Hacking Just what is possible in Full Softmod (No GW/Flashcart) CFW?

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This thread is kind of a 3DS based Mirror version of my VWii Softmodding thread on the Wii U board.
it is, (AFAIK) A quick rundown on the what/how/what can I do on 3DS Softmodding.

(If there are any factual errors in this post, or updates to various methods used, please tell me and I will update the OP.)

What's a "Full Softmod"?

Full Softmod is running CFW Without a 3DS or DS Flashcart, using ONLY Software exploits and the SD card.​
Completely free! No purchase required!​
Well, Okay, I lied. it's not COMPLETELY Free. You need TWO SD Cards. But you likely have those just lying around somewhere, right?​

Wait, I can DO that?! HOW?
Why yes, you can! However, this method only works on Old 3DSes with a firmware under 9.2.0-20.
The best Tutorial I have found on this method is this video tutorial by DarkFlare69:​
First, a Downgrade tutorial to 4.5:​

And then Loading up 4.5CFW:​

This method installs Palantine 4.5CFW.​
I also recommend you install BigBlueMenu (Or BigRedMenu) first and use it instead of DevMenu.​
After either of these is installed, you should no longer need to hold L while booting to CFW.​
Before you attempt this method, look inside the folders given in the download, and check on GBATemp/Google for updated versions, they may be outdated.​
Okay, I did it, it works! What can I do now?

Play .CIA games/Homebrew? YES, BUT..
There's a few games that won't work. Most everything that's been FW spoofed/Region Freed will however. General consensus is that if it was released BEFORE Luigi's Mansion 2, it will be fine, otherwise, make sure to check.​
Update existing titles with .CIA Updates? YES
Play .3dsx Homebrew? YES BUT..
You will still need a copy of Cubic Ninja (or a .CIA of it) to run Ninjhaxx.​
.3ds Games (unconverted ROMs) will not work.​
Update the EmuNAND for eShop Access? YES BUT..
RxTools will allow you to create a second 9.x EmuNAND on a second SD Card, but this one can only be used for installing legitimate purchased content from the e-Shop, and can not be used for Homebrew/.CIA installs. Basically, you'll have a "Legit" SD card and a "Homebrew" SD Card, and will need to switch between them when required.​
More info on RxTools here:​
(If anyone has a tutorial for installation like the ones for Downgrading/Palantine, please tell me and I'll update the thread.)
Play Retail Cartridges? YES BUT..
If it works as a CIA, the retail cart will run on the CFW SD Card. otherwise, use the Second SD Card with 9.x EmuNAND installed to play your retail carts.​
Play games that are 7.x Encrypted? RETAIL CARTS/ESHOP DOWNLOADS ONLY
(This requires that you use the Second SD card with 9.x EmuNAND installed.)​
Load/Run Injected VC Games? YES
Load/Run games Region-Free? YES
Play Games Online? YES BUT..
There have not been any known cases of online players using .CIAs or retail carts in CFW getting banned. But as always with CFW and hacks, Play online at your own risk.​
NOTE: Cheating online WILL get you banned.

NOTES:

• This method is still a little Glitchy. Booting into Palantine CFW may take multiple attempts. (You'll know it succeeds when the bottom screen flashes when executing the DS Profile Exploit. If not, just hold the power button to turn it off and try again.)
  • Some games may not work, regardless of what you do. try and dump your cartridge again, double check the .CIA conversion, or use a different source.
  • Going into Data Management is a bit of a minefield. unless you've set things up in a very specific way, I would not reccomend going into it while on SYSNAND.
------

I'll update the thread as time passes.

josamilu

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Okay, I did it, it works! What can I do now?

Play .CIA games/Homebrew? YES, BUT..
(There's still a few games that won't work. most everything that's been FW spoofed/Region Freed will however)​
Play .3ds/3dsx Games/Homebrew? NO
Play games that are 7.x Encrypted? NO
(I'm not entirely sure here, if someone has a method, please tell me and I'll update the thread!)​
Load/Run Injected VC Games? YES
Load/Run games Region-Free? YES
Play Games Online? NO
Update the EmuNAND for eShop Access? NO
(Again, I'm not entirely sure here. if someone has a method that does not require a flashcart of any kind, please tell me and I'll update the thread.)​

This may be good for newcommers, but I have some corrections to do :
- YES you can play 3dsx games if you have a Cubic Ninja cia.
- Some 7.x< games work. Nearly none, but some, for example Fantasy Life.

Reactions: Margen67

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been playing AC:NL online on CFW no problem. So yes, online works.
Yes, you can use BigRedMenu instead of BigBlueMenu.
And don't you dare to keep pressing the L button when starting the CFW after you have installed either of both BigMenus, and then come whining here about why it crashes when you leave the house.
And to avoid the data management stuff, unlink the NANDs by formatting either of them (take out the SD card if you're formatting sysNAND, or back it up if you're formatting the CFW).
And yes, you can create a new emuNAND on a separate SD card (or on the same one, if you're adventurous enough) with either Gateway's Launcher.dat, or MT-card's (the "format emuNAND" option). Without a flashcard, you can them proceed to update it with rxTools (make sure the version number shows "RX-E" before updating!).

Sources: I've done all the things I've described.

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Play games that are 7.x Encrypted? NO
(I'm not entirely sure here, if someone has a method, please tell me and I'll update the thread!)​
There is a workaround, but only for games which have a legit cia (Pokemon,Zelda MM, MH4U,SSB,Tompdachi Life)​
Play Games Online? NO
You can​

Update the EmuNAND for eShop Access? NO
(Again, I'm not entirely sure here. if someone has a method that does not require a flashcart of any kind, please tell me and I'll update the thread.)​

You can on a spare sd card with rxTools (but non legits cias won't work on it), And if you're using the PBT-CFW, you can even have the cfw and rxtools on the same sd card.

NEVER go into Data Management. All of your installed CIA will dissapear/corrupt. it won't brick your system, but it's really annoying having to install everything all over again.

I won't happen if you unlink your 2 nands, or if you use the pbt-cfw.

- Some 7.x< games work. Nearly none, but some, for example Fantasy Life.

Because 7.X+ game doesn't mean 7.X encrypted. Read this : http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Titles_with_7.x_Encryption

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I have never tried it, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. At least on rxMode or MT-classic mode it never worked.
Only after transferring a valid ticket to the sysNAND and installing it there, it works.

My bad I had it on mms mode but here is me booting the cfw then running 4 swords (a dsi game) on my 3ds xl. Also I never owned or transferred this game it just worked from the public cia that is floating around

miamore

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've been playing AC:NL online on CFW no problem. So yes, online works.
Yes, you can use BigRedMenu instead of BigBlueMenu.
And don't you dare to keep pressing the L button when starting the CFW after you have installed either of both BigMenus, and then come whining here about why it crashes when you leave the house.
And to avoid the data management stuff, unlink the NANDs by formatting either of them (take out the SD card if you're formatting sysNAND, or back it up if you're formatting the CFW).
And yes, you can create a new emuNAND on a separate SD card (or on the same one, if you're adventurous enough) with either Gateway's Launcher.dat, or MT-card's (the "format emuNAND" option). Without a flashcard, you can them proceed to update it with rxTools (make sure the version number shows "RX-E" before updating!).

Sources: I've done all the things I've described.

the data management problem youre saying is accessing Data management while on SYSNAND with CFW right? i've tried this before and mess with my CFW.. but accessing Data management while on CFW works fine. as I'm doing this when uninstalling .cia files(games) how do you unlink SYSNAD to CFW? when I unlink it, will this solve my problem when accessing Data Management while on SYSNAND..?

Deleted member 361703

GBATemp OldFag
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I personally upgraded my xl with some cfw tutorial and honestly I see no reason to run it. It wouldn't load most of the time and if it did I couldn't make half of my cart based games into cias. And as I said after I tried a tutorial about emunand without gateway that bad boy was gone. Sitting in GameStop as a used product now...I'll wait for a proper 7.x cfw or should I say 9.5 since Nintendo and their effing encryption.

muskieratboi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mid-Kid, VerseHell, can you get in touch with me via PM with some more detailed info? I can then collate the info and update the post.

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country
the data management problem youre saying is accessing Data management while on SYSNAND with CFW right? i've tried this before and mess with my CFW.. but accessing Data management while on CFW works fine. as I'm doing this when uninstalling .cia files(games) how do you unlink SYSNAD to CFW? when I unlink it, will this solve my problem when accessing Data Management while on SYSNAND..?
Yes.
By formatting either of them (take out the SD card if you're formatting sysNAND, or back it up if you're formatting the CFW).
Yes.

Koryushin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Update the EmuNAND for eShop Access? MAYBE?
(This is apparently possible, but I do not have the knowledge to do so yet. I will update with links to instructions once I know what i'm doing! :P)​

It's possible just look at rxTools here on gbatemp.
It allow you to be in sysNand 4.X and Emunand 9.6 to acces eshop and newer retail cart game.

Edit: I did it, on a second SD cart.
My set up is :
- 1 SD card for 4.X palantine CFW
- 1 SD card for 9.6 emunand

muskieratboi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's possible just look at rxTools here on gbatemp.
It allow you to be in sysNand 4.X and Emunand 9.6 to acces eshop and newer retail cart game.

Yes, but i'm unsure how to go about it. do I need to use another CFW? if so, how do I install it? There's a whole bunch of questions I need answered, and a lot of testing I need to do. once I make sure I know what i'm doing, I'll provide notes so that others can follow and not have to go through the hoops I did :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."