Just picked up a Codebreaker DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by KidIce, Jan 25, 2007.

Jan 25, 2007

Just picked up a Codebreaker DS by KidIce at 4:04 AM (1,566 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. KidIce
    OP

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    I don't know if anyone else noticed but the DS Codebreaker is out. I did a search and nothing turned up so I thought I'd post something about it.

It works, does exactly what you'd expect a cheat device to do. I've only been messing w/ it for an hour or so but I'm already liking it better then the Action Replay. Here's some of the differences from the Action Replay (yes I own one of those too):

1) There isn't a USB port/cable. Online updates are done via WiFi instead of proprietary software and a USB cable. This is a pro for me, but I could see some people seeing it as a con (ie people w/o WiFi access) as there is no other way to update the firmware. Codes OTOH...

2) You can input codes directly on the DS via touchscreen keyboard. Despite what the review here says AR cheats are user editable, they are stored in XML on your HD, aren't that hard to interpret and can easily be modified w/ a text editor... However, this isn't exactly ideal and can't be done on the go as you would still have to add them to the cart via the USB cable.

3) The CB is a horseshoe design (like the old M3 Passme's) and isn't removed while in use. In a way, I like this, as removing the AR and inserting the other game cart bothers me, I mean, the DS wasn't really designed to hot swap carts I don't think. OTOH, I don't like the idea of leaving an extra device plugged in to my DS sucking up battery life (I have no idea what the CB's impact on the DS' battery is at this point though) and making it harder to get it in to my pocket.

4) There is an on/off switch. I'm not completely clear on what exactly (beyond the obvious) it does at this point, I'll have to mess w/ it some more. Here's what I do know: The CB menu does not appear if the switch is off when you boot your DS (duh). My EZPass3 doesn't work in the CB whether the DS is booted w/ the switch on or off. Codes do not turn off if you have enabled them and then turn the switch to off (bummer, would have been a MAJOR plus point over the AR, IMO). What I don't know: If enabling cheats then switching the switch to off alters the CB's impact on the DS battery. If this switch could be used for anything else in the future.

5) The CB has automatic cart recognition, but even if the cart is not recognized the icon and game name are displayed on the top screen in the same style as the DS boot menu and cheats can be enabled. Automatic cart recognition can be turned off and is not required. If you so desire you can enable cheats for a different game then what you actually have socketed (obviously, they are not likely to do anything beneficial if you do). It's possible that this could be used w/ slot 1 flash carts as it is no longer required for the cheat device to recognize the inserted cart before it allows you to select cheats. I'm not sure about this though as I don't have a slot 1 device (yet?) to test this theory.

Codebreaker has always been a superior product to Datel's offering (even back when they were sold under the Gameshark label in the US), IMO, and in many ways I'm expecting and so far experiencing that w/ the CB DS... I'll know for sure once I find out how the CB effects the DS's battery. I'll dork around w/ it some more, post any more findings and maybe answer some questions, but I'm unlikely to do a proper review. So if there is anything you want to know that I didn't already tell you ask here.

2. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That is great information to know. I too own the AR DS. Not too impressed, but it gets the job done. Where did you manage to find your Code Breaker? I looked on the internet, even the CB website. Only eBay has them for sale it seems.

3. delta123

Member delta123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    what i want to know is can you use it for the slot 1 flash carts. i`m kinda bummed that the m3 slot -1 cant use the dipstar.

4. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    no you cant use them for flash cards:(

5. KidIce
    OP

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    I bought it from my local EBGames, they are also available on their website. CLICKY

6. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thanks KidIce, it is greatly appreciated. Now to buy one! [​IMG]