just wondering, is it bad to let your psp battery run completely dry?

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Zalda, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    i haven't played my psp in about 4 months now, and i just tried booting it up and it just wouldn't do shit anymore. completely dead. it's charging now, but I wonder, can it be bad for the battery? does it kill the lifetime of the battery?

2. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    I left my PSP untouched for over a year, when I came back to it the battery was completely dead, wouldn't charge, nothing.

I assumed it was from leaving it for so long, but never really looked into it as I had two spare batteries anyway.

3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I think the interchangeable batteries are kinda shit, I had one that came with my PSP but it eventually widdled away to about 20 minutes of battery life. I guess the plus side is having them, well, interchangeable though so you can carry multiple on you or buy a new one when it dies (something that's a pain for built-in batteries).

4. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    All rechargeable batteries lose capacity over time, heat and improper storage can also affect the lifespan of a battery.
    (This is why built in rechargeable batteries suck because at some point in time they will need to be replaced and this is often a pain in the butt or nearly impossible....)

http://www.rechargebatteryguide.com/batteries/rechargable-battery-care-and-tips

1 person likes this.
  5. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    All electronic that uses Lithium battery (including PSP, 3DS, cellphone, etc) must be kept charged. Unlike Nickel-based battery, Lithium battery needs to be kept charged whenever possible. Fully drained Lithium battery will only cut down lifespan.

1 person likes this.
  6. SILENT_HUNTRESS

Newcomer SILENT_HUNTRESS CIERA BAKUFU

United States
    i keep my equipment in a controlled enviroment,but i had that problem with my old psp 1000 and had to buy a new battery.in any case not all batteries last forever and i have a stockpile of batteries and psp parts if that ever happens,but i only charge mine when i see it is a must and i do not keep it on the charger 24/7 because over charging could also ruin the lifespan in my opinion.

7. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Don't worry about overcharging. Electronic (including PSP) these days can tell when a battery is fully charged and shut down charging circuit when it does.

You should only worry about overcharging if you are using custom charger.

2 people like this.