Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
28432-fuckyoufeature_clear_gif.gif
28431-fuckyoufeature_clear_png.png

K101 Revo

The K101 Revo (or Revo K101) is the second product from Maxzhou88 to incorporate the K-Team's GBA software-on-a-chip (Soc) solution. The first product, a GBA SP "clone", was the 1st true hardware-based GBA solution ever released. As such it had a lot to live up to and ended up falling a little short of a perfect score. The K101 Revo aims to address the immediate hardware concerns of the K1 GBA SP, most importantly, the d-pad and button sensitivity issues.

In an age when so many systems are incredibly easy to hack, and developers have taken notice by coding and porting a vast array of emulation, what is the appeal of a device like the K101 Revo? The Revo is a hardware-based solution that does not rely on any emulation tricks or hacks to get the job done. It incorporates a SoC that mimics the functionality of the GBA allowing for the potential of a near perfect experience. ROMs and Homebrew are accessed via a microSD interface card, known as the K-Card. The K-card's microSD card slot is spring loaded and front facing, making it extremely easy to hot swap files quickly.
[prebreak]Continue reading...[/prebreak]
While not all features have yet been implemented, such as the use of special hardware cartridges, one major feature has been carefully incorporated into the new design. Based on the complaints received after the release of the K1 GBA SP, a fully functional RTC has been added into the K101 Revo. A feature which, after limited testing, seems to function correctly but suffers from basic software issues. I have only found the time to test Rockman EXE 4.5 Real Operation, and discovered that while the time remains correct, the date resets back to the year 2009. To fix this issue, the RTC settings must be accessed from the in-game menu, regardless of the fact that the option was turned "on" before loading the ROM. After navigating to the settings, changing nothing, and then exiting back into the game, the correct date will appear within the game. So clearly, this feature works but will require a firmware update to fine tune its assumed behavior.

The largest complaints of the K1 GBA SP were the d-pad and button sensitivity issues. Button issues were so severe that I was forced to push the "B" button on the review unit to the point that it could not be pushed any further, causing extreme discomfort while gaming. The d-pad suffered from similar issues which required different amounts of force on each of its 4 points of input. It would appear that the developer paid attention to these complaints as these issues have been fully addressed. In fact, I am happy to report that the K101 Revo, in regards to these issues, is far superior to the original design.

Other updates to the K101 Revo include a 3.5mm headphone jack, a 2.5mm AV-Out jack, and a micro-USB charging solution. While the system comes complete with a wall charger adapter, it can also charge while plugged into a powered USB port or hub. The form factor is now a wide-style design encompassed in a modified Gemei Tech A330 shell. The shell measures approximately 5 and 1/2 inches wide, 2 and 1/4 inches tall, and 1/2 inch thick. This design is incredibly light weight and extremely comfortable to game with.

36762-5nake.jpg
36749-goldensun.jpg
36750-CIMG6258.JPG

Functionality wise, the K101 Revo has not received any updates. The system continues to suffer from the same compatibility complaints made during the K1 GBA SP review. It is completely understandable why few software changes have been made, considering that a single developer is behind this product, and now that it is released I hope to see a barrage of updates, fixes, and adjustments! Everything else has been so carefully updated, it is time the SoC firmware received the same treatment.

A full GBAtemp review is in the works, which I hope to have published well before the coming holidays. As the system is basically a redesign of the original, I would advise potential customers to read the K1 GBA SP review for more information. What that system does, this one will also do, including the extras mentioned in this brief hands-on impressions post.

36724-logo.jpg

I would like to give a special thanks to Revo K101 for providing the review sample. For more information and to place an order, click on the links below.

:arrow: K101 Revo Homepage
:arrow: K101 Revo Official Retailer Site

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
theoretically, all carts should function. realistically, special chip carts (warioware twisted) fail and are not supported. some top quality homebrew projects also fail. as there have been no compatibility updates, there is no way to know if these issues can be addressed via a firmware update.

the SoC tests with a very high compatibility, but it is not 100% perfect. the addition of RTC brings them a little bit closer to that goal.

-another world

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I don't care much for the " Candy Bar" form factor on hand helds. I got excited about this device when it had the SP form factor. You know, it folds to half the size in which it also protects the screen. If this is what they are going to stick with, then I'll just stay with my PSP 1001 to get my GBA fix. :glare:

NoahJacobMayen

VanFanel1980mx
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
theoretically, all carts should function. realistically, special chip carts (warioware twisted) fail and are not supported. some top quality homebrew projects also fail. as there have been no compatibility updates, there is no way to know if these issues can be addressed via a firmware update.

the SoC tests with a very high compatibility, but it is not 100% perfect. the addition of RTC brings them a little bit closer to that goal.

-another world
Why don't they work? the special hardware is in the game itself, isn't it?

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I don't care much for the " Candy Bar" form factor on hand helds. I got excited about this device when it had the SP form factor. You know, it folds to half the size in which it also protects the screen. If this is what they are going to stick with, then I'll just stay with my PSP 1001 to get my GBA fix. :glare:

I recently purchased a Gemei A330 and love the form factor; it's amazingly comfortable to hold. If you haven't ever tried one, I would recommend finding a way to get your hands on one to try it out.

Once they open up the system to non GBA based homebrew, I am really looking forward to getting one. The form factor is the big driving force.

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the wider form factor but I hate the SP form factor and don't even bother me with the micro's form factor it was worst then the SP's form factor in my own opinion.The SP form factor is too cramped once you play any of the DS series you'll see what I mean and I'm eagely awaiting our first firmware update for this system.

ruilong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this gonna be availble in black?
Currently, only the color White is available. We will consider to release other colors in the future- all depending on the demand from the market.

When they remake the K1 GBA SP using the new improvements like RTC and fixed buttons, I will DEFINITELY buy it.
It is not possible to improve the RTC on K1 as there not enough space to install the chip for it. You can see K1 is much smaller than Revo K101. In fact, Revo K101 has a very good size that is suitable for you to hold and game on.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Mine came with a dead pixel.

BornInBlack

GangnamTemp
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soggypizza.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Canada
-snip-

Is it possible to use the 'GCN to GBA' Cable with this hardware?
tried checking the site, but couldnt find an answer or top-down picture

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Mine came with a dead pixel.

is it white or colored? mine came with a blue colored pixel and i was able to fix it. i ran a gba lcd flashing app on it for about 30 minutes, then after a few power cycles that stuck pixel started to work.

here is the tool: Stuck Pixel Fixer

you'll need to patch the header for it to boot: use GBATA.

-another world

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World I was wondering if you could see if the Revo will work with the GBA e reader and GBA Player for GCube accessories please thanks in advance.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
is it white or colored? mine came with a blue colored pixel and i was able to fix it. i ran a gba lcd flashing app on it for about 30 minutes, then after a few power cycles that stuck pixel started to work.

here is the tool: Stuck Pixel Fixer

you'll need to patch the header for it to boot: use GBATA.

-another world

How do I patch the header? I've opened stuck_pixels.mb.gba but I don't see any options to fix it.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
under the "header viewer" tab. if a homebrew has a bad header the "fix header" button will be clickable. click it and then save the changes.

Another World I was wondering if you could see if the Revo will work with the GBA e reader and GBA Player for GCube accessories please thanks in advance.

it is impossible for me to test things i do not own. sorry.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...