Hacking Just got my son a DSI, couple of easy questions

mrwienerdog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, like the topic says, I just got my son a DSI for his birthday. My wife and I both have regular old NDS's with Acekard 2.1. So here are my questions:

1. Not sure what firmware his machine shipped with (haven't charged the battery yet), but what is the safest f/w that is okay with AKAIO 1.71? I assume that it is AKAIO that I use?
2. How does the machine update? I will never hook it up to wireless, so I'm not concerned about that. Do the games force updates? Will I be prompted so I can decline?

I think that's it. I'm sure if I searched I could find these answers, but as with most of my questions, you guys always seem helpful, and that in turn saves me a lot of time. Time I don't seem to have to exhaustively search for answers.

So......Thanks in advance for any help. It is appreciated.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if the acekard 2.1 is the same as the acekard 2i wich is what you will need for a dsi.
on the matter of it updating , it will only update if you click the buttons and make it update.. check the system menu thing for the firm version.

mrwienerdog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry, I meant A/K 2i. That is what I have for his. I have the 2.1. Got all befuckticated and confused. Old. Me.

mylitomutalisk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you recently bought the DSi, chances are its on the latest firmware..which is bad, since acekard 2i must be patched to run on fw 1.4E and above. The current FW version is 4.XX ( I dunno it, I haven't ever updated my dsi)

The DSi's FW is only updated through wifi.

If you need help on patching the acekard so it works on 1.4 fw and above read this guide :

http://dsi-xl.org/2009/08/28/the-complete-...1-4u-1-4a-1-4x/

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you'll need a DSi compatible flash cart to use with the DSi system. the acekard 2.1 will not work with it. additionally, with the acekard 2i, you may need to run an update (which you can easily do on one of your DS lite systems) so that it will work with the DSi system (any DSi with a firmware version 1.4.1 or high requires that you "patch" the cartridge so that it works). after you patch it, definately grab AIAIO 1.7.1 (or 1.8 when it becomes available) for the best compatibility.

you won't have to worry about updates via cartridges. nintendo hasn't done anything like that so far, and unless you set it up for use via wi-fi you won't have to worry about any other updates as well. most of the updates that nintendo has been pushing out for the DSi have to do with features and enhancements with their store shop and the DSiware titles.

I hope that answers your questions
smile.gif

mrwienerdog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for all the help so far...Will post any possible questions in regards to the patching of the card.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I think you are kind of mixing together two different things. For flashcarts, the main idea is that there is the firmware which is used to get the flashcart to work on a DSPhat/DSL/DSi and then there is the kernel (which many people call the firmware, but technically it is the OS or kernel) such as AKAIO.

The latest DSi firmware is 1.4.1 (or 1.4.2 for China) and the firmware update allowing the AK2i to work on the DSi is available from this guide: http://gbatemp.net/t218103-updated-n00b-gu...up-your-acekard

As AKAIO is a kernel/OS it works for whatever AK products it claims to support (AK2i and AK2) and so long as the firmware on the AK2i has been updated, AKAIO will be able to run on the firmware that the update claims to fix.

The DSi asks if you want to update and it is not mandatory to update unless you want to visit the DSi store (and maybe some other online stuff...). I'm pretty sure none of the DSi games force an update to play.

-edit-
lol I got ninja'd by so many posts.

mrwienerdog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for having my back there tk_saturn. I'm too old to fight (like Miyagi). Anyways, thanks to all of you for your input, I have everything finished and ready for his birthday tomorrow. Yayyy!!!

Thanks again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1