Just ordered an Acekard 2i fora DSi XL, few questions pls

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by MrMrMr, Apr 26, 2010.

1. MrMrMr
    OP

Newcomer MrMrMr Member

United States
    Hi my son has a DS Lite but it's now broke the hinge snapped and now top screen is not working, it had an M3 Simply on for games and worked fine.

So I was told with a DSi XL that the M3 Simply wouldn't work and he told me to get an Acekard 2i, is this a good card to get and simple to use (as per M3 Simply?)

also I've heard the XL has a SD card slot for music and videos. Can this be used in conjunction with the Acekard? ie with Acekard in can I play music and video off it?

With the Acekard in does the XL work as normal? I believe that the XL has built in games, camera functions sound/voice manipulation etc, will this all work as normal with Acekard or will it have to be ejected to work as standard XL?

Basically I want it to run games as DS Lite, but also have the extra functions of the XL.

Is the Acekard 2i a good choice? I don't know much about them really, I'm. It too bothered about the advance functions really.

Is there anything that doesn't work if the Acekard is in?
    Cheers

2. Jasper07

Member Jasper07 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    The AK 2i is a very simple card to use, as in user friendly. I have it too and it works great. The SD card can't be used in conjunction with the Acekard. The XL should work as normal yes, and you can use all the functions like sound manipulation, camera's, music playing, the shop, internet.... everything.

edit: oh and there is nothing that doens't work when the ak is in. It just works as normal.

3. rover eric

Newcomer rover eric Newbie

United States
    as someone who just had the problem yesterday :

1) The acekard i ordered from Gamekool that arrrived 2 days ago was still running v1.3 on it. Your DS XL is running 1.4 and it won't work out of the box.

Follow the instructions on the wiki about flashing the card - you have to dig up a DSI running 1.3 or older, pop in the acekard, and run a program that updates it to 1.4 so it works in your DS XL. I ended up going and buying a used DSI from gamestop that had firmware 1.2 on it, just to run the flash, and then returned it.

2) My DS XL required me to insert into place, and then use my fingernail to back it out just a hair. If i don't do this, games lock up within only a few seconds of loading.

Other than that ( and the entire day it took me to resolve those issues, and time spent troubleshooting ) ....all is well with the setup.

4. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    The Acekard like all flashcarts is unable to use any of the additional features of the DSi/ DSi XL, this includes: WPA, SD Card Slot, Camera, additional processing core, additional memory. DSi mode hasn't been cracked yet.

The Acekard will not be able to access anything on the SD card.

If will not effect normal use of the DSi.

5. rover eric

United States
    I've been reading all the wiki's and such... but i gotta ask : how big a deal is that? Realize - i'm 32, and just bought the DS XL as a present for my wife 2 weeks ago. I know very little about this system and it's application besides popping in "Brain Age" or "Professor Layton" or some such game....which i've now got running off the acekard.

So... what games or aspects of games are affected by your aforementioned limitations? Am i missing some aspect of NDS ownership that i haven't figured out yet, where this is such a huge hinderance ?

-eric

6. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    Don't worry, i'm 32 too.

It's not a big deal for games as there are so few DSi exclusive titles. There are others which are DSi enhanced, but I doubt you really missing anything.

When using with an Acekard, just think of the XL as an XL version of the DSL instead of the DSi. There are still many happy DSL owners who live quite happily without the DSi features.

7. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    Many people would prefer to use WPA over WEP encryption on their wireless network if it is an option.
    I haven't personally collected any games that utilize DSi-specific functions that aren't DSiWare.
    It pretty much means that if you're playing a game on your Acekard, the game thinks you're playing on a DSLite.

8. mr.uk

Newcomer mr.uk Member

United Kingdom
    I have a DSi XL and Acekard and it's one of the best things I ever bought, don't worry about not being able to use the extra features. I use the SD slot to store another micro sdhc card using an SD adapter, that way I don't have a tiny little card floating about and worry about it getting damaged and lost.

Plus you can still use the microsd card in the adapter with games and firmware on it to take pictures and use it as normal storage and nothing interfers with anything else.

9. oceangoyo

Newcomer oceangoyo Member

United States

Does it have to be a dsi running 1.3 can it not be a ds lite or something? I would hate to have to go buy a dsi to flash a card just so I can pop it in my dsi xl. Thats sounds stupid.

10. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    Guide is here http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=218103#update

It can be a DS Lite, DS Phat or a DSi wirth Firmware version

11. rover eric

United States
    Oh, i don't know... it did the trick. I don't know anyone else with a DS - let alone one where i knew the firmware was the correct version. So as not to inconvenience people, i took care of it myself and just bought another one so i could flash the card and then return the DSi to gamestop. It worked well for my purposes. I was actually surprised to have found a DSi running a version prior to 1.4 - the first one they pulled out to have me check was already upgraded to 1.4 ... luckily the second was left at v1.2.

If i had to do it again, i would have ordered the card from a shop that would flash it to 1.4 first...but i didn't know any better when i ordered it.

12. MrMrMr
    OP

Newcomer MrMrMr Member

United States
    Thanks for the replies. So using acekard for games is ok, and also being able to use the XL as a normal unit with the acekard still in is possible, eg for listening to music off the stock SD card for example?

To play video in dpg format it will have to be on the microSD card? Is this correct? Also the original camera, microphone etc can still be used with the in built apps with the acekard inserted?

I still have a DS Lite but insure what version, how do I find out? I'm unsure what version the acekard will come with if I need a v1.4, I hope it's an easy update to do as not to techy on these things!

Thanks again and any links etc are gratefully accepted.

13. fishykipper

Member fishykipper pkmn breeder

United Kingdom
    yeah, everything is still accessable, it just shows up on the dsi home screen as the 'acekard icon'!
    i have the same set up, a dsi xl and an acekard 2i! personally i'd say its the best combination possible!

to play dpg format videos, you'll have to load the videos through the 'acekard', and from the 'acekard', you'll be using a program called 'moonshell'.

The update from the factory setting of v.1.3, to 1.4 is very very easy, its the same as loading a .nds game onto the sd card! Look for the tutorial, but basically all you do. Is put your newly purchased 'acekard' into you DS LITE, and boot it up as if it was a game, it'll then patch the actual 'acekard' itself with a firmware compatible with the dsi XL. then you're all set, just get the 'acekard' software on there and you .nds games and you're good to go!!!

14. fishykipper

Member fishykipper pkmn breeder

United Kingdom
    once youve flashed your acekard 2i with the dsi firmware v1.4. your dsi XL menu will look like this [​IMG]

this is perfecly normal, it has to be danny phantom to trick the dsi firmware into allowing the acekard to boot!!

just read the short above tutorial you'll be fine!! enjoy

15. MrMrMr
    OP

Newcomer MrMrMr Member

United States
    Thanks again, which tutorial sorry?

Also I've done. Google Bout firmware on DS Lite incase my acekard is v1.3, but it states about v-,2,3,4,5,6 not he v1.3 and v1.4 talked about in here. Can you explain this and how I check firmware version of my current DS incase I need to update the acekard

also what's the danny phantom thing please? Is it just another icon along the menu bar? On M3 it loads with 3 items to choose, my son chooses Game and then lists them, is this similiar

thanks again appreciate help, trying to get everything ready for the w/end when his XL comes

16. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    HERE http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=218103#update

17. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Keep in mind that you can flash the Acekard multiple times in case it didn't work the first time.

18. oceangoyo

Newcomer oceangoyo Member

United States
    Is there any other way of getting the acekard to work with the 1.4 firmware without having to run this danny phantom thing? I dont really have access to another DS. also what version of akaio firmware should I be running?

Thanks

19. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    I'm getting fed up posting it, everything you need to know is in this guide

No you you cannot get around the 'danny phantom thing' if you want to use an Acekard on a DSi with Firmware version 1.4.

Version of AKAIO? the latest, which is AKAIO 1.6RC2

20. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    What about using the DS with a broken top screen? That's what I did, as the Acekard menus are on the bottom screen, and the Danny Phantom update is on the bottom screen too. The top screen isn't needed.

In fact, I flashed my Acekard about 10 minutes before my DS lite lost the ability to turn on.