Hacking Just installed A9LH using Plailect's guide; don't really understand what happens now

Charlie.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

I used to be a Gateway user who had a 9.2.0 EUR N3DS XL and was using an Emunand to use the header-patched games from my GW red card. Somehow when deleting some stuff from the SD I managed to break the Gateway installation, so I decided to install A9LH as it could boot into Gateway menu straight away.

The install of A9LH went off without a hitch, and now when I turn on my N3DS I am put into the home menu which is currently version "Sys 11.0.0-33E". Is this the actual sysNAND of the system, indicated by the "Sys" part of the version number? If so, is this the place to install game cia files etc (FBI is installed on the home menu)? Is it also ok to play legit game cartridges on here?

I also am using the arm9loaderhax.bin file from Gateway's site which allows me to run the Gateway Menu on boot. If I wanted to use the red card to play my current games from, would that require me to install an emuNAND again, and if so, how would I go about doing this?

Another question I have is, how do you go about updating the firmware of what is currently at "Sys 11.0.0-33E". Is this done the normal legit way through the settings menu?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ADS3500

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your sysnand is now running custom firmware, so everything you could do on sysnand is possible and everything you could do in emunand is now possible on sysnand. When an update is released, check online to see if it's safe to update. If it is safe, update normally through system settings.

Reactions: Charlie.

Charlie.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your quick replies!

So when I boot using the gateway a9lh bin file, it asks me to boot into "GW FASTBOOT: SYSNAND". Is all that this does allow you to use the Gateway game launcher using the select key? The version changes to "Ver. 11.0.0-33E" so does it still use the same exact sysNAND as if I hadn't used the gateway .bin file at boot and just used the normal one?

Also I assume games will still work online safely as they did using emuNAND (all my .3ds games have had their headers patched using a genuine cart).

Thanks again.

ADS3500

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

So when I boot using the gateway a9lh bin file, it asks me to boot into "GW FASTBOOT: SYSNAND". Is all that this does allow you to use the Gateway game launcher using the select key? The version changes to "Ver. 11.0.0-33E" so does it still use the same exact sysNAND as if I hadn't used the gateway .bin file at boot and just used the normal one?

Also I assume games will still work online safely as they did using emuNAND (all my .3ds games have had their headers patched using a genuine cart).

Thanks again.
I don't use Gateway, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's what it does. It's normal for it to say "ver" when using Gateway. Saying "sys" is a feature that Luma has. I'm not sure if games will work safely online with Gateway, but you can play safely online with a game installed as a CIA.

fikatr

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey

Thanks again.
its normal but DONT UPDATE WHEN USİNG GATEWAY

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks again.
Gateway sysNAND will still show "Ver" instead of "Sys", and "Sys" is a feature of Luma. Anything you could normally do before with Gateway should still work in Gateway sysNAND. HOWEVER, and I will put this in caps and bold because this is crucial info, DO NOT UPDATE SYSNAND WHILE IN GATEWAY MODE. The best thing to come from that would be the update would remove A9LH from your system and you would be stuck with a 11.0+ non-arm9-exploitable system, meaning no more gateway without either hardmod or another hacked system. Maybe gateway added FIRM protection, but last I checked they didn't. And the worst case of this scenario is you end up with a brick AND no A9LH to recover it.

Reactions: Charlie.

fikatr

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
how to profit

convert all your 3ds files and saves to use as cia

sell your gateway

sell your gateway sd card

buy a new big sd card

install all your old gateway games as cia

profit

Charlie.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK thanks guys, so only ever update when the system settings shows "Sys" in front of the version number (not in Gateway mode). Where do you check whether an update has been confirmed working and safe to upgrade to?

fikatr: yeah thought that would be what most on here would recommend. I do like their cheat menu implementation though. Will probably end up using CIAs in the future, but having the gateway card allows me extra space to store more games. I currently have a 64GB card in the 3DS and a 64GB card in the GW Red Card. Can the 3DS handle 128GB or even 256GB? I don't think it was meant to really support 64GB but I followed some guide which formatted it to FAT32 even though it should really be ExFAT for >32GB.

ADS3500

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK thanks guys, so only ever update when the system settings shows "Sys" in front of the version number (not in Gateway mode). Where do you check whether an update has been confirmed working and safe to upgrade to?

fikatr: yeah thought that would be what most on here would recommend. I do like their cheat menu implementation though. Will probably end up using CIAs in the future, but having the gateway card allows me extra space to store more games. I currently have a 64GB card in the 3DS and a 64GB card in the GW Red Card. Can the 3DS handle 128GB or even 256GB? I don't think it was meant to really support 64GB but I followed some guide which formatted it to FAT32 even though it should really be ExFAT for >32GB.
People with hard mods will check if it's safe to update, so there will be threads about it when a new update releases. I've been using a 128gb SD card and I haven't had any problems with it. You just have to format it to FAT32 before using it on a 3ds.

fikatr

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey

if you're just using gateway for cheats just use ntr cfw you can find everyt cheat for ntr
btw you can use 128 gb sd card but you need to have less than 100 gb on your sd card or you cant install cia

Charlie.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
All of this, and now my internal SD card seems to have died :(

EDIT: Swapped SD cards, copied everything from the SD card backup I made when prompted in Plailect's guide, all I had to do is reinstall FBI through the "Health and Safety" inject method and then install the Luma3DS Updater and hblauncher cias. Now all working again.

Word of warning, don't use Kingston 64GB U3 80/70MBps cards if you want to keep your data very long!

Last edited by Charlie.,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0