Just Sold My DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by jimmy j, May 24, 2007.

May 24, 2007

Just Sold My DS by jimmy j at 10:31 PM (4,851 Views / 0 Likes) 55 replies

1. jimmy j
    OP

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    Well, I did it. I sold my DS on eBay for £102 and I'm looking forward to my new 360.
    It's not that the DS is a bad machine (it's f*ckin' fantastic!) it's because I've been missing the graphical "hit" that you get from a cutting-edge title (does that make me shallow?).

Being sucked into a FPS, popping a bad-guy in the face, chest-blasting another with a sawn-off, then rounding the corner to be gob-smacked by a hundred foot high waterfall with sun shimmering through the trees is something that I just can't live/game without. And no amount of innovative touchscreen tomfoolery will ever be substitute.

There's no doubting the quality of the DS. It's delivered freshness to videogames. It's attracted ladies to gaming more than any "Barbie Does Manhattan" game ever could. It opened Nintendo's eyes and inspired development of the Wiimote. All pretty impressive feats from a console that was never intended as a true successor to gameboy, and all testament to what is (IMO) the most important console ever released.

But, as I said before, I am a shallow, shallow man. I need the emotional kick that a next-gen title can deliver. I need to experience awe at the graphical prowess onscreen. I need to be blown away by visuals and audio... I need a 360!

But my mum's getting a DS so I can always look forward to the odd fling [​IMG]

2. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    Great choice. Good thing you aren't getting a PS3. 360 rocks! [​IMG]

Microsoft and Nintendo FTW!

3. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    Ooops, sorry for DP.

4. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    Alrighty then. Glad that's settled.

5. ndela007

Member ndela007 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nothing wrong with wanting something different. Glad to hear you are at least going to enjoy the 360, my friend complains constantly about his (then again he never goes on live...hence the problem).

6. AWESOME_noob

Member AWESOME_noob GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Get ready to turn up the volume of your TV cos of the constant 'high' whirring fan noise with the 360
    ...also if your 360 lasts till next year without breaking down then it must be one of a kind.
    Thinking about playing backups?= then forget about Xbox live cos Microsoft will ban your ass for good...
    Halo 3? = Halo 2 but with new clothes..(see the multiplayer beta clips)
    Gears of war? = All flash no substance..gets boring quite quickly

Like the above post said at least you did not get a PS3, that would have been the pits man!! [​IMG]

Anyways happy gaming on your 360, but i sold mine for a Wii & DS (both chipped [​IMG] ) and never look back at the 360....apart from the upcoming Mass Effect - If its anything like the depth of KOTOR then it will truly lay THE smack down on the competiton!! [​IMG]

7. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    You, sir, Have to leave this forum at once! [​IMG]

Hah, just joking.

Well, I dont want to live without good graphics either ... [​IMG]
    but the graphics isn't what I prefer the DS. It's mainly because it's fun.
    nothing more, nothing less.
    and the graphics are better than GB-phat... thats always a plus!

But, that's my two cents... or... since im from sweden, it ought to be my 2 ören [​IMG]

8. jimmy j
    OP

United Kingdom
    Got it covered mate [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ndela007

United States
    I think you need two more speakers and a large sub to enjoy a 360, not some measly desktop speakers [​IMG] ....and try staying up for two days straight playing gears...I have heard on good word that it is a fun thing to do (if you have two days to throw away [​IMG])

10. 2short

Member 2short GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    I don't really think the xbox is that noisy, but that's just my oppinion. Also make sure you put it in a spot where it doesn't get to hot... [​IMG]

11. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    So would you guys say x360 tops the 7th-gen consoles? I was about to recommend the ps3 to my friend since it would have future Final Fantasy titles (he loves FF)

12. Farami9

Member Farami9 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Man what the hell is so bad about PS3... Microsoft is going to make sure it makes a profit in the next concloe gen...

13. ndela007

United States
    Actually I have heard there may be a chance S.E. will begin porting FF titles over to the 360, this coming from a 360 site I visit on the regular, dunno the validity but it seems logical.

On another note, the ps3 basically made the mistake of the original xbox, most of the games are already out on the 360 or will be on both systems, so people say to themselves, 'Why buy a 600$ unit when a ~300$ unit will play the same game?'

The ps3 does have a decent lineup on the way, but home is just a more visual xbox live, so frankly you are paying more for the 'same' thing essentially.

So to sum it up, long live the 3DO, the original disc operated console....because it was neato. (not really XD )

14. jtroye32

Member jtroye32 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    nah, the Wii definitely takes that title. the 360 pretty much bombed in Japan.. as did the Halo series. video games/systems bombing in Japan has gotta say something because no one knows video games like Japan.

15. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    But.. didn't Japan shun the Metroid series?

Japan isn't the only gaming country don't you know? [​IMG]

16. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    :wtf:?

17. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    I don't think you can look at the DS and 360 as in direct competition. If you'd sold your DS to get a PSP on the grounds of graphics, that would have been terrible =o but a 360 is understandable.

18. butaro

Member butaro GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    I agree, altough they are gaming systems they arent really related.
    Its like saying i sold my ipod to buy a new sound system for my room.

19. jimmy j
    OP

United Kingdom
    They're studio monitors, not desktop speakers. Cost me £130 ffs.
    If you turned them up full they'd blow your nipples off and the extended bassports give me a nice phat bottom-end thank you very much [​IMG]

20. reemixx

Newcomer reemixx Advanced Member

Australia
    I think the point he was getting at was that surround sound is beneficial to the 360. Studio monitors are awesome for clarity, but as picky as I am with my sound, I'd probably still go for surround sound over precision for gaming. Even surround sound emulation or widening the stereo field just doesn't cut it.

As for you selling your DS for a 360.... I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. I don't see how you can possibly compare them, or how one possibly relates at all to the other. If you sold your DS to raise funds for your 360, then I suppose I can understand. Especially if you found you were no longer playing your DS at all.

Playing on a console with mediocre graphics really does make you thirst for eye candy after a while. Hell, that's what I've got my PC for. Don't think I could JUST play the DS and nothing else. It's like only eating cheeseburgers without the cheese, sauce, and pickles. It's still good to eat, but you just miss all the extras sometimes.

Anyway, I sold my DS once. When it was first released here and there were no games I was interested in for six months. Just got tired of it and lost interest in portable gaming. Funny I should buy one again recently, though. Now I don't think I could live without a handheld console.

Enjoy your 360, mate. Even though I'm a bit of a Microsoft basher myself, gaming is gaming. Fun times to be had.