Just got vista. How to purge?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by da_head, Dec 19, 2008.

Dec 19, 2008
  1. da_head
    OP

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    yep so i just got my laptop. can someone direct me to a site on how to fine tune vista? such as turning off useless services (such as windows defender), deleting unneccesary content (like extra languages and shit). thanks in advance.

2. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you've got the real, original install DVD for Vista than vLite is probably the easiest method for stripping out useless Windows services. vLite takes your existing Vista install DVD and creates a new slimed down version of it for you to install from.

http://www.vlite.net/

If all you've got is those stupid recovery CDs, than you might want to check out The PC Decrapifier. It helps you remove all of the stupid preinstalled junkware that companies like HP and Lenovo include on their systems.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

3. da_head
    OP

Canada
    i have neither O.O
    hp doesn't ship out recovery disks anymore. a part of the harddrive is partionned and labelled "recovery"

4. Foxle

United States
    Ah, your best shot is to just use the PC Decrapifier then. The whole notion of tweaking and modifying Windows down to the last process doesn't really apply anymore now that the OS has gotten so convoluted and "advanced". If you want total control over your OS, just install Linux, or go get a copy of XP. Vista isn't really that bad on new machines though, and it's what I usually use.

5. da_head
    OP

Canada
    i don't want total control, just turnin off the useless memory hogging features.

6. Foxle

United States
  7. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    you have 4 gigs so you should more or less be fine when it comes to speed and such. You can turn off the special affects such as aero but really in the end you should be fine. Does the computer come with vista home or premium

8. da_head
    OP

Canada
    vista home premium. and my comp is bilingual. how do i get rid of all the french shit?