Just hacked 4.1u but having some prolems

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by theomms, Jan 5, 2010.

Jan 5, 2010
  1. theomms
    OP

Newcomer theomms Member

United States
    Introduction

Hi! I am a noob to Wii modding. I got a Wii a few days ago and decided to hack it, but I am having some problems.

Here is what I did:

version 4.1u
    • modded with BannerBomb
    • bootmii
    • hackmii
    • TBR patched the ios
    • installed the preloader
    • patched with cios rev16
    • wad manager 1.4
    Here are the problems I am having:
    • neoGamma 7 channel does not work (screen goes black)
    • USBloader GX channel does not work (screen goes black)
    • the HBC works and can stuff can be loaded from there (neo gamma 7, usb loader gx, wiiflow) and back-ups will then play from a WD 320gb hdd
    ...Basically all of the channels that I have installed don't work, except the HBC

Finally, the worst problems:
    • originals played from the disc channel are getting read error (games were working fine before any mods)
    • all 4 of my wiimotes are now having trouble connecting, staying connected, and when they are connected the movement is "choppy" or unresponsive. (tried repositioning the sensor and changed all the batteries)
    My questions:

What do you think the problem is?
    What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    let me know if more information is needed.

2. bula

Member bula GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  3. theomms
    OP

Newcomer theomms Member

United States
    signCheck locked up on me on IOS36 when I tried running it. I can't get any further than that.

I'm starting to think that I patched IOS36 incorrectly. Is there any way that I could either re-patch it or revert it? I'm afraid that anything I do will brick the Wii.

4. bula

Member bula GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Rerun it if that does not work just install with DOP-IOS a fresh copy and then rrun TBR1.11 or DOP-IOSv10.1 again. BTW DOP-IOSv11-beta1 does TBR in one step but it is not released yet.

5. BBking83

Member BBking83 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Do you have an SD card in the Wii when you click on the channel?

I think they are just forwarders. Seeing as they work fine when you load the .dol from the HBC it's the only thing I can think of.

6. PHALLIUS

Newcomer PHALLIUS Member

United States
    I have a 4.2u. I had the same problem and this was the only guide I found that worked. Follow the guide below. I can't remember where I got the directions from but it's for a 4.2u. Check out "step 3". That was the crucial step for me. Be cautious with this though as it may brick your wii. Maybe you should update to 4.2u and try this if you get really stuck. You can probably start at step 2. I would redo the dop ios MOD steps again just to be sure.

Look below.

Step 1 - Installing Homebrew Channel and Bootmii

a. On your wii's main menu, click the SD Menu icon. Afterwards, insert the SD Card into the Wii. A Pop up saying Load boot.dol/elf? should appear. Select Yes.

b. The Hackmii Installer should now run. Make sure to install Homebrew Channel and Bootmii as an IOS and/or boot2. Always install it as boot2 if your wii can.

Step 2 - Restoring The Bug Into IOS36

a) Load and Homebrew Channel and run DOP-IOS MOD, on the IOS Selection Screen, press down on the d-pad then A on the wiimote. You should now be in the trucha bug restorer portion of DOP-IOS MOD. Load IOS36 and select Downgrade IOS15. Each time it asks, select 'Load From NUS'
    Make sure you get no errors. If Loading IOS36 doesn't work for this step, press B for no IOS reload when asked to load IOS.

b) Run DOP-IOS MOD again, on the IOS Selection Screen, press down on the d-pad and press A. Load IOS15 and choose IOS36 Menu. Make sure to install the patched IOS36 with all these patches selected:
    Install IOS to slot (36)
    Hash Check (trucha) Yes
    ES_Identify Yes
    NAND Permissions Yes

Then Press A on Install Patched IOS36. Again, everytime it asks, choose 'Load from NUS'

c) Re-run DOP-IOS MOD one more time, on the IOS Selection screen, press down on the d-pad and then A on the wiimote. Press B for 'No IOS Reload' and select Restore IOS15. Each time it asks, select 'Load from NUS'

Once done, return to homebrew channel and continue the tutorial

Step 3 - Delete The Stubbed IOS

a)Re-run Homebrew Channel and Load Any Title Deleter DB. If you get any errors just press A. Then select System Titles and press A. Then, select IOS222 and press A to delete. Do the same for IOS223, IOS249 and IOS250.

Step 4 - Installing cIOS249-rev14

3) Re-run Homebrew Channel and load cIOS38-rev14 Installer. Choose IOS36 and press A and then choose Network Install (requires wi-fi) or Wad Install and press A.

cIOS38 (IOS249) Installed.

Step 5 - Install and Patch A Few More IOS

a) Load up homebrew, then load up DOP-IOS MOD. Load IOS36 or IOS249, browse for the IOS, Navigate to IOS53, press A to install and say yes for Sig Hash Check (Trucha Bug). Do the same for IOS55. Next press home to return to homebrew channel.

b) Load up homebrew channel once more, then load up WAD Manager. Load IOS249, navigate to the wad folder, highlight IOS60patched.wad and press A. Make sure action is set to install and Install the wad. After a successful install, Press Home to go back to homebrew channel. Do the same for IOS70patched.wad. Make Sure the action is Set to INSTALL!

(Optional) Step 6 - Hermes' IOS222 and IOS223

a) Load Homebrew Channel and then WAD Manager
    b) Use default settings (IOS249 and SD Card), browse into the wad folder. Highlight cIOS202[38+60].wad and press A. Set the action to install and install it. Do the same for cIOS222[38].wad and cIOS223[38+37].wad

7. BBking83

Australia
    I just had a thought, maybe trucha signing IOS60 (cause you're on 4.1) might do something?

8. theomms
    OP

Newcomer theomms Member

United States
    ok. I installed DOP-IOS and ran it, but it told me there was a bad hash for IOS36 before resetting to the HBC

9. BBking83

Australia
    You have cIOS rev16 installed, right?

Just use Dop-IOS: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS/Dop-IOS_MOD and select IOS249 to start with, then reinstall IOS36 (latest) and has sig it.

10. theomms
    OP

Newcomer theomms Member

United States

haha, I really appreciate the all the responses, I haven't solved any of the problems yet, but I am moving toward a solution...

Here is what I have done after started this thread:

version 4.1u
    • installed checksign 0.3
    • I ran checksign several times and it kept freezing at IOS36
    • installed DOP-IOS
    • I ran DOP-IOS, but it told me there was a bad hash for IOS36 before resetting to the HBC
    Whats next:

Should I update to 4.2 to effectively start over?
    or should I try to reinstall IOS36?(IOS36 seems to be the problem in both DOP-IOS and Checksign)

11. BBking83

Australia
    Can you use Dop-IOS MOD and use IOS249?

12. razorback78

Member razorback78 GBAtemp Maniac

Philippines
    not really...i have my wbfs partition first and fat32 as my second partition. i could use wiiflow with no problems so far; though i really don't use it that much.

13. theomms
    OP

Newcomer theomms Member

United States
    Update:

Bad news.

I wasn't able to use DOP-IOS MOD with IOS249; instead I used wad manager using IOS249 to reinstall an official IOS36.wad...It worked, but after a restart, all of the programs in the HBC now go to a black screen when loaded(DOP-IOS, Wad manager, Wiiflow, etc.)

Worse yet when I load BannerBomb from the SD card it goes to a black screen.

So now it seems I am left with two choices:
    [*]Run a system update from the Wii system menu[*]run the nand from the HBC with GC controller
    Let me know what you guys think I should do...tomorrow (I dont have a GC controller)

14. BBking83

Australia
    I have a feeling that you don't have a cIOS installed or installed properly.

I supose you could try running the cIOS installer or TBR using Bannerbomb. Unless you are getting a blank screen, regardless of which app you use to run with Bannerbomb?

15. theomms
    OP

Newcomer theomms Member

United States

16. BBking83

Australia
    Whatever... For all I know you don't have a .dol in the root of your SD card.

Have you tried here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Bannerbomb#Guide

Step 6. Try other versions if it freezes.

Anyway, I'd update if I were you. You could NAND backup if you like...

17. theomms
    OP

Newcomer theomms Member

United States
    Thanks for all the advice so far BBking!

Basically, after I installed an official IOS36, all programs that I run from the HBC go to black screen. Also, when I run BannerBomb from the SD it goes to black screen as well (it was working before).

I have a NAND backup, but I don't have a GC controller...so it looks like I am gonna run the update to 4.2u in a few hours when I am home. Wish me luck!

Do any of you guys know which is the best/most current 4.2 soft mod tutorial?

18. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
  19. PHALLIUS

Newcomer PHALLIUS Member

United States
    You really need to let it update to 4.2u so that all the files are Kosher, then you follow the guide I posted.

20. theomms
    OP

Newcomer theomms Member

United States
    Update:
    • Upgraded to 4.2u
    • Followed the guide
    • everything works like a champ (HBC, usb loader gx, wad manager, DOP-IOS, etc...)

Thanks for all the advice! really helped!