Hacking Just picked up an RGH'd 360 today, questions on how to get it fully set up from scratch.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surprisingly, I didn't get scammed, the unit turns on after a few seconds which I hear can be not the case with RGH. It has games which I confirm launch, custom menus, etc. I want to start from scratch and make my own set up.

1. I have two spare 2.5 inch HDDs, both Hitachi that I want to upgrade the HDD in. Can this be done? I looked up some tutorials and it says it needs to be certain version. Is this still the case with a RGH'd 360?

2. I am reading this: (https://gbatemp.net/threads/setting-up-freestyle-dash.350470/) tutorial on how to set up a 360, I am starting from complete SCRATCH, I know nothing about modded 360, I just had an old one back in the day that played burnt back ups. Can I assume this one can also play burnt DVDs?

3. I don't know how to confirm I have the latest dash or how to update it without ruining the mod. With an RGH'd/JTAG Xbox, you can't undo the mod and lock yourself out without messing up the hardware right? Same for Dashlaunch, is this something I do before I remove the HDD?

4. I assume once I launch XEXmenu I'm good from there. The link in the guide is out of date, where can I find the latest XexMenu CD/Utilities disc, and/or latest menus/dashboards, etc?

Thanks for any help, excited to get this customized my way soon!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Me Falcon takes 1-2 glitchcycles.
R-JTAG is supposed to be even faster so yeh, RGH can deffo boot within seconds.

Nope, any 2.5" HDD can fit in there (max 10ish mm thick) or 3.5" if you fancy removing the DVD drive and want to solder, 2TB is the max.

Why would you play burnt backups?
Dump everything to the internal HDD, way easier and faster haha.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/updating-your-hardware-hacked-360.353979/
New update has been released a day or 2 ago, give it a bit and Dashlaunch/XeBuild/JRunner will be updated accordingly.

I've upped it to mega for the time being, I suggest reading this thread.
It contains some info on a new hacked emulator and includes the link to the Xexmenu CD.
Just extract the CD to the root of a FAT32 formatted USB and you'll be good to go.

Compared to the internal HDD?
Yeh, USB is slower.

You can also choose to install Aurora, install procedure is almost exactly the same as FSD.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm just confused because everything I am reading online says I need to use a certain model WD 2.5 drive to upgrade the HDD on my 360. So lets say I remove the HDD and put in my new one. What happens there? I'm assuming I need to reformat the HDD using the 360. Then how do I install/run XEXMenu if my drive doesn't read burned discs. Can I launch the utilities I need to set up my HDD straight from USB on a fresh HDD? I don't actually understand how RGH works to exploit my console so maybe thats what I'm missing. Is it like the PS3, where once you exploit it in debug mode, which allows you to run any .pkg, once the XBOX is RGH'd I can run any XEX file off USB?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's only true for retail 360's.
JTAG/RGH ignore the security sectors.

You'll need to insert the drive and format it yes.
Extract the CD to the root of a FAT32 formatted USB.
You can launch XeXMenu from there on or copy it to the HDD.

Yeh, once you got an alternate dash set up you can easily load game extracts or GOD games.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like you said, the HDD swap was plug and play. :)

I am working on installing XeXMenu and then Aurora.

Quick question.

I noticed when I set the Xbox 360 to 1080p, I get green artifact on the screen. Did the guy pull a fast one on me? The system appears to play games and works fine in 720p, but when I set the dash to 1080p I get green artifacting. Is the GPU on this thing failing? The unit looks completely custom, with a custom heatsink and output fan. I just would think if the GPU was bad, it would be artifacting on 720p as well as 1080p.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what I'm doing wrong, I am extracting the contents of the .iso to the root of my 360 formatted USB. But it doesn't show any applications available when I go to storage under the dasbhoard?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Shoddy HDMI cable?
How old is the 360?

This HDMI cable runs 1080p fine on my PS4. I'll try another and see, I guess the 360 can be touchy when it comes to HDMI cables. Manufacturer date is Nov 2009. So a few years into the system's life, not sure what revision was being made back then.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The xexmenu CD?
There should be a folder called Content on there, that's the folder that the 360 reads.
It contains XeXMenu.

Hmm, artefacts shouldn't occur then.
You could try another cable, if the problem persists, it might be a cold solder joint somewhere underneath the GPU.
A reflow will temporarily mend it, a reball is necessary if you intent to keep this system.
Nov 2009 should be a Jasper/Kronos motherboard, it's not a machine prone to RRODs but it could always happen.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well thats unfortunate. I got a good deal on it though so I'm not too worried. I guess if a game is forced to run a 1080p it could screw me over then.

I followed this guide and used the XexMenu provided there and that worked for me:

Next is installing the custom dashboard.

Is Dashlaunch 3.19 usuable for dash version 2.0.17544.0?

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha, yeah I tried three different HDMI cables and they all give me artifacting. So weird. If I wanted to reflow, what's a good resource for how to do that?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DIYing? heatgun to the GPU.
Tho I highly recommend getting it reballed.

Reflowing is a temporary solution, the problem will come back at one point.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found someone who had a similar issue who said they were able to resolve it by using the component cables instead, I'll give that a shot as that could be an easy fix in the mean time.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I set the defaulth path in Dashlaunch to boot Aurora, but now when I boot the 360, I get a screen prompting me to enable a controller/sing into a profile, and then a black screen. How can I recover from this? Do I need to remove the HDD and start again?

Edit: So I realized its not frozen, when I hit the Xbox Button on the menu appears, and if I select go to Xbox Home, it then loads Aurora, so instead of direct booting it, its sticking to a black screen after selecting my Xbox Profile. Not sure what I need to to do make it go right into Aurora after hitting power on.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here:

; launch.xex V3.0 config file
; parsed by simpleIni http://code.jellycan.com/simpleini/
; currently supported devices and paths:
; internal hard disk Hdd:\
; usb memory stick Usb:\
; memory unit Mu:\
; USB memory unit UsbMu:\
; big block NAND mu FlashMu:\
; internal slim 4G mu IntMu:\
; internal corona 4g mu MmcMu:\
; CD/DVD Dvd:\ (not recommended to use this one)
; buttons can point to any xex, or any CON with default.xex in it on any of the above devices
; note that Right Bumper is ALWAYS default to return NXE
; if you want to assign an additional one, use the path Sfc:\dash.xex ie:
; BUT_A = Sfc:\dash.xex

; all comments and fields in this file are optional, you can remove anything you don't need
; sorry for any double negatives :P
; njoy, cOz

; example entry
; Default = Hdd:\FreeStyle\default.xex
[Paths]
BUT_A =
BUT_B =
BUT_X =
BUT_Y = Sfc:\dash.xex
Start =
Back =
LBump =
RThumb =
LThumb =

; Default is what loads when you hold no buttons
; leave this blank if you want NXE as default
Default = Hdd:\Homebrew\Aurora\Aurora.xex

; at boot time, default can be overridden based on how the console is turned on
; if you start with wired/wireless/IR guide button, this item if existing will be used instead of default
; note that the Guide item is ALWAYS overridden by option: remotenxe = true
Guide =

; if you power on with the button on the front of the console (or the power button on a remote if remotenxe is not set to true)
; this item will be used instead of default
Power =

; if set, going to system settings from HUD will run this app, override with Right Bumper
Configapp =

; if set, this will be run as a title before any other option occurs, does not get circumvented by held buttons or default
; guide/power opts are processed after this; intended for a short video player to allow replacing bootanim
Fakeanim =

; by default this only dumps to UART, setting a file here will cause unhandled exception info to be dumped
; as text to a file. Same path restraints as the quick launch buttons.
; if exchandler is set to false, this option does nothing.
; note that this uses the first drive of the class found, so if you use usb: and have more than one usb device
; it may wind up on any of the usb devices depending on which was enumerated first. The path for the file is only
; checked on boot, so the device must be present at power on and at crash time for this to be effective
; ie: dumpfile = Usb:\crashlog.txt
Dumpfile =

; example plugin entry
; plugin1 = Usb:\plugin\aplugin.xex
[Plugins]
plugin1 =
plugin2 =
plugin3 =
plugin4 =
plugin5 =

; these options are never used directly by dash launch but serve to give the configuration program
; a place to keep these values; note that things like ftp and udp servers are only running while installer is running
[Externals]

; if true, the configuration application will start a FTP server (user/pass: xbox)
; if not present default is FALSE
ftpserv = false

; if ftpserv is true, this is the port that will be used by the FTP server
; if not present default is 21
ftpport = 21

; if true, the configuration application will start the xebuild update server
updserv = false

; if true, the configuration application will start in launch mode instead of options mode
calaunch = false

; if true, temps in installer and in guide (shuttemps option) will be shown in fahrenheit instead of celsius
fahrenheit = false

[Settings]

; if true, brining up miniblade in NXE and then pressing Y will cause launch.xex to relaunch for you
; note you must release Y button then press desired QuickLaunchButtons after or use default item
; if not present default is TRUE
nxemini = true

; if true ping limit will be removed for system link play (thanks FBDev!)
pingpatch = true

; if true header license bits will be patched for addon content (00000002 type content)
contpatch = false

; if true header license bits will be patched for xbla content (000D0000 type content)
xblapatch = false

; usually used in combination with contpatch/xblapatch or when XBLA is run extracted instead of from a container, spoofs replies from XamContentGetLicenseMask
licpatch = false

; Normally when a fatal error occurs the xbox will just freeze, setting this to false will cause a reboot or powerdown
; setting to TRUE will also disable the unhandled exception filter which tries to intercept recoverable unhandled exceptions with exit to dash
fatalfreeze = false

; when fatalfreeze is set to false, setting this to true will cause the box to reboot, setting it to false will instead have the box shut down
; note that this option does NOTHING when fatalfreeze is set to true
fatalreboot = false

; setting this to true will cause the box to reboot (soft reboot) the way it was intended to
; on jtag ONLY set this to true if using blackaddr's reboot fix for SMC, else on reboot you will get E71 and corrupted dash/video/etc settings
; if not present default is TRUE
safereboot = true

; when set to true, it is possible to hold RB when launching a game to have the region that the game gets from xam spoofed
; if not present this is set to FALSE
regionspoof = false

; when regionspoof is true, you set your region here in hex preceding the value with 0x, for example devkit would be region = 0x7fff
; if not present but regionspoof is set to true, this is set to 0x7FFF
region = 0x7fff

; when set to false, ejecting a dvd video or game returns you to your default item, set to true to auto exit to NXE
dvdexitdash = false

; when set to false, using the exit item in an XBLA game returns you to your default item, set to true to exit to NXE arcade menu
xblaexitdash = false

; when set to true, using miniblades system setting options will not exit to NXE
nosysexit = false

; when set to true, miniblades will not appear... ever (requested as child saftey measure)
; note that using this option overrides everything in dash launch that relies on miniblade exits to function
nohud = false

; when set to false, xbox will be capable of finding system updaters
; if not present this is set to TRUE
noupdater = true

; when set to true, dash launch will put all debug strings out to uart
debugout = true

; when set to false, dash launch will not attempt to handle last chance unhandled exceptions
; if set to false, exceptions will also not be dumped to the dumpfile
; if not present this is set to TRUE
exchandler = true

; if set to true, this will block the console from resolving LIVE related dns
; if not set this value will be TRUE
liveblock = true

; if liveblock is set to true, this will block the console from resolving all MS related dns
; setting this to TRUE will also block apps like freestyle from accessing things like cover images
; *** note that if NO INI is present for launch.xex, this is set to TRUE
; if not set this value will be FALSE
livestrong = true

; when set to TRUE the X (guide) and power button on IR remotes will cause the xbox to boot to NXE instead of default item
; note that powering on with the windows/start button automatically goes to NXE's media center now regardless of how this is set
remotenxe = false

; when set to TRUE all USB drives will be polled at hddtimer intervals for the file "alive.txt" in their root
; if the file exists, it will be recreated and 16 random bytes written to it on each poll which should keep drives from spinning down
hddalive = false

; in seconds, the interval between when USB devices will be polled for "alive.txt" file
; if not set and hddalive is set to TRUE this value will be 210
hddtimer = 210

; attempts to disable popups related to signing in, like "live is blocked" and similar
; !! WARNING OTHER THINGS DO USE THIS DIALOG AND DETECTING THAT IT'S A LOGIN DIALOG MAY NOT BE PERFECT !!
; !! to sign into live profiles other than auto signing on boot you MUST accept the 'check live for updates' dialog BEFORE enabling this option !!
signnotice = false

; when you hold guide button to shut down xbox, normally the 'cancel' option is selected
; setting this to TRUE will cause the shutdown option to be auto selected instead
; !! WARNING OTHER THINGS DO USE THIS DIALOG AND DETECTING THAT IT'S SHUTDOWN DIALOG MAY NOT BE PERFECT !!
autoshut = false

; when you hold guide button to shut down xbox, normally a dialog comes up
; setting this to TRUE will cause the console to shutdown instead of show a dialog
; !! WARNING OTHER THINGS DO USE THIS DIALOG AND DETECTING THAT IT'S SHUTDOWN DIALOG MAY NOT BE PERFECT !!
autooff = false

; 14699+ has native http functions, but you are forced to be logged into use them
; this patch removes that restriction, set to false to disable it if you have any problems
xhttp = true

; when tempbcast is set to TRUE the raw temp data from smc will be broadcast over UDP at temptime second
; intervals on port tempport
tempbcast = false

; if not set this value will be 10
temptime = 10

; if not set this value will be 7030
tempport = 7030

; when set to TRUE all titles will have the insecure socket privilege
sockpatch = false

; when set to TRUE dash launch will not erase launchdata before launching a quick launch item
passlaunch = false

; when set to TRUE various functions will be spoofed to make firmware think it's connected to LIVE
; this does not compensate for the fact that it cannot contact LIVE servers
; setting this to TRUE forces liveblock to TRUE
fakelive = false

; when set to TRUE network/cloud storage options should not show up in disk dialogs
nonetstore = true

; when set to TRUE a snapshot of the console temperature data will be displayed in the console shutdown dialog (displayed when guide button is held)
; enabling this option disables autooff
shuttemps = false

; when true, any devkit profiles on the console will not appear as corrupt and can be used
; any changes such as saving games or getting achievements will resign the profile with the current/retail keyvault
; this seems not to affect glitch/jtag dev crossflash, but could affect these profiles on true devkits
devprof = false

; when true, system link data will be encrypted for communication with devkits
devlink = false

; when true dash launch will perform automatic disk swapping
; WARNING!! do not enable if you use FSD or swap.xex for this !!
autoswap = false

; when true, disables kinect health pseudo video at game launch
nohealth = true

; when true, disables dash locale setup screens when settings already exist
nooobe = true

; when true dash launch will automatically enable fakelive functionality only during official dash and indie play sessions
autofake = false

; if some titles benefit from fakelive, add them here - only 10 may be listed
autofake0 = 0x00000000
autofake1 = 0x00000000
autofake2 = 0x00000000
autofake3 = 0x00000000
autofake4 = 0x00000000
autofake5 = 0x00000000
autofake6 = 0x00000000
autofake7 = 0x00000000
autofake8 = 0x00000000
autofake9 = 0x00000000

; when true and autofake is enabled, contpatch will be enabled for community games only
; this option will be ignored if autofake is not enabled
autocont = false

Last edited by blazingwolf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over