1. 1stClassZackFair

1stClassZackFair GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Every person I've seen at school who listens to Kanye are idiots. I'm not exaggerating or trying to make Kanye's fans look bad. I'm just telling it like it is. I listen to Deftones on a daily basis and I do like rap, but I'm not a fan of Kanye at all.

Jonesy47 and Thirty3Three like this.
  2. assassinz

assassinz Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!

United States
    If he was a great artist I would buy one of his albums for sure. But I see no reason for spending money on his music.

3. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    No, it's not.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  4. Domination

Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Senegal
    I'm actually really really in love with Kanye's music right now, although I haven't actually gotten very deep into his discography. Some of you might remember me as being a bit of a hipster oddball in music taste, but I find Kanye's stuff amazing. I didn't really listen to rap (because of the much dreaded "DAE rap more like (c)rap right lmao XDDD" defener phase), and I absolutely hate the big classic rap artists like Tupac and Wu Tang Clan, I've tried listening to them multiple times but I still hate their music, but I absolutely love Kanye. One of my biggest peeves in music is the production of the album, and holy shit does Kanye have great production. MDBTF had shitloads of amazing production. He also reinvents himself every single album - from early Kanye to 808s then to MBDTF and Yeezus - and that is something that is very worthy of praise.

I also don't really care about lyrics (well most rap artists don't really mean anything in the face of the vocabulary king Aesop Rock) and the whole "struggling gangsta hood life" troupe seemed so trite and overused. But Kanye has some pretty cool lyrics like Monster that talks about the media's portrayal of him and stuff like New Slaves. That said, I don't really care about the lyrics unless they are really good so whatever.

And not only that, Ye actually has a very broad taste in music and knows how to use his broad taste. I mean, who would have thought to get fucking Bon Iver on a rap album and pull it off so well. He's pretty respected and people like Bon Iver and Jack White are actually excited to work with him, Bon Iver even talked about how great of a guy Kanye was when they were working together. He's a pretty cool guy really, despite his whole over-inflate ego persona.

B-Blue and Deleted_171835 like this.
  5. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

Brazil

We're talking about tastes, there is no such thing as objective facts.

6. PJM

PJM Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I haven't read the entire thread, I will just assume it's a bunch of Kanye hate.
    As unpopular as my opinion will be, I would have to agree with soulx. I've been a fan since his first album.
    His second album released when I was living on my own in Europe, and it was just mesmerizing to listen to - had a very different sound to it thanks -in part- to Jon Brion helping on production.
    More recently with 808s & Heartbreak, and My Beautiful Dark Twisted fantasy, I've been loving the more introspective and vulnerable side of him, but even without that, the production on the tracks are enough to carry the albums.
    As for Yeezus, I think it's garbage and I just can't listen to it, but hey, he had a good run, and artistically it is hard to top him, at least in similar genres, I won't claim to know much about music outside rap/hip hop, but I think there really is something special about his music

B-Blue likes this.
  7. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States

I'll just leave these here.

1stClassZackFair likes this.
  8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Snake™ CEO of Snakes

Antarctica
    Opinions are not facts.
    5166465451_ded900eaf8.jpg

9. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    The fact this thread is made by Soulx just makes it so much funnier to me.

They both suck equally imo. At least this version doesn't spam the USN forum.

10. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member
    Banned

United States
    Hating on his opinion is one thing, but hating on him is another. Let's keep things clean. (Or at least as clean as it can be when rap's involved ;) )

11. 1stClassZackFair

1stClassZackFair GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is music.

12. Rise

Rise Member
    Newcomer

Todays Rap:

Atleast they told a good story in the early days.

13. w0dash

w0dash noob

Gambia, The
    If you dont know it yet, the first Freshmen Adjustment mixtape is worth a listen, especially My Way, Home and Hey Mama.

14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    None of that would seem to preclude being good, or possibly even lessen the probabilities of being good enough to note it.

As for Mr West there are far worse options, however I doubt I will remember him in ten years. That said when it comes to rap/hip hop I am probably only slightly less specific in my tastes than I am when it comes to electronic music. Mainly that I do not care for bragging about riches and that does seem to be a rather popular theme.

Also thanks Mr Thirty3Three for the giggles.

For some reason I feel like linking up

B-Blue likes this.
  15. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States

I dunno, being a seasoned musick lover, that covering the classics such as Mozart, old Folk songs, old blues, jazz, Sinatra, on up to Pink Floyd, The Legendary Pink Dots, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Psychic TV, Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Circulatory System, Pizzicato Five, and on and on and on, I guess I've just became kind of anal about music in general. What it is singing about, what it is being used to promote and so on and so forth. I love musick for the sake of musick, and aside of the image created for stage shows (ala operas, rock operas, Alice Cooper, and the like), it really gets under my skin when musick merely become a vehicle to elevate one's self ego, shallow image, liberal politics, or to keep the youth and adults alike arrested in psychological, mental, and spiritual development.

Jonesy47 likes this.
  16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Other than it probably defying Sturgeon's law by having even less favourable percentages is there something in particular about espousing liberal points of view in a song that does not apply to all the many other various political mindsets?

XDel and B-Blue like this.
  17. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

United States
    Kanye West stopped being good a while ago, and especially now that he isn't producing as much. Also, those who are hating on rap as a whole just haven't heard GOOD rap music.

gamefan5 likes this.
  18. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing
    Supervisor

United States
    I cant help but laugh at the opinions in this thread as a whole. But then again, most of the music I find tolerable is either metalcore or the kind of dubstep that peels paint from walls.

gamefan5 and EZ-Megaman like this.
  19. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member
    Banned

United States

Don't tell me this isn't amazing. He just goes out to play some guitar on Christmas Eve with his good pal, Glen Hansard, and he gets everyone to crowd around him. Damo's a legend.

20. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Canada
    I like almost every kind of music.
    I really like Iron Maiden and Jewel.
    I'll listen to anything and like almost any kind of music other than country.

soulx - I think he's an interesting artist.

Most people only like their type of music ... so *automatically* hate Kanye West.

I like Black Skinhead:

Is he one of the greatest of his time ? Probably too early to say. I'll say he has lots of staying power in an era it's tough to be anything other than a flash in the pan.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - greatest, artists, Kanye