Just picked up an RGH'd 360 today, questions on how to get it fully set up from scratch.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by blazingwolf, Nov 17, 2019.

1. blazingwolf
    OP

blazingwolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    Surprisingly, I didn't get scammed, the unit turns on after a few seconds which I hear can be not the case with RGH. It has games which I confirm launch, custom menus, etc. I want to start from scratch and make my own set up.

1. I have two spare 2.5 inch HDDs, both Hitachi that I want to upgrade the HDD in. Can this be done? I looked up some tutorials and it says it needs to be certain version. Is this still the case with a RGH'd 360?

2. I am reading this: (https://gbatemp.net/threads/setting-up-freestyle-dash.350470/) tutorial on how to set up a 360, I am starting from complete SCRATCH, I know nothing about modded 360, I just had an old one back in the day that played burnt back ups. Can I assume this one can also play burnt DVDs?

3. I don't know how to confirm I have the latest dash or how to update it without ruining the mod. With an RGH'd/JTAG Xbox, you can't undo the mod and lock yourself out without messing up the hardware right? Same for Dashlaunch, is this something I do before I remove the HDD?

4. I assume once I launch XEXmenu I'm good from there. The link in the guide is out of date, where can I find the latest XexMenu CD/Utilities disc, and/or latest menus/dashboards, etc?

Thanks for any help, excited to get this customized my way soon!

2. blazingwolf
    OP

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    Seems like you can only upgrade the internal using certain models, is loading games of an external USB HDD connected slower?

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Me Falcon takes 1-2 glitchcycles.
    R-JTAG is supposed to be even faster so yeh, RGH can deffo boot within seconds.

Nope, any 2.5" HDD can fit in there (max 10ish mm thick) or 3.5" if you fancy removing the DVD drive and want to solder, 2TB is the max.

Why would you play burnt backups?
    Dump everything to the internal HDD, way easier and faster haha.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/updating-your-hardware-hacked-360.353979/
    New update has been released a day or 2 ago, give it a bit and Dashlaunch/XeBuild/JRunner will be updated accordingly.

I've upped it to mega for the time being, I suggest reading this thread.
    It contains some info on a new hacked emulator and includes the link to the Xexmenu CD.
    Just extract the CD to the root of a FAT32 formatted USB and you'll be good to go.

Compared to the internal HDD?
    Yeh, USB is slower.

You can also choose to install Aurora, install procedure is almost exactly the same as FSD.

4. blazingwolf
    OP

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm just confused because everything I am reading online says I need to use a certain model WD 2.5 drive to upgrade the HDD on my 360. So lets say I remove the HDD and put in my new one. What happens there? I'm assuming I need to reformat the HDD using the 360. Then how do I install/run XEXMenu if my drive doesn't read burned discs. Can I launch the utilities I need to set up my HDD straight from USB on a fresh HDD? I don't actually understand how RGH works to exploit my console so maybe thats what I'm missing. Is it like the PS3, where once you exploit it in debug mode, which allows you to run any .pkg, once the XBOX is RGH'd I can run any XEX file off USB?

5. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    That's only true for retail 360's.
    JTAG/RGH ignore the security sectors.

You'll need to insert the drive and format it yes.
    Extract the CD to the root of a FAT32 formatted USB.
    You can launch XeXMenu from there on or copy it to the HDD.

Yeh, once you got an alternate dash set up you can easily load game extracts or GOD games.

6. blazingwolf
    OP

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    Like you said, the HDD swap was plug and play. :)

I am working on installing XeXMenu and then Aurora.

Quick question.

I noticed when I set the Xbox 360 to 1080p, I get green artifact on the screen. Did the guy pull a fast one on me? The system appears to play games and works fine in 720p, but when I set the dash to 1080p I get green artifacting. Is the GPU on this thing failing? The unit looks completely custom, with a custom heatsink and output fan. I just would think if the GPU was bad, it would be artifacting on 720p as well as 1080p.

7. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Shoddy HDMI cable?
    How old is the 360?

8. blazingwolf
    OP

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong, I am extracting the contents of the .iso to the root of my 360 formatted USB. But it doesn't show any applications available when I go to storage under the dasbhoard?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

This HDMI cable runs 1080p fine on my PS4. I'll try another and see, I guess the 360 can be touchy when it comes to HDMI cables. Manufacturer date is Nov 2009. So a few years into the system's life, not sure what revision was being made back then.

9. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    The xexmenu CD?
    There should be a folder called Content on there, that's the folder that the 360 reads.
    It contains XeXMenu.

Hmm, artefacts shouldn't occur then.
    You could try another cable, if the problem persists, it might be a cold solder joint somewhere underneath the GPU.
    A reflow will temporarily mend it, a reball is necessary if you intent to keep this system.
    Nov 2009 should be a Jasper/Kronos motherboard, it's not a machine prone to RRODs but it could always happen.

10. blazingwolf
    OP

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    Well thats unfortunate. I got a good deal on it though so I'm not too worried. I guess if a game is forced to run a 1080p it could screw me over then.

I followed this guide and used the XexMenu provided there and that worked for me:

Next is installing the custom dashboard.

Is Dashlaunch 3.19 usuable for dash version 2.0.17544.0?

11. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Dashlaunch 3.19 is for 17526, 3.21 is the newest for the latest dash.

12. blazingwolf
    OP

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    What’s a reliable source for 3.21? I can use 3.21 even if I’m on 17544?

13. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Yep, otherwise go for 3.20.

14. blazingwolf
    OP

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    Gotcha, yeah I tried three different HDMI cables and they all give me artifacting. So weird. If I wanted to reflow, what's a good resource for how to do that?

15. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    DIYing? heatgun to the GPU.
    Tho I highly recommend getting it reballed.

Reflowing is a temporary solution, the problem will come back at one point.

16. blazingwolf
    OP

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    I found someone who had a similar issue who said they were able to resolve it by using the component cables instead, I'll give that a shot as that could be an easy fix in the mean time.

17. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    You never know until you try haha.

18. blazingwolf
    OP

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    So I set the defaulth path in Dashlaunch to boot Aurora, but now when I boot the 360, I get a screen prompting me to enable a controller/sing into a profile, and then a black screen. How can I recover from this? Do I need to remove the HDD and start again?

Edit: So I realized its not frozen, when I hit the Xbox Button on the menu appears, and if I select go to Xbox Home, it then loads Aurora, so instead of direct booting it, its sticking to a black screen after selecting my Xbox Profile. Not sure what I need to to do make it go right into Aurora after hitting power on.

19. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Could you paste your launch.ini here?
    Xbox shouldn't ask for profile sign in, unless you have it set to auto sign in.

20. blazingwolf
    OP

Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    Here:

Long Config FIle

Last edited by blazingwolf, Nov 18, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted