Hacking Just got my Acekard2i in the mail today

Taellon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And it's not working. I followed the start-up guide on here, put all the right files on the SD card, and then booted up my DSL(Don't have a DSi yet) to do the 1.4 fixing thing. Loaded the program fine, did the update, and then I turned off the DS like it said to after the update was finished. Now when I try to use the acekard, it doesn't start up. The DS just thinks there is no game card. I've tried reformatting the microSD card and doing the process all over again but it just refuses to load. I've confirmed that it's not a clone device either and the Akaio worked the first time to update but now nothing loads. I even tried that "paper trick" that I saw mentioned in a few topics and it still won't work. I tried putting my R4 in and that boots just like normal, but the Acekard2i won't boot at all.

Anybody able to help me here? I'm getting really frustrated with this thing and right now it's looking like I just wasted my money on a piece of garbage.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taellon said:
And it's not working. I followed the start-up guide on here, put all the right files on the SD card, and then booted up my DSL(Don't have a DSi yet) to do the 1.4 fixing thing. Loaded the program fine, did the update, and then I turned off the DS like it said to after the update was finished. Now when I try to use the acekard, it doesn't start up. The DS just thinks there is no game card. I've tried reformatting the microSD card and doing the process all over again but it just refuses to load. I've confirmed that it's not a clone device either and the Akaio worked the first time to update but now nothing loads. I even tried that "paper trick" that I saw mentioned in a few topics and it still won't work. I tried putting my R4 in and that boots just like normal, but the Acekard2i won't boot at all.

Anybody able to help me here? I'm getting really frustrated with this thing and right now it's looking like I just wasted my money on a piece of garbage.

Blow lightly into the Acekard 2i's Micro Sd Card Hole?

Or

Push The Micro Sd Card Hard Into The Acekard 2i's Micro Sd Card hole? (Not hard enough to break it)

(Sometimes my Acekard 2i doesn't boot up right then I do the following, and it reads it. The problem you describe may be resulted from no contact from the Micro Sd Card, to the Acekard 2i itself.)

Taellon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Still doesn't seem to be working. It's Springloaded so it's kind of hard to push it down far and the SD card doesn't even wiggle if I try to move it.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darn. I read the thread wrong. I thought you had issues booting up, while starting up the Acekard 2i. Your current situation, is probably a bad update. Did you lose power, or something while updating? Or did you use the DSI update .nds file?

Taellon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had continuous power for the full update, and I am sure I used the DSL updater instead of the DSi one. Any idea how to possibly fix it if there was an updating problem?

eXT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that an update is necessary if you are running Acekard on a DS lite. I'm using Akaio, and I didn't do the update/patch, because I too have a DS lite. Mine works fine.

Just a suggestion, most likely wrong.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You should have used the DSi file, not the DSL one.

You Acekard is likely to be either dead, or it's not making contact with the DS.

First give the contacts on the Acekard a clean, then have a look inside the slot-1 on your DS with a torch. If it's full of debris, give the inside of the slot-1 on your DS a clean. Becareful not to bend the contacts.

dscon.jpg

If that still doesn't work, see if the Acekard is loose in the slot, if it is slide a piece of paper behind the acekard (sticker side) as you insert it.

If that still doesn't work have a look at the contacts on your Acekard, these are 2 of mine for you to compare it to:

IMG_3152.jpg

One of mine for example you can see the top cart has lower contacts than the other, and on the bottom cart you can see the contacts are too far to the left.

If the contacts are low, It's easily fixed by sliding something non-conductive underneath the PCB. You can pull the PCB up with your nail so you can slide something underneath.

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3219.JPG

It's not shown in the photo, but I cut opposite corners of the piece of plastic to slide it under ie the top left corner and the bottom right corner, it helps to angle it in. Afterwards you could visibly see the PCB was higher in the cart.

It's not the MicroSD, it will still detect the AK without one in.

If it still doesn't work, follow my guide here and follow the instructons for unbricking an Acekard, use your R4 to launch the updater. Download the update file again as the thread sticked up the top uses the wrong one, using the old files are unlikely to have caused the issue but you should use the updated files just in case.

Taellon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay I followed the unbricking guide and it's working perfectly now. Thank you so much. And thanks to the other people that tried to help me as well.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn, your innovative paper trick is pure genius. Now I don't have to cover up the shiny Acekard sticker, and plus I think your method is a lot more reliable.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
tk_saturn, your innovative paper trick is pure genius. Now I don't have to cover up the shiny Acekard sticker, and plus I think your method is a lot more reliable.
Hey, thanks!

The paper trick is only really usefull if the Acekard is loose if the slot, you can use all the layers of paper want but sometimes it won't work because the PCB is low in the cart. The grey plastic of the shell to the sides of the contacts will stop the cart from going back any further in the cart slot.

joe_gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
DeMoN said:
Hey, thanks!

The paper trick is only really usefull if the Acekard is loose if the slot, you can use all the layers of paper want but sometimes it won't work because the PCB is low in the cart. The grey plastic of the shell to the sides of the contacts will stop the cart from going back any further in the cart slot.

thanks for the pics!!

you know if it's possible to use a original R4 shell with the 2i board? I got some extras when R4 used to give extra shells with their carts...

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
joe_gamer said:
thanks for the pics!!

you know if it's possible to use a original R4 shell with the 2i board? I got some extras when R4 used to give extra shells with their carts...
Some has posted a picture of the currently shipping Acekard 2i PCB,

QUOTE(Atashi @ Mar 28 2010, 09:59 PM) I have an Acekard 2i with the new / non-Actel chip.

HW: 81 SVN: 824

Not sure if you'd call it a yellow PCB or black - the fiberglass board itself is yellow, but most of it is covered by black silkscreen.

ak2i.jpg

-Atashi

Compare the layout to your R4 cart, and it should give you a better idea.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
joe_gamer said:
thanks for the pics!!

Some has posted a picture of the currently shipping Acekard 2i PCB,

QUOTE(Atashi @ Mar 28 2010, 09:59 PM) I have an Acekard 2i with the new / non-Actel chip.

HW: 81 SVN: 824

Not sure if you'd call it a yellow PCB or black - the fiberglass board itself is yellow, but most of it is covered by black silkscreen.

ak2i.jpg

-Atashi

Compare the layout to your R4 cart, and it should give you a better idea.
I rather doubt it...

From the looks of it, AceKards have straight sides, and R4's have notches.
Also, R4's have a screw post in the case and a hole in the card which AK's dont.

Here's what I mean:
RED = Not on R4's
BLUE = Extra on R4's
dVrrO.png

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rockstar said:
My acekard works without the paper trick, should I still use it to be safe?
Well if it's too tight, then I believe the contacts might get scratched more easily. I'd say only do it if you encounter a random freeze that was not caused by a glitch in the game.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
Rockstar said:
My acekard works without the paper trick, should I still use it to be safe?
Well if it's too tight, then I believe the contacts might get scratched more easily. I'd say only do it if you encounter a random freeze that was not caused by a glitch in the game.
I agree.

If you use the paper trick on an Acekard which is already in contact with the DS cart slot contacts, using the paper trick could push the pins back. This could mean you then have to use the paper trick with every cart including retail carts.

I used the sliding under trick on one of mine which was working fine, but I could visibly see the PCB was low and didn't want further hassles as it a gift for one of my nieces.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: you could say it fell out.