Hacking Just got my supercard DS & R4 DS

marblearch111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My supercard arrived yesterday, my R4 arrived today, im gonna try do a review/comparison, im not very good but i'll try. i havent been playing with it as much but based on 1st impressions

supercard $50 RHS

it came boxed, with nothing else inside, no manual and no cd. the quality of the build was ok, the plastic did look a bit cheap and slotted in perfect into the slot 1, however when trying to remove it from the DS, i had a some difficulty, i had to really push it in hard for the spring to release the ds cart (several attempts aswel), and it will always be like this, becuase of the build, i dont think it is a major problem, i really only think it happens to my unit only. the micro sd slot is spring loaded aswel and this seems to work perfect, because it is spring loaded you can remove the micro sd, without having to take out the supercard DS from your DS. i download the OS and drag it into the root, and also some roms (castlevania por, tony hawks dj, new mario). after turning it on, it booted to a error message and then to the GUI. i was very impressed with the Gui, it was clear & bright, touch screen, easy to navigate, and it looked good. but when trying to play the roms the problem started, i only tested the game to see if the games runs.

1st was new mario, this runs perfect

2nd was castlevani por, i had problems with this straight away as i didnt no the save type, so i had to go through them all, eventually found the correct one and game loaded, i only tried for 10 minutes but it worked ok

3rd was tony hawks DJ, i never got this running at all, i tried all save types, all speeds

these tested were done with clean roms (drop & drag), none were patched, i would of tested more but i didnt like the idea of having to manually set save type, this would of takes ages, this slot 1 card seems ok, but that was until i tried the R4.

Sometimes navigating would be a problem within the GUI, Example - when a game is highlighted and the game sav type would need to be changed , i would touch the SAVE icon which is on top of the screen to try and change it, but most of the time, instead of opening up the save menu, (actually i think all the time) it would boot up the game, whcih means i have to power off & on again to try a manually set the sav type again, maybe after a while you could get use to it.

R4 DS $40 Gameyeeah

packaging was very nice, inside was micro sd reader, cd, R4 itself which was inside a card holder. also inside the card holder was, to my suprise a black/grey replacement shell (i thought they accident put another R4 in there at first), so if you have a black DS you can replace. i inserted the cd to see what it contained, it had everthing, trimming tools, operating system, skins, very easy instructions, and a software which was called M3 G6 Supercard Save convert, im pretty sure this will come in handy for many

build quality, was much more superior to supecard ds, the plastic used look to be better quality than SC and it felt very solid, it fitted perfect, and it easy to remove from DS, micro sd slot was spring loaded aswel, again worked perfect.

after copying os and roms to micro sd (drop & drag, clean roms), i turned on and it booted to GUI, roms and everyything were listed as a list, it had touch screen, but when navigating files you would have to use dpad (list appered on top screen, when a rom is highlighted icons & info appear on touch screen), and you can select by stylus, or pressing A . the main sceen GUI looked good but when navigating through files the list menu didnt look that good, it looked rather plain, and the colour just look rather dull.

games i tested were tony hawks, castlevania POR & DOR, final fantasy 3, mario kart, ultimate spiderman,

when you select rom, it will automatically seacrh for sav file, if one aint present, it will create one for you. again, i only tested to see it roms work

1, mario kart, runs perfect
2. ultimate spiderman, runs perfect, u can even watch intro
3. castlevania dor , runs perfect, no lag on intro
4. tony hawks DJ, works perfect
5. castlevania por - runs perfect (again only tested for 10 minutes), pause, and intro fine
6. ff3, runs perfect
7. web browser works ( i have the officail expansion pak)

test were only done to see if games work, and they do perfect , sleep mode works aswel. to be honest i dont really know what download play is, and i dont have wi fi net

I havent tested any homebrew because i never use any

I think the main difference between the R4 & SCDS, is that the SC uses a modified version of moonshell to run, the R4 has moonshell integrated but this is only for media, it has its own system for roms.

i was dissapointted with the supercard, i expected more, the GUI was probably the best feature of this card, i ended up puting this on ebay, i managed to sell it for £50, but aint been paid yet.

i was very impressed with R4, after hearing bad comments about supercard, i took the risk of buying it, this was a new company, but at that price you couldnt go wrong. i trust supercard to fixes the sav problems soon, but for me the R4 was perfect for what i wanted to do (play roms & Drop & drag) setting it up was as easy as abc, that fact that it detects sav type makes this much easier to use, u could give it to a child and they will have no problems using it (as long as you have OS and ROMs on there anyone can use it)

i paid just under £25 (when added to cart & shipping, it would appear as roughly £27, but after $ to £ by paypal it would be cheaper) for this and delivery to UK, R4 from www.gameyeeeah.com, they are shipped from Hong kong, but shipping was quick, i bought on 20th, i think it was shipped 22nd december and it arrived today, and i paid for the cheapest delivery and estimated delivery was 12-18 days.

supercard ds cost me £31 again with cheapest delivery from www.realhotstuff.com, it took about 10 days to arrive.

i would strongly recommend R4, i believe the supercard will come with updates soon and will be a good card soon, but for now its the R4, the fact that you get a card reader, replacement shell, cd with all the softwares, and card holder, it works and fucntions much bettr and that fact that it is cheaper, the only negative i can think of, IMO is the GUI, i would of liked to be able to navigate through the list of roms using the stylus instead of the Dpad, also the colour scheme. i havent tried other skins yet, maybe when i do it would look much nicer

i dont know how to host pictures so i please follow link and download ths file which contains, picutres, i dont have a digital camera so i used my mobile phone (1.3 mp)

this is based on my findings & opinions, i've had them for less than 24 hrs,

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ADP3B122

Some more pictures, this is with a slightly better camera phone

http://rapidshare.com/files/9390837/SC___R4.rar.html

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nice comparison, the R4 seems like a great flashcard. i have two questions?

how does the R4 run with homebrew?

Do media files run well on the R4?

marblearch111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have never tried any homebrew, i prefer using psp for that, as for media it uses moonshell, i copied an mp3 to the root and it played fine (1st time iv ever played an mp3 on DS), Gameyeeah is recommended by this site on the homepage, check on the left, it arrive quick, i mailed them a few times about tracking no., didnt get a reply until chrismas day, i was told i wont get a tracking for airmail, but i had to sign for it today

ambitous21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just like to say thanks for posting this all up!

and i'm kinda sad to hear supercard ds not doing so well currently.. since i already ordered it lol

marblearch111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes its in english, the Gameyeeeah version anyway, even the instructions on the cd were english, supercard is not that bad, the menu & GUI looked much nicer, but i really had difficulties finding out the sav type, the R4 knew what it was, it was cheaper and had more stuff. i use to have a supercard lite, and i would say at the moment the supercard lite was much better supercard DS, even though you had to patch roms, but supercard team always comes up with update, it will eventually be a better card, i think the only problem is the sav. I sold the SC one, and just been paid, sold it for £50 (roughly $93) on ebay just now, so made a little profit. as i said in the review i only tested to see if games run, as the other features are not important to me, they run perfect so far, i've only tested games with known problems.

Download play & Wifi has NOT been tested, if your unsure wait for GBAtemp review

I will post more pictures soon, my brother has a 2mp camera phone

shin-obi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lets say you were to buy an R4 without a SD card. Would you be able to use it as a passcard to access slot2?

shin-obi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lets say you were to buy an R4 without a SD card. Would you be able to use it as a passcard to access slot2?

i dont really know as i no longer have a slot 2, all i know is when booting up with micro sd in with OS on it, the main menu has 3 icons for you to selct, GAMES, MULTIMEDIA and BOOT SLOT 2

Ah, ok. And when you don't have a sd card inserted you don't get those options?

Reason I'm wondering is my girlfriend bought me a lite for christmas (non-flashed) and I want to be able to use my ewin2 until I can afford to buy a decent micro sd card for the R4.

marblearch111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

i dont really know as i no longer have a slot 2, all i know is when booting up with micro sd in with OS on it, the main menu has 3 icons for you to selct, GAMES, MULTIMEDIA and BOOT SLOT 2

Ah, ok. And when you don't have a sd card inserted you don't get those options?

Reason I'm wondering is my girlfriend bought me a lite for christmas (non-flashed) and I want to be able to use my ewin2 until I can afford to buy a decent micro sd card for the R4.

no you dont get those options because those options are in the OS.

shonosuke

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The supercard will be better in the long run
The r4 just changed firmware before it shipped to everywhere so It works with every ds game out now
The supercard firmware was made before PoR so it needs to get upgraded

Kalonjii

Trophies
XP
Country
The r4 just changed firmware before it shipped to everywhere so It works with every ds game out now

What about having to choose SAVE SIZE & SPEED manually? Will that change? If it doesn't I can't see how the supercard will be "better in the long run" ...

marblearch111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

What about having to choose SAVE SIZE & SPEED manually? Will that change? If it doesn't I can't see how the supercard will be "better in the long run" ...

i think they will eventually get it fixed, the OS on my R4 is v1.00, V1.03 is suppose to be out but i cant find a Downoad link on there site.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
the website has been having problems lately do to earthquake last week

Mh, some underwater cables were damaged. Interestingly, if I use my other connection (provided by a different ISP than the one which provides my regular service) it works just fine, so I s'pose it has to do with what operators your ISP peers with.

kenfrenzy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

The new version 1.1 firmware for supercard DS auto detects speed, and their new save size list is now all correct. Newer games may still need a manual change, but you only have to do it once.

It does look like R4 is a great cart, but supercard isnt' bad either... you can at least give the supercard team credit for fixing most of the issues from the first reviews within a week of release. Oh and I didn't have any problems with the physical card itself either. It ejects just like a normal cart for me.

That said, it looks like a good time for consumers who now have a bigger variety of cards to choose from that all perform well and are relatively cheaper than previous solutions.

marblearch111

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.