Katakana character input required on non-Japanese FW. How to proceed?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by chango, Apr 16, 2016.

1. chango
    OP

chango GBAtemp Regular

Dec 5, 2005
    Syria
    Hello.

I'm trying to play Aikatsu! 365 Nichi no Idol Days, a Japanese exclusive. I have a EUR N3DS/emuNAND. Usually when I'm playing a Japanese game, when the built-in Nintendo text input box comes up, there are Japanese characters available to use. But there are a few games that don't, such as this game. The problem with this game however, is that it demands that I enter my name using Japanese Katakana characters (This is a Nintendo home menu error message). Does anybody know any sort of work-around?

2. Chelsea_Fantasy

Chelsea_Fantasy GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 25, 2014
    Cuba
    Same question here with a Tamagotchi game!

3. Rusb

Rusb GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2014
  4. Chelsea_Fantasy

Chelsea_Fantasy GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 25, 2014
    Cuba
    just for a game.....
    will be good if someone knows a workaround

5. DesuIsSparta

DesuIsSparta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Weaboo land
    I don't know exactly how to do it, but it's possible to modify the input text at runtime (so via RAM), and either inject a Japanese keyboard (you'd need a ram dump from a Japanese console or a console with access to the keyboard) to learn how to do it, or you'd have to enter some text if you're able and change the result... which would be the easiest way.

Chelsea_Fantasy likes this.
  6. ubergeek77

ubergeek77 Post editing world champ.

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    What would happen if you just installed the .CIA for the Japanese keyboard? Or did that, and uninstalled the keyboard the system was using as well? Wouldn't the game just pull up that keyboard and that would be that?

7. rotebrotobias

rotebrotobias GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 31, 2015
    If you aren't able to fix it then you could easily just input your name in katakana like チャンゴ :P

Pluupy and Pacheko17 like this.
  8. DesuIsSparta

DesuIsSparta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Weaboo land
    There is no CIA for the keyboard. You can not uninstall the system keyboard. It's part of the firmware as far as I know.

I believe the problem that the OP is having, is that they can't input the katakana characters because they only have a roman keyboard.. You can not enter roman characters into a Japanese-specific textfield.

CrispyYoshi, Hyura and astronautlevel like this.
  9. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's official dragon look-alike axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    what about using ntr and a language plugin?

10. NoThisIsStupider

NoThisIsStupider GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Canada
    I've heard that some of the symbols in the keyboard register as non-English characters, so maybe try those, and then save edit later.

11. chango
    OP

chango GBAtemp Regular

Dec 5, 2005
    Syria
    The odd thing is that the Japanese-region keyboard is obviously included in the EUR/USA firmwares: The vast majority of Japanese games which request any sort of text input will bring up the Japanese keyboard (which includes all of the different characters), so the required data is in there somewhere.

I guess my best bet at this point is asking someone with a Japanese console/emuNAND to boot it up for me and export a savegame with savedatafiler which I can then import.

Can anybody with a JPN emunand/console help me out? I'll send you the CIA.

Last edited by chango, Apr 18, 2016
  12. NoThisIsStupider

NoThisIsStupider GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Canada
    If you're patient enough, you could just region change a nand backup, make the name, and then revert back to the original nand, and keep the region changed one handy incase you run into another text box.

13. chango
    OP

chango GBAtemp Regular

Dec 5, 2005
    Syria
    That's an insane amount of work for something that could be solved by importing a savegame.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I've tried all the symbols, it ain't havin it. I think its because the Japanese keyboard has the different characters separated and the game specifically wants the characters from the panel that has all the katakana.

I tried, it doesn't do anything. I've also tried with Gateway's built in language selection, no dice.

14. MarcusD

MarcusD ソノちゃん❤\xF0\x9F\x8D\xBC

Oct 16, 2015
    Austria
    /Users/Sono/
    There's a config option in the swkbd (software keyboard) config structure to force the input character set, but these games' programmers were too lazy to set those flags, so that's why it's using system defaults. If someone is skilled enough to inject ARM assembly to code.bin, then it would be possible to inject a code snippet to force the keyboard to be Japanese.

15. Khangaroo

Khangaroo $ORIGINALTITLE

Feb 27, 2016
    United States
    192.168.1.3 (don't ddos me!)
    Try getting your input uploaded to pastebin and paste it in the game. Problem solved (but it is very annoying).

16. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    @chango What CFW solution you're using?
    AuReiNand was updated recently and it now have a language emulation system where you input the target region and language, probably (I can't test this myself at the moment) it will force the system to load the default keyboard layout used on the target language that was set on the txt file at locales folder (refer to the AuReiNand version 5.0 changelog to see on how to use them, the wiki doesn't have these instructions at the moment).

@chango Sorry, the info is actually explained on this wiki page

17. chango
    OP

chango GBAtemp Regular

Dec 5, 2005
    Syria
    Problem solved? How? How do you paste characters from PC onto the 3DS? Forget copying the characters from PC first - how do you copy and paste characters on 3DS? I've never heard of such a thing. How would I paste input into a EU console that isn't bringing up the Japanese keyboard at all? Am I just going to paste Katakana characters into the text entry field inside in the English keyboard?

Last edited by chango, Apr 19, 2016
  18. Khangaroo

Khangaroo $ORIGINALTITLE

Feb 27, 2016
    United States
    192.168.1.3 (don't ddos me!)

19. lexarvn

lexarvn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2010
    United States
    I'm unsure but this sounds like something HANS should be able to fix...

20. shinji257

shinji257 61396C68206D61737465722072616365 :3

Apr 9, 2007
    United States
    I'm digging into this a bit. I don't think that it can be easily worked around though beyond having a region changed emunand or a separate JPN region system.

HANS/NTR won't be able to do anything with it. The game calls the system keyboard and uses whatever the system gives but also places field restrictions for characters that are not accessible normally.

Last edited by shinji257, Apr 26, 2016