Just got my Acekard2i in the mail today

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Taellon, Apr 1, 2010.

Apr 1, 2010
  1. Taellon
    OP

Member Taellon GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    And it's not working. I followed the start-up guide on here, put all the right files on the SD card, and then booted up my DSL(Don't have a DSi yet) to do the 1.4 fixing thing. Loaded the program fine, did the update, and then I turned off the DS like it said to after the update was finished. Now when I try to use the acekard, it doesn't start up. The DS just thinks there is no game card. I've tried reformatting the microSD card and doing the process all over again but it just refuses to load. I've confirmed that it's not a clone device either and the Akaio worked the first time to update but now nothing loads. I even tried that "paper trick" that I saw mentioned in a few topics and it still won't work. I tried putting my R4 in and that boots just like normal, but the Acekard2i won't boot at all.

Anybody able to help me here? I'm getting really frustrated with this thing and right now it's looking like I just wasted my money on a piece of garbage.

2. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Blow lightly into the Acekard 2i's Micro Sd Card Hole?

Or

Push The Micro Sd Card Hard Into The Acekard 2i's Micro Sd Card hole? (Not hard enough to break it)

(Sometimes my Acekard 2i doesn't boot up right then I do the following, and it reads it. The problem you describe may be resulted from no contact from the Micro Sd Card, to the Acekard 2i itself.)

3. Taellon
    OP

Canada
    Still doesn't seem to be working. It's Springloaded so it's kind of hard to push it down far and the SD card doesn't even wiggle if I try to move it.

4. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Darn. I read the thread wrong. I thought you had issues booting up, while starting up the Acekard 2i. Your current situation, is probably a bad update. Did you lose power, or something while updating? Or did you use the DSI update .nds file?

5. Taellon
    OP

Canada
    I had continuous power for the full update, and I am sure I used the DSL updater instead of the DSi one. Any idea how to possibly fix it if there was an updating problem?

6. eXT

Newcomer eXT Newbie

United States
    I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that an update is necessary if you are running Acekard on a DS lite. I'm using Akaio, and I didn't do the update/patch, because I too have a DS lite. Mine works fine.

Just a suggestion, most likely wrong.

7. leet

Newcomer leet Member

United States
    I got scammed by leetmod sadly :c

8. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    You should have used the DSi file, not the DSL one.

You Acekard is likely to be either dead, or it's not making contact with the DS.

First give the contacts on the Acekard a clean, then have a look inside the slot-1 on your DS with a torch. If it's full of debris, give the inside of the slot-1 on your DS a clean. Becareful not to bend the contacts.

[​IMG]

If that still doesn't work, see if the Acekard is loose in the slot, if it is slide a piece of paper behind the acekard (sticker side) as you insert it.

If that still doesn't work have a look at the contacts on your Acekard, these are 2 of mine for you to compare it to:

[​IMG]

One of mine for example you can see the top cart has lower contacts than the other, and on the bottom cart you can see the contacts are too far to the left.

If the contacts are low, It's easily fixed by sliding something non-conductive underneath the PCB. You can pull the PCB up with your nail so you can slide something underneath.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not shown in the photo, but I cut opposite corners of the piece of plastic to slide it under ie the top left corner and the bottom right corner, it helps to angle it in. Afterwards you could visibly see the PCB was higher in the cart.

It's not the MicroSD, it will still detect the AK without one in.

If it still doesn't work, follow my guide here and follow the instructons for unbricking an Acekard, use your R4 to launch the updater. Download the update file again as the thread sticked up the top uses the wrong one, using the old files are unlikely to have caused the issue but you should use the updated files just in case.

9. Taellon
    OP

Canada
    Okay I followed the unbricking guide and it's working perfectly now. Thank you so much. And thanks to the other people that tried to help me as well.

10. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    Glad it worked for you!

11. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    tk_saturn, your innovative paper trick is pure genius. Now I don't have to cover up the shiny Acekard sticker, and plus I think your method is a lot more reliable.

12. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    Hey, thanks!

The paper trick is only really usefull if the Acekard is loose if the slot, you can use all the layers of paper want but sometimes it won't work because the PCB is low in the cart. The grey plastic of the shell to the sides of the contacts will stop the cart from going back any further in the cart slot.

13. joe_gamer

Member joe_gamer GBAtemp Regular

United States

thanks for the pics!!

you know if it's possible to use a original R4 shell with the 2i board? I got some extras when R4 used to give extra shells with their carts...

14. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    My acekard works without the paper trick, should I still use it to be safe?

15. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    Compare the layout to your R4 cart, and it should give you a better idea.

16. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I rather doubt it...

From the looks of it, AceKards have straight sides, and R4's have notches.
    Also, R4's have a screw post in the case and a hole in the card which AK's dont.

Here's what I mean:
    RED = Not on R4's
    BLUE = Extra on R4's
    [​IMG]

17. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Well if it's too tight, then I believe the contacts might get scratched more easily. I'd say only do it if you encounter a random freeze that was not caused by a glitch in the game.

18. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    I agree.

If you use the paper trick on an Acekard which is already in contact with the DS cart slot contacts, using the paper trick could push the pins back. This could mean you then have to use the paper trick with every cart including retail carts.

I used the sliding under trick on one of mine which was working fine, but I could visibly see the PCB was low and didn't want further hassles as it a gift for one of my nieces.