Hacking Question Just got Switch for Christmas, think I got lucky. Quick question

TEKNOSYSTEKWRX

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, quick question. My awesome wife suprised me with a Switch for Christmas, and I believe if I'm reading things right it is a hackable unit. The serial number is XAW4001074XXXX. She bought it at Target yesterday, so I guess I'm lucky :) Anyway, what is the first thing I need to do? Do I need to order any hardware (jig? Mod chip?), I'm just now starting to research about the scene and it seems a bit overwhelming. I'm not a total newb, I've hacked just about every console I've owned (3DS, PSP, PS3, installed mod chips in Xbox & PS2. Had flash carts for my GBA since day one, etc...). I'm out of town visiting family for Christmas, so I don't have access to my PC and I'm not sure if I want to try and install CFW until I get home, but I would like to be able to use the Switch and play the Mario Odyssey cart on the plane ride home. Is it safe to start using the Switch? Should I just keep the Wi-Fi turned off until I get home and install CFW? Any other tips or things I should watch out for so I don't mess anything up and lose my chance to hack this thing? Thanks in advance

A

a9lh-1user

First read this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/rcm-payload-hekate-ctcaer-mod.502604/

Second read this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/backup-...-your-biskeys-tseckeys-keys-txt-guide.513386/ ATTENTION it may not be as actual as you need it! But it worth a read to understand what you need!

Third: the MOTHER of ALL CFW : https://gbatemp.net/threads/atmosphere-nx-custom-firmware-in-development-by-sciresm.496832/

Fourth: Another good CFW: https://gbatemp.net/threads/official-reinx-thread.512203/

READ ALL OF THAT VERY careful BEFORE you do anything!
MAKE A BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEFORE RUNNING CFW!!!!

Sorry to be the Capital letter person but don't get of the fun by making a mistake my friend ;)

Merry Christmas to you and your UNBELIEVABLE "girlfriend" (SORRY wife!) (i wish i got presents like that ;))

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Deleted User

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
To firstly run CFW you NEED either a pc or otg chip and your switch with right files on sd in order to push a payload (of your choice) of any CFW you want. At this moment you cant just "install" it indefinately like with psp or other consoles. For launching a cfw on nintendo switch you need:

1)a jig or a well made paperclip to shorten the right pins in order to get into recovery mode (the exploit itself)
2) when you are in rcm mode, you have to push a payload of your choice to run cfw (given the fact that you already have your cfw files on sd card)

Then you have two options - either install autorcm (in hekate), which will make you no longer need a jig to enter rcm, the switch will ALWAYS boot into rcm (on the first boot after a hard reset) and you will always need to push any payload to run a cfw; or EVERYTIME your switch is dead (out o battery, shutdown completly) you will have to insert a jig to enter rcm and push a payload again...

So i would suggest to wait a bit before you can access a pc and read a bit about "how to run cfw" stuff as the person above stated and dont rush it right away. Anyway you need something to push a payload with to run cfw - a pc, an otg chip or an android phone works tot.

Last edited by bad361,

TEKNOSYSTEKWRX

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I do have an OTG capable phone (Samsung S8+) and a usb-C cable with me, but like you said I don't know if I want to rush things. Maybe I will wait until I get home. But in the mean time, I should be safe to power it up and play my Mario cartridge on the plane as long as I never connect to the internet. Right?

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thanks. I do have an OTG capable phone (Samsung S8+) and a usb-C cable with me, but like you said I don't know if I want to rush things. Maybe I will wait until I get home. But in the mean time, I should be safe to power it up and play my Mario cartridge on the plane as long as I never connect to the internet. Right?
Yes

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
if you haven't run any cfw before on your switch, why would you be afraid of connecting to the intenet? With a clean switch running an OFW you can do whatever you want (since even the latest ofw is hackable). But when you will setup a cfw, thats when the things get tricky and random about bans and stuff..

Last edited by bad361,
Reactions: Uumas

TEKNOSYSTEKWRX

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you haven't run any cfw before on your switch, why would you be afraid of connecting to the intenet? With a clean switch running an OFW you can do whatever you want (since even the latest ofw is hackable). But when you will setup a cfw, thats when the things get tricky and random about bans and stuff..

Well, my main concern was connect online and having Nintendo install some sort of update that would make cfw impossible. But I'm glad hear that's not the case

A

a9lh-1user

You should think about to make a CLEAN backup from the FW.
That is BEFORE you did anything else after the first configuration of the Switch.
DON'T configure the WiFi settings ;)
Then make your BACKUP and you'l be as safe as you can.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country

FYI The s8+ comes with a OTG adaptor in the case. It's the bigger of the two adaptors in the box.

Reactions: TEKNOSYSTEKWRX

TEKNOSYSTEKWRX

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What firmware is it on?

You should think about to make a CLEAN backup from the FW.
That is BEFORE you did anything else after the first configuration of the Switch.
DON'T configure the WiFi settings ;)
Then make your BACKUP and you'l be as safe as you can.

I haven't touched any of the Wi-Fi settings. Just left it turned off. All I did was create a user name and play some Mario Odyssey. I have a jig ordered from Amazon that is arriving on Friday, so I'll do a nand backup then (unless I try the paperclip sooner )

Reactions: a9lh-1user

210modz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I haven't touched any of the Wi-Fi settings. Just left it turned off. All I did was create a user name and play some Mario Odyssey. I have a jig ordered from Amazon that is arriving on Friday, so I'll do a nand backup then (unless I try the paperclip sooner )

Don't shove a paperclip in your switch. People should never recommend that. Get a proper jig and not one that uses a paperclip unless you want to be replacing your joycon rails in the future. Look into getting a rebug SwitchME! Chip if you got soldering experience. It makes things so much more easy.

A

a9lh-1user

Nobody here told him to "shove a paperclip in your switch" !
As bad361 wrote: "1)a jig or a well made paperclip to shorten the right pins in order to get into recovery mode (the exploit itself)"
WELL MADE!

I used a Paperclip, that was "Well made", on 12 Switch until now. I used it very careful and none of those switch are broken.

And please don't say that ANY of the helpful person here wrote something like you wrote!

Sometimes it is better to write or say nothing! Should your Avatar person learn also ;)

Reactions: Deleted User

TEKNOSYSTEKWRX

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is the jig I ordered. Is this one going to buy ok for now? At least until I decide if I want to get the SX OS kit or some other payload injector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H5C5H52

Just so I know I'm on the right track, I can use the above jig along with my phone or PC to backup the nand, then install cfw. After that I can install homebrew/run backups? The SX OS is just a better cfw that is installed with a hardware dongle? And the NS Atmosphere Injector does the same thing I can do with my phone, it just makes it more convenient?

A

a9lh-1user

Yep it is a good Jig!
I can tell you that Atmosphere and ReiNX are very well made!
You don't need something like SX !
It will be more trouble in the feature than it will bring you on the right way!

All tools that have more than 2-4 features are bad in the long term ;)
Use one tool to do one thing ;)

That is a personal opinion!

P.S. only for better understanding i don't paid anything for my JIG!
I did it with this very well made "How To" and it worked like a charme: https://gbatemp.net/threads/paperclip-rcm-jig.502087/

Last edited by ,

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have this jig, it works well, you shouldn't meet any problem with it
Yep you can use the NS Atmosphere Injector, it's up to you, it's more convenient but doing it with your PC or your phone or whatever is the same
I would recommand to go for Atmosphere, free, the first to get updated (was the first to support 6.2 if I remember well, you can install themes if you want, whatever, it's just the best
You really got lucky on getting a hackable Switch, have fun !

Reactions: ZachyCatGames

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally wouldn't take it online if you know for sure you'll be running CFW eventually. What's the point? No good can come from it other than a few hours of Fortnite maybe? Yay?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)