Review K101 Revo, Official GBAtemp Review

computarman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this and I like how the developers really tried hard to bring a nice product at a nice price. However the competition out there is very stiff ie a Verizon Sony Xperia Play shipped on Ebay for $80 for instance.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I too have been playing emulators for the PSP since the times of DarkAlex. GPSP is by far the most popular, and don't get me wrong it's an incredible emulator, but pop in Super Mario Advance 2, or 3 and turn frameskip to manual-0 and watch it die. Thats what I'm talking about, REVO doesn't even hiccup.
Got it done.

(Didn't get to upload it until recently.)

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
What emulator are you using? I used two different ones (and pretty sure to use the latest versions), and neither one would eve render the overworld map (showing it as a blank screen, except for the borders).

RyanRDLPS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The video was great Rydian, thanks! I'm sorry though I mixed up the emulators. I too tested Mario Advance 2-4, and Donkey Kong Country and didn't run into any frame issues with those. I stand corrected. However with games such as Kingdom Hearts: COM, both Golden Suns, and Final Fantasy VI there are definitely frame skipping issues. Sorry I confused the titles there. I am standing by Super Mario Advance 2 though, even though it appears to run in full frames once you play a pure hardware GBA you see the difference immediately.

In further testing, the PSP does a very good job with Mario but it just isn't perfect like the REVO there is some screen-tearing and a bit of jittering depending whats on screen. I have to say it is pretty flippin' close though!
It's hard to capture this though, you just have to "feel" it. The control over Mario is just more pure and exact on the REVO.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Of those I've only played CoM, and the only slowdown was in battles with a lot of enemies (like when five shadows spawn at once), and the real game would slow down then as well. I've got a save for it on the PSP too so I can pop into it for a quick recording, but it'll have to be tomorrow if I remember. Unfortunately I don't have my original GBA anymore, gave it away after I got the PSP.

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I ordered one on the 10th of this month. I really wanted one when it was first announced but I was poor at the time.

The site says they are in stock but 6 days later my order is still pending with no reason given. It's a little disappointing as I was kinda hoping to get it by Christmas. :(

Still, all good things come to those who wait I suppose...

Anyway, guys who have had theirs for a wee while now could you give some more feedback regarding prelonged use or incompatible games you've found? I'm particularly interested in the Atari Anniversary ROM, the Activision Anthology ROM and the Sega Arcade Gallery ROM as I've found these games to be especially problematic on me EZ Flash IV.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I ordered one on the 10th of this month. I really wanted one when it was first announced but I was poor at the time.

The site says they are in stock but 6 days later my order is still pending with no reason given. It's a little disappointing as I was kinda hoping to get it by Christmas. :(

Anyway, guys who have had theirs for a wee while now could you give some more feedback regarding prelonged use or incompatible games you've found? I'm particularly interested in the Atari Anniversary ROM, the Activision Anthology ROM and the Sega Arcade Gallery ROM as I've found these games to be especially problematic on me EZ Flash IV.

You ordered on the 10th and were hoping it would arrive by christmas?

Now that's funny.

pyromaniac123

Trophies
XP
Country
If I ordered something that was supposedly in stock 15 days before Christmas, I would expect it by Christmas, too.

Yes cause it's not like air mail is slow at busy times like christmas.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes cause it's not like air mail is slow at busy times like christmas.
I just ordered a few Christmas items within the past five days, and all but one of them arrived already (and the one that didn't had issues with the shipping address). It doesn't go without saying that your order is going to take 3 or 4 times as long just because it's around Christmas, at least in my experience.

pyromaniac123

Trophies
XP
Country
I just ordered a few Christmas items within the past five days, and all but one of them arrived already (and the one that didn't had issues with the shipping address). It doesn't go without saying that your order is going to take 3 or 4 times as long just because it's around Christmas, at least in my experience.

Did you use express shipping? What country were they shipped from?

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The keyword in my previous post was 'hoping'. I have ordered many items from many countries at all times of the year. I've often received my goods far quicker than you might expect... Regardless, it is a little disconcerting to see no activity at all from the seller 6 days after payment was made...

pyromaniac123

Trophies
XP
Country
The keyword in my previous post was 'hoping'. I have ordered many items from many countries at all times of the year. I've often received my goods far quicker than you might expect... Regardless, it is a little disconcerting to see no activity at all from the seller 6 days after payment was made...

This is shipping from china at one of the busiest times of the year. It's going to be slower than normal.

ruilong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sorry for this mis-understanding.

The status of "in stock" means the device accepts pre-order. That does not mean we have the real stock for this device now.

Only until we restock enough stock for this device, then we will remove the word "pre-order " from the page.

We are now working with the factory to release the second batch. We will remind people who place their pre-order and offer them the tracking number as soon as we restock the device.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

lordgoober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh. I'm 99% sure this has to do with whatever GBC emulator is on the thing but I found a GBC rom that runs slow (or at least the music does, if not everything) on this. Dragon Warrior III runs slow on this box, which is kinda sad because I'm in the mood to replay the GBC remake of it and I've been taking my Revo everywhere (been playing Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 mostly these days) DW3 is the only GBC rom I've had issues with so far. Other than that I love this thing. One of the best "impulse" buys I've done in a while. Now to start working on getting the funds for a japanes 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)