free exchange of ideas, and build an executive management team that will challenge his ideas, rather than surround himself with a bunch of yes-men."

I like his approach.

15. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    One of the things that always prevents me from buying Sony products is their proprietary accessories, memory cards in particular. When I buy a device, I want to be able to use memory cards I already have lying around or upgrade it for a reasonable price. Sony's cameras already use SD in many cases, but the Vita demonstrates that they still want to force people to buy their own standards.

16. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    "Plans to save Sony" is a very bold title considering the fact that Sony's nowhere near bankrupcy.
    ^
    |
    |
    See what I did there? It's bold. It's a truth you can't refute.

17. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    Part 5, booby trap the stalemate button...

1 person likes this.
  18. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    They would love to hire prowler_