sylux92

OP
Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
I just had the worst virus i have ever experienced on my computer. Something called getmodule33.exe. AVG picked it up and sent it to the virus vault. I thought my troubles were over, but they werent. Windows explorer kept crashing, coming back up, crashing, etc. Even did it in safe mode. It even deleted my system restore points and created its own, so i couldnt restore. Finally got it resolved, however it started after I visited a certain wii forum site (cannot post site name because it contains links to ISO's).

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow I feel your pain, I remember one time my mother click on the 'free ipod' ads and given her information and everything. She never receive one but only got a bunch of viruses on the laptop, its now obsolete since it randomly cuts off for no reason.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
hm sounds pretty bad indeed.
if it happened while browsing then I recommend you stop using Internet Explorer because it is often subject to virus's of any sort
get Firefox, Opera or Google Chrome instead, they all are so much more secure!

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
if it happened while browsing then I recommend you stop using Internet Explorer because it is often subject to virus's of any sort
Firefox > Chrome > wad of dirt > opera > pile of crap > IE > corpse > Safari

USE AVAST!!!!

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use Malwarebytes for scanning your computer. It handles EVERYTHING! My GF had a fraudware problem a little while ago. A single scan with Malwarebytes cleared the whole thing up. I remember when you had to remove that kind of stuff manually. Also, switch browsers if you are still using IE.

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
juggernaut911 said:
Costello said:
Firefox > Chrome > wad of dirt > opera > pile of crap > IE > corpse > Safari

USE AVAST!!!!
Aw come on. Opera ain't so bad.

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh jeez.. you think THAT'S bad? I'm pretty sure I once got a virus from an arcade ROM that wiped my hard drive. Completely. Like, I would turn on my computer and it literally told me that Windows couldn't be found. At least, I'm pretty sure that was because of a single virus. It might have been the result of not taking care of my computer at all (I was only 12, lmfao).

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm... Not to burst everyone's collective AVG/AVAST/NOD32 + Firefox/Chrome bubble, but wouldn't the best security model be something more along the lines of... using an operating system which has no in the wild malware/viruses? If you keep constantly screwing over your own system due to your pirating nature, then do yourself a favor and switch to Linux or OS X. Before you start shouting cries of fanboyism, I'm writing this post on a copy of Windows 7, which I am enjoying every minute of.

If you do stick with Windows, you should look into getting some proactive security measurements, rather than reactive (like Anti-Virus). If I was going to live 24/7 in Windows, I would definately look into using something like Sandboxie ( http://www.sandboxie.com/ ). However, if I need to do something risky, I just boot into Linux or hop on my iMac.

And if you want my two cents, viruses/malware get so deep in your system nowadays that the only true way of getting them out of your computer is through a complete reinstall.

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beware said:
Use Malwarebytes for scanning your computer. It handles EVERYTHING! My GF had a fraudware problem a little while ago. A single scan with Malwarebytes cleared the whole thing up. I remember when you had to remove that kind of stuff manually. Also, switch browsers if you are still using IE.

I second that - I had a virus problem about a month back that Norton wouldn't detect, so I had to track it down and remove it manually. I thought I was in the clear, as the symptoms were gone. But then I heard about Malwarebytes, gave it a try, and it turns out I missed a few loose ends and a couple smaller malwares. I haven't had a problem since.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Foxle said:
Umm... Not to burst everyone's collective AVG/AVAST/NOD32 + Firefox/Chrome bubble, but wouldn't the best security model be something more along the lines of... using an operating system which has no in the wild malware/viruses? If you keep constantly screwing over your own system due to your pirating nature, then do yourself a favor and switch to Linux or OS X. Before you start shouting cries of fanboyism, I'm writing this post on a copy of Windows 7, which I am enjoying every minute of.

If you do stick with Windows, you should look into getting some proactive security measurements, rather than reactive (like Anti-Virus). If I was going to live 24/7 in Windows, I would definately look into using something like Sandboxie ( http://www.sandboxie.com/ ). However, if I need to do something risky, I just boot into Linux or hop on my iMac.

And if you want my two cents, viruses/malware get so deep in your system nowadays that the only true way of getting them out of your computer is through a complete reinstall.

By the same token, switching to an OS purely on the basis of "it's secure because there's no viruses" is the equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and going LALALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! They haven't got viruses yet. Once it becomes more popular... expect things to change.

If you don't mind shelling out a bit of cash, I personally reccomend getting Kapersky. It's a fantastic anti-virus and firewall tool, I've had it on my laptop before and I love using it. I'm sure there are good free ones out there, but I'm simply giving you my own advice based on my own experience
smile.gif

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trinest said:
Filter said:
NOD32 + FIREFOX (With adblock and noscript) = Best security.
Haahaahaahaahaaahaah...omfg I'm shitting my pants here.

Stupid firefox fanboys who think their browser is indistrutable.

Did you mean to say indestructible?

I'm not a fanboy, but Firefox is a damn good browser, unlike that crap M$ puts out.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Beware said:

Yea, that Malwarebytes did NOTHING for me... wife 'didn't' download a virus, and has no idea how it got on the computer... well, 4 formats and 3 virus scans later, found it was a fucking Bejewled 2 crack file that had the virus in it... I was really close to showing her what Domestic Abuse looks like up close... haha... no, but really, it pissed me off so bad because now I have a bad sector on the hard drive where the pagefile is writing to, and when I open certian programs, I get a BSOD, and have to hard reset the bastard....

Now tomorrow I have to wipe the drive AGIAN, and do a scan to mark the sector bad so it doesn't get written to... or find a new freakin drive on eBay...

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
Beware said:

Yea, that Malwarebytes did NOTHING for me... wife 'didn't' download a virus, and has no idea how it got on the computer... well, 4 formats and 3 virus scans later, found it was a fucking Bejewled 2 crack file that had the virus in it... I was really close to showing her what Domestic Abuse looks like up close... haha... no, but really, it pissed me off so bad because now I have a bad sector on the hard drive where the pagefile is writing to, and when I open certian programs, I get a BSOD, and have to hard reset the bastard....

Now tomorrow I have to wipe the drive AGIAN, and do a scan to mark the sector bad so it doesn't get written to... or find a new freakin drive on eBay...

Did you update it before scanning? Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is a pretty good app that can get rid of a lot of shit.

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless of what security methods you use one of the most important things you should do on a reasonably regular basis is simply a backup.

Instead of messing around with trying to use System restore or antivirus you could just restore from a backup. Of course you should find out how and why you got the virus in order to prevent it from happening again.

I am surprised how many ''I installed this and my computer won't boot'' or ''a virus wiped my OS'' posts I see. Does no one do backups nowadays?

The best security is proactive + defensive + behavior and signature pattern matching + backups.

I only recommend backups that image the hard disk contents as opposed to individual files and recommend using System Restore as a basic addition.

You can also mount any system hard disk images you do and scan the virtual drive with the latest Antivirus definitions and malware signatures to be extra safe.

sylux92

OP
Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
I was using firefox when the symptoms first appeared, however the rest of the family uses IE becuase it's "what they're used to, firefox is too different, blah blah blah..." And yes. Malware Bytes is great, that is what I used to get the virus off my computer because AVG couldnt detect it. Also, I once tried using a proactive solution called Threatfire, but it kept locking up my computer, so I took it off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Lol