Hacking Just got my G6 Lite :-)

jmos1277

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my first post, but I've been reading these forums for a few weeks now. Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great information.

I ordered my G6 Lite from Winsunx around June 21st and just got it this morning. I was a little disappointed when I opened the package because I only received the white cartridge cases (both NDS and GBA size). When I originally ordered it, their web site said I would also get an enamel navy case ... which I really wanted, since I have an enamel navy DS. So if anyone in the states happens to get an enamel navy case ... but needs a white case ... let me know ... maybe we can work out a trade
wink.gif

Anyhow, besides having the only the white case, the G6 Lite itself is great. I bought a Passcard 3 with it, and was playing my first game on it in less than 5 minutes (that includes tearing through the layers of packing tape that Winsunx encased my package in).

I'm sure most of your questions regarding the G6 Lite have been already been answered by other posters. However, seeing as how there are only a few people on these boards that seem to have a G6 Lite yet, feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer. Keep in mind that the G6 Lite is my first flashcart ... and I've only had my DS for a few weeks, so I may not know all the lingo.

styrofoam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Congrats! Hearing all these good things about the G6 lite is really tempting me to buy it, but I just have a few questions. You said you were new to the whole flashcart scene (so am I
wink2.gif
) so I was wondering was there much of a learning curve? Was the Passcard 3 really as easy as 'plug & play'? Um I can't think of anything else to ask, that's pretty much it.

Thanks in advance!

Btw hope ya get your colour problem fixed.

jmos1277

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congrats! Hearing all these good things about the G6 lite is really tempting me to buy it, but I just have a few questions. You said you were new to the whole flashcart scene (so am IÂ
wink2.gif
) so I was wondering was there much of a learning curve? Was the Passcard 3 really as easy as 'plug & play'? Um I can't think of anything else to ask, that's pretty much it.

Thanks in advance!

Btw hope ya get your colour problem fixed.

Actually, there is really almost no learning curve at all. When I got my G6, I installed the software, plugged my G6 Lite into my USB port and starting copying games onto it. It's just as easy as using iTunes to load up an iPod.

Once, I had what I wanted on my G6 ... I plugged it into my DS ... plugged in my Passcard 3 ... and booted right into the G6 menu. Once the menu is loaded, there is a nice touch screen interface for selecting your games.

Of course, you CAN do more complex things with it if you choose to ... such as running NES, SMS, etc. emulators. But if you plan to stick to NDS and GBA games ... it couldn't be any simpler.

kernelPANIC

Trophies
Website
www.kanjiswipe.com
XP
Country
Japan
Quick question (since I'm kinda new myself to the NDS flashcart world):
Do you have to perform some sort of patching operation to the rom files before flashing/transfering them to the G6 Lite?

jmos1277

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question (since I'm kinda new myself to the NDS flashcart world):
Do you have to perform some sort of patching operation to the rom files before flashing/transfering them to the G6 Lite?

As outphase said, moving files onto the G6 with the software works great. I didn't have to make any changes to my rom files.
I have NOT yet tried moving files onto the G6 without the software yet... so I'm not sure if you have to do anything special for that to work.

jmos1277

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So just in case anyone is interested. I've tried out a whole slew of different things. Some were successful, some were not.

The G6 Lite client software allows you to add files with a variety of extensions (.nds, .gba, .nes, .sms, .pce, .gg, ...) and some others that I can't remember right now.

Using the software I was able to copy over .nds, .gba, and .nes files successfully (all of which were actually in zip files, but the client software doesn't care). All of these worked flawlessly. It appears that the G6 client software actually has PocketNES built into it ... so you just specify a bunch of .nes files and the G6 client software will run the necessary MenuMaker program and load the files onto the flashcart. I was able to successfully load .nes files onto the cart manually using pocketNES and MenuMaker.

I was NOT successful at getting .sms, or .pce games working. I tried adding them through the client software just as I had with the .nes roms but it didn't work. With the .sms games it appears that the G6 software loads up an emulator called Dr.SMS ... but when I run the .sms files on my DS ... I get the splash screen for Dr.SMS but the game grapics are all garbled. When I tried .pce games ... all I got was a white screen.

Oh ... I also tried manually loading .smc files onto the card using the SNES_DS emulator ... but couldn't get that to work either.

PLEASE remember that I'm totally brand new to this stuff ... so some of this stuff not working could simply be (and most likely is) user error. Don't take anything that I've said and think it is a flaw with the G6 ... because it's more likely a flaw with me ... and me not knowing what the heck I'm doing.

I might do some more experimenting tonight if I can find the time (and if I can get my wife off of Nintendogs). If anyone knows more about any of the stuff that I couldn't get working and has some suggestions ... I'd be glad to try them out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)