Hacking Just got Supercard DSTwo in the mail Saturday...

aber

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...and wow. Just wow.

I just upgraded my lime green DSLite to the Mario 25th anniversary edition DSiXL, and had been using iTouch DS the better part of 3 years. It was fine for a while, nothing fancy, but it played nearly everything and I could find patches for what didn't, let me use homebrew, and worked well for my GBA games with the EZ 3-n-1 expansion cart. But updates have really started to slow, especially this fall. Jam with the Band, Super Scribblenauts, 999, Dark Sun, and several others have gone unaddressed, and patches for many of these titles never came. I bought 3 of these a few years ago, as they were a cheap solution to covering my wife, daughter and myself.

However I got more and more frustrated and decided it was time to upgrade both my DS and Flashcart. aI wanted the best available based on everything I'd read. I ordered my Supercard DSTwo here at Shoptemp.net and got my package in 17 days, not bad for coming from China during the beginning of the holiday season. While waiting, I setup my microSD with the software, plugins, etc. Luckily the movie player was released before I go mine, so that feature worked right away. The DSTwo has absolutely blown me away. Haven't had a game not work yet, including all the aforementioned titles that I couldn't load on the old iTouch. In addition, the movie player worked much better than I anticipated. The GBA emu is, for now, a step down from the experience I had with the DSLite and the 3-n-1 EZ expansion cart, it's still pretty good. Hopefully they can tweak it a bit more to get the frame rate smoothed out. The SNES emulator works pretty well, but will never work perfectly due to the resolution differences between the SNES and DS. I really like the real time save feature, and it works much better than the iTocu DS version. The in game guide awesome! I wish I had it when playing through DQV...would've saved me many trips to the PC to look at the FAQ.

I love this cart and it was worth every penny and more. Save yourself the trouble...don't go cheap...for all the features you get, and extra $10 or $20 for this one over all the cheap carts out there is well worth it.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want all the features sure, it's the best. But if you just want a cart that gets the job done and plays DS games, Acekard is more than fine.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it's why the dstwo is the best flash cart right now
acekard and others comes in a distant second

the experience for me is like having an ipod touch...full of features and apps
but carts like acekard, iedge or R4, etc is like a $20 MP3 player at walmart, it plays songs and that's it
which is fine for some people, but if you want a full DS flash cart experience, the dstwo is the only way to go, especially if you only have a dsi

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
For the emulators, I suggest you downgrade to version 1.25 of the GBA emulator so you can use game_config.txt (1.30 broke game_config.txt reading) and use BAG SFC v3 for the SNES emulator as it has a bunch of sound fixes (no more crackling sound on most games) and an extra speed option (cpu frequency 5) for those stubborn games such as mario allstars. Also, Pate is planning on releasing the first version of DSx86 for the DSTwo (DS2x86) that will run at 386/33 speeds before the new year if everything goes right. It won't have much if any 386 support (Windows 3.1/3.11, Doom, etc) for a while though.

aber

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ nl255

Thanks for the GBA emulation tip! I'll look into that. What's weird is that on some games, I get better results by changing the frame skip to manual and setting it to 0.

I am using BAG SFC for SNES. And you are right...it works much better than the default version.

@RoMee

Agreed on all points =)

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
nl255 said:
For the emulators, I suggest you downgrade to version 1.25 of the GBA emulator so you can use game_config.txt (1.30 broke game_config.txt reading)
Nice tip - I didn't know that (though I don't really play many GBA games) but got a link for it ??

DSTwo website only has v1.13, v1.21 and v1.3, Filetrip 'seems' to have 2 copies of v1.21, Supercard forum search show no results & a Google search doesn't show any v1.25
Or have you accidentally made a typo ??

cocoman29680

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Aber (and all other users).

I have just registered and looking for some info found your post.

I have a 25th anniversary DSi XL + a SCDS2 waiting for my daughter, console still in the box, as Xmas gift.

Reading several forums and looking for "content" for the card I found this post at the official SC forum: SC Site Forum reporting some problems with this specific DSi XL edition and SCDS2.

This made me think I purchased the wrong console. I have been looking for extra info on this 25th anniversary DSi XL + SCDS2 problem, but found nothing else. I still have the change to change it for a regular XL.

Then I read your post and see that you are using the same combination. Could, please, comment if you had any problem?

Best regards and thanks in advance.

Cocoman

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
nl255 said:
For the emulators, I suggest you downgrade to version 1.25 of the GBA emulator so you can use game_config.txt (1.30 broke game_config.txt reading)
Nice tip - I didn't know that (though I don't really play many GBA games) but got a link for it ??

DSTwo website only has v1.13, v1.21 and v1.3, Filetrip 'seems' to have 2 copies of v1.21, Supercard forum search show no results & a Google search doesn't show any v1.25
Or have you accidentally made a typo ??
There is no 1.25, the latest that works with the gameconfig is 1.21

aber

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ cocoman29680

I've had no problems whatsoever using the Supercard DSTwo with my new DSiXL (the newer red Mario 25th anniversary version). The cart works like a dream, with all NDS games loading without any problems, and I've detected no speed issues with the games (which I believe would be a microSD card issue anyway). I also use several emulators (nesDS, jenesisDS, lameboy, nitrografx, and apprenticeminus) and all those work well, too. Movies/Music also play great with the iPlayer. I also upgraded the firmware on the DSiXL to 1.4.1 and just made sure I had the latest firmware installed. Very easy to setup.

I couldn't be happier with it. Looking at the post you linked, it seems to me that the issue they are having is related to the firmware for the cart not being setup properly or they were using DSiXL firmware 1.4.1 with the older Superxard firmware that was only compatible to 1.4.0.

cocoman29680

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi again Aber and other members.

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Searching more in depth last night for older posts related to DS2 I found a couple of users with the same combination with no problems (at least not same problem). So it implied DS2 + XL 25th Anniv. Mario edition worked fine.

Getting back to the post and Forum I commented, you can find updates there where they comment that that DS2 does not work either on a regular "old" DS, so it must be the card itself which is malfunctioning (or bad files setup, as you comment).

Your feedback makes me happy. Let's see my daughter's face tonight opening ths box, and wait what happens when I plug the card on.

Thanks for all, and Happy Xmas for everybody from Spain.

Best wishes,

Cocoman

Chubbo1793

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aber said:
@ cocoman29680

I've had no problems whatsoever using the Supercard DSTwo with my new DSiXL (the newer red Mario 25th anniversary version). The cart works like a dream, with all NDS games loading without any problems, and I've detected no speed issues with the games (which I believe would be a microSD card issue anyway). I also use several emulators (nesDS, jenesisDS, lameboy, nitrografx, and apprenticeminus) and all those work well, too. Movies/Music also play great with the iPlayer. I also upgraded the firmware on the DSiXL to 1.4.1 and just made sure I had the latest firmware installed. Very easy to setup.

I couldn't be happier with it. Looking at the post you linked, it seems to me that the issue they are having is related to the firmware for the cart not being setup properly or they were using DSiXL firmware 1.4.1 with the older Superxard firmware that was only compatible to 1.4.0.
Be careful using nesDS on your DSiXL. I've heard that it can burn random numbers onto the screen, according to several files on FileTrip and on parts of the forum. Good luck with the DSTWO and happy holidays.

aber

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip...while I've not had any problems using nesDS with the DSI XL and the SCDS2...why take a chance? NES emulation is nice to have...but not at the expense of the hardware itself.

I think I'll avoid using it.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just to let you know, the nesDS burn-in is not very serious, and it's not even exclusive to the emulator. It can even happen in actual DS games, although I'm pretty sure it's fairly rare. The reason why people complain about nesDS so much is because many NES games have static numbers that stay on the screen while you're playing.

And even if it does happen to you, there's Spinal's "GhostBuster" app that will clear the screen of any burn in. Just run it on your DS for 30 or so minutes, and it should go away.

cocoman29680

Trophies
XP
Country
Merry Xmas for all forumers (is this word right in English?)

Just a message to confirm that all works fine with my DS2 + DSi XL 25th Anniv. Mario combination.

In fact I only tried with native DS games, I am not sure when I will try with GBA or NES games.

Thanks for your advices.

Best regards,

Cocoman

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cocoman29680 said:
Merry Xmas for all forumers (is this word right in English?)

Just a message to confirm that all works fine with my DS2 + DSi XL 25th Anniv. Mario combination.

In fact I only tried with native DS games, I am not sure when I will try with GBA or NES games.

Thanks for your advices.

Best regards,

Cocoman
It's advice, not advices [/grammar nazi]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: