Just picked up a Neo Geo Pocket Color :)

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by garbanzox, Feb 23, 2014.

1. garbanzox
    OP

garbanzox GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    Saw one in my local game store for $35 and just had to go for it. It's a silver one with a few nicks and scratches on the case, but nothing major - overall it's in great shape. Especially considering they wanted $100 for a I only have the two Metal Slug games so far, but the first one alone is proving that the system was worth buying. I'm enjoying it a lot.

I don't go much for fighting games so I'm not sure what else I'll get. I've played through a bit of Dark Arms - Beast Buster in an emulator and liked it enough to buy. Any other games I should look into?

2. Flavor

Flavor GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    For sure look up "SNK Vs. Capcom: Cardfighters Clash" (and see http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ for the 2nd version).

Next, you need to check out "Faselei!" and "Biomotor Unitron."

Those are my top picks (as someone that's also not as into the fighting games). Sonic Pocket Adventure and Neo Turfmasters are a couple others that're good, but there's plenty of good to be had.

3. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Second for Faselei! I'd even consider a Flash Cart if the Translation of Ogre Battle ever gets done.

4. jumpman1229

jumpman1229 SUPER BOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!!!

Mar 2, 2013
    United States
    Maryland
    Faselei! is quite expensive, but if you can get your hands on it, it is a great game! I recommend Biomotor Unitron which is a lot like Pokemon. It was SNK's response to the Pokemon craze when it first came out and a really fun game.

Gal Fighters is another game I have been looking for. Currently I have Puzzle Bobble Mini, Sonic Pocket Adventure, Pac-Man, Metal Slug 2nd Mission and SNK Vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium. I recommend each and every one of these games. Absolute must haves!

5. KidIce

KidIce Smart Ass

Dec 22, 2005
    United States
    It's a crying shame that you are not in to fighters. The NGP has the best thumb controlled stick/pad EVER built into it... 'Specially for fighters. Micro-switches are the best digital mechanism ever. ALL D-PAD STYLES SUCK! </rant>

Almost every US release for the NGP was a gem... Hell, almost all the imports I own were great too.

To add to the already suggested titles: Puyo Pop 2, Bust A Move Pocket, Dive Alert and Evolution. IIRC, Puyo and Evolution were not released in the US (and the fact that I have "clam shell" boxes for them enforces this in my mind), but I've seen them for sale on various sites even if they are the EU versions. FYI there is no region locking or any such on the NGP, every NGP cart ever made will function on your NGPC.

6. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Ugh, Gonna end up digging mine out now. Thanks guys. >.>

7. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
  8. jumpman1229

jumpman1229 SUPER BOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!!!

Mar 2, 2013
    United States
    Maryland
  9. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    That's what I was thinking too. I may take the plunge and get a NGPC then. I'll probably just import one cheap.

10. garbanzox
    OP

garbanzox GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just dropped $45 on a nice pack of games eBay, should be enough to get me started :)

Biomotor Unitron
    Bust A Move
    Crush Roller
    Dark Arms - Beast Buster
    Fatal Fury
    King of Fighters - R2
    Pac Man
    Puzzle Bobble Mini
    Samurai Showdown 2
    Puzzle Link
    Puzzle Link 2

11. Flavor

Flavor GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    Yeah, lots like this can be found for pretty cheap. At one time, after SNK went bankrupt, there were a whole lot of loose cart games released from warehouses onto the market. These games can still be found for dirt cheap.

Some titles were never released that way, but you can definitely find the first Cardfighters Clash for cheap, and that's what I'd recommend. It might cost you $5 or so, but it's money well spent in my opinion. The second version called "SNK Vs. Capcom: Card Fighters 2 Expand Edition" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNK_vs._Capcom:_Card_Fighters_Clash#SVC:_Card_Fighters_2_Expand_Edition) was only released in Japan just before the bankruptcy. It's very rare, but you can find the translation online (as mentioned earlier in the thread at http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/). You probably want to steer clear of the version released on the DS. It's quite a different game.