Hacking Just got N3DSXL on 9.6... Should i update to latest fw then hack it or not

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I have a brand new, N3DSXL on 9.6. Should i hack it first, then update, or the other way round? - Any specific ways for me to find out if i have IPS screens also?

Reactions: x65943

Frank1905

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, better keeping that on 9.6
Else, if you will unmod your 3ds and then mod it again you will need to follow the seedminer method that requires you to spend 2usd at least to buy a dsi software from the eshop

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I agree, mod it on 9.6 (and do a NAND backup as soon as possible = when boot9strap is installed use GodMode9 to backup it). I advise to avoid updating to 11.8 (updating the standard way will provide it). For me, best thing to do is to update manually to 11.7 (no new security checks included on 11.8). Some are doing it using sysupdater (did not worked here, just bricked NAND but I restored it using backup made with GodMode9), others are doing it using CTRTransfer (what I made) but I didn't found any CTRTransfer file for 11.7 I did it myself using another hacked console. CTRTransfer can include a NNID on it so you can delete it using GodMode9 (a specific script from Plailect's guide is included).

Frank1905

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I agree, mod it on 9.6 (and do a NAND backup as soon as possible = when boot9strap is installed use GodMode9 to backup it). I advise to avoid updating to 11.8 (updating the standard way will provide it). For me, best thing to do is to update manually to 11.7 (no new security checks included on 11.8). Some are doing it using sysupdater (did not worked here, just bricked NAND but I restored it using backup made with GodMode9), others are doing it using CTRTransfer (what I made) but I didn't found any CTRTransfer file for 11.7 I did it myself using another hacked console. CTRTransfer can include a NNID on it so you can delete it using GodMode9 (a specific script from Plailect's guide is included).
Aren't security checks made server-side? In fact freeshop and other stuff like that is not working anymore also on old fws.

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
freeShop v4.1.3 is working fine on a N2DSXL @11.7 with Luma3DS v9.1. Since title keys website is having a DNS issue, entering URL isn't working but downloading encTitlesKeys.bin and pasting it on SD is working (placed on SD:3ds/data/freeshop/keys/).

Seems like it's firmware linked:

Edit : Ah and I forgot concerning my previous message, some update using gamecart too.

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Frank1905

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
freeShop v4.1.3 is working fine on a N2DSXL @11.7 with Luma3DS v9.1. Since title keys website is having a DNS issue, entering URL isn't working but downloading encTitlesKeys.bin and pasting it on SD is working (placed on SD:3ds/data/freeshop/keys/).

Seems like it's firmware linked: https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1024327784892530689

Edit : Ah and I forgot concerning my previous message, some update using gamecart too.
I knew that many Nintendo games are no more downloadable. Third party games can be downloaded, but not games like Pokémon I think.

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know where you had such an information but I can confirm it works even with Nintendo games (MK7 some days ago and just tested Ultra Sun right now to confirm...)

Last edited by Kleyon,

Frank1905

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't know where you had such an information but I can confirm it works even with Nintendo games (MK7 some days ago and just tested Ultra Sun right now to confirm...)
Nevermind,
I didn't know it :)

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any specific ways for me to find out if i have IPS screens also?

Imo, and in that of plenty of others, IPS screens are not "better". The only benefit they have is wider viewig angles, but who plays their 3DS at weird extreme angles? The IPS screens suffer from multiplexing/scanline issues and significantly crushed black levels.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if you have a flashcart you can even update and then hack
flashcarts only cost around 20-30 dollars
First of all, an ntrboot capable flashcard costs like 5-7 dollars. Then again, if he's on 9.6 that's a waste of money since he can just do it for free with soundhax.
I did my friend's console with soundhax a while ago and it worked first try.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soundhax worked perfect thanks guys, I have done everything bar update past 9.6. I followed the 3ds guide for soundhax. Shall I update officially to 11.8? Can I do it normally or not. Plus, both screens are TN. I managed to get the console brand new for £85 GBP. So not too fussed either way

Frank1905

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Soundhax worked perfect thanks guys, I have done everything bar update past 9.6. I followed the 3ds guide for soundhax. Shall I update officially to 11.8? Can I do it normally or not. Plus, both screens are TN. I managed to get the console brand new for £85 GBP. So not too fussed either way
If you want to update you can do it normally (check if u have the latest luma3ds version before).
If you update to 11.8 and then you unmod your 3ds, then you'll have to pay for a dsiware game from the eshop to mod it again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1