KaKaRoTo Already At Work On PS3 Fw 3.56

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by XXLANCEXX, Jan 27, 2011.

Jan 27, 2011
  1. XXLANCEXX
    OP

Member XXLANCEXX GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Source: http://www.console-spot.com/2011/01/26/kak...1/#comment-4732

2. Smartpal

Member Smartpal The Guitar Guy

India
    Awesome! I knew it wouldn't take long cos they said for a permanent fix Sony would have to change the hardware. Take that Sony! [​IMG]

3. synce

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    I think 3.56 was put out just to inconvenience PSN users. Isn't that the purpose of most their updates? God forbid you also need to install and update your brand new game, only to experience 30 second load times *cough*Gran Turismo*coughcough* I miss the SNES

4. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Wow i chose a great time to decide to get a PS3, hackers seem to be wacking Sony.

5. ZombiePosessor

Member ZombiePosessor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'd honestly rather have kmeaw working on it [​IMG]

6. Smartpal

Member Smartpal The Guitar Guy

India
    True, his CFW is undoubtedly the best.

7. MarcusRaven

Member MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

United States
    Seriously, me too. kmeaw's 3.55 has been awesome. But if KaKaRoTo can get it working, more power to him. I'll at least try it, that's for sure.

8. Trulen

Member Trulen GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I just got a 500GB harddrive to play all the games I downloaded. Not being able to go online while I enjoy all of them will be an extremely minor inconvinience.

By the time I get through all these game's single player, a better firmware will be out.

9. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    This thread is both misleading, and wrong. He successfully decrypted the latest firmware and released the latest keys (not the new private key, private keys aren't stored on the system)... but he has no current interest in working on a custom firmware for a newer version.

Taken directly from his twitter.

(edit) For those not in the know, there won't be another easy install custom firmware... If you updated to 3.56 you screwed yourself until either A: An exploit is found (the old method was NOT an exploit, it was Sony's private key) or B: a modchip comes out (which several companies are already working on it since all old consoles are now open to having their NANDs flashed via hardware)

Why is this? Because the private key team failoverflow released is now old news. Sony has made a new private key and now all future games will use this new private key. The new common key necessary to decrypt the firmwares and games are out... Pulled from firmware 3.56 with ease... So new PSN and PS3 games can still be decrypted and played on older and custom firmwares without issue. If you're wondering how old games that used the old key can still play on the PS3, well sony has this wonderful little whitelist that basically says "These are the only software that can run with the old key!". The games are listed with SHA hash to confirm they are indeed the real deal.

Sorry if any of this came out a bit rambly... It's almost 7am and I haven't had any sleep yet

10. ChaosBoi

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    And everyone was saying how it was impossible for Sony to patch >_> . No worries for me since I still have another PS3 available. Just gotta stick a new hard drive in.

11. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It is impossible to patch in the sense that every console out there will always be vulnerable, even if future firmwares require hardware to aid in downgrading. That's what fail0verflow has said from the beginning.

12. MasterLaser

Member MasterLaser Vaporeon!

New Zealand

13. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

I wonder when the first no solder (clip on) NAND/NOR flasher for the ps3 will come out. Remember that the slim units do not have a NAND chip, they use NOR flash.

14. SmokeFox

Member SmokeFox Jesus Christ is the Lord

Brazil
    Time to buy a PS3.

15. Codc

Newcomer Codc Advanced Member

Canada
    You guys realize you can still use your CFW even if you're on 3.56, right? Just change your console's DNS and you'll still have access to PSN

16. Twilight Loz

Member Twilight Loz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have OFW 3.56. Your telling me I can still downgrade to 3.55 CFW just by changing my DNS? How does that work?

Has anyone tried this?

17. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Actually, a 3.56 CFW is quite possible (as long as you are on 3.55 or lower). They could decrypt 3.56, patch it with both the CFW patches and support for the old keys (i.e. disable the whitelist and make the old keys work for everything) and then resign it with the 3.55 private key. Of course, it wouldn't work for people who have already updated to 3.56 OFW.