Gaming just got my 360 and want to mod...

lavamasta

OP
Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
k guys, im not quite sure how to mod it... i modded my wii alredy, and psp, but i just got my 360 today
smile.gif
i dont kno how to find out what kind of drive it is.
if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif
can i do it without having to buy anything extra? will xbox live still work?
ive heard of this ixttreme, but not sure if it'll work with my system version. my friend has a 360 and he thinks its an older version. one of the last ones that was in stock so i think im good but i need to make sure.
i dont wanna brick a brand new 360 XD

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it's a new box, it'll be a lite-on drive. If you really want to make sure then, http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD..._Comparison.htm, lite-on is like the benq, but yellow wires instead of gray/white wires. Unless you got really, really old stock, then it'll be a lite-on.

No you can't do it without buying anything, if it's a lite-on you'll need a connectivity kit v3 ,maximus extractor or something similar and depending on what onboard sata chipset you have, possibly an sata card. Xbox live will still work, ixtreme will work.

Jungleflasher comes with a guide that will tell you how to do it.

Only thing is there is a new lite-on around now, that can't be done yet. There's no way to tell with out opening the 360 and checking the drives firmware revision, if it's 83850c, then you'll have to wait a month or so till they release the solution for it to the public. Only a few reports of people getting them in the US, so it would be pretty unlucky to end up with one.

lavamasta

OP
Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
Armadillo said:
If it's a new box, it'll be a lite-on drive. If you really want to make sure then, http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD..._Comparison.htm, lite-on is like the benq, but yellow wires instead of gray/white wires. Unless you got really, really old stock, then it'll be a lite-on.

No you can't do it without buying anything, if it's a lite-on you'll need a connectivity kit v3 ,maximus extractor or something similar and depending on what onboard sata chipset you have, possibly an sata card. Xbox live will still work, ixtreme will work.

Only thing is there is a new lite-on around now, that can't be done yet. There's no way to tell with out opening the 360 and checking the drives firmware revision, if it's 83850c, then you'll have to wait a month or so till they release the solution for it to the public. Only a few reports of people getting them in the US, so it would be pretty unlucky to end up with one.
thx, that was helpful info
wink.gif

im gonna look some of that stuff up and hopefully mod my 360 within a week
smile.gif

edit: k i just found out my drive is a benQ
wink.gif
so what'll i need? im pretty sure it is at least. i dont wanna open up my 360 right now so i just opened the dvd tray and it looks just like the benQ
smile.gif

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Howz your soldering?

I have done loads of Lite-on / Phillips drives. They require soldering shorts between two points where surface mounted resistors have been removed from later versions. You then have to solder a home made serial cable to one point on the drives PCB and then follow the instructions from a bootable CD OR USB pen drive.

You need to make a serial cable, with 2 resistors and a NPN transistor, you will also need a certain model SATA PCI card for it to work (£5 on ebay).

The soldering can be quite fine but if your game, mail me and I can give you the instructions.
lecture.gif

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lavamasta said:
Armadillo said:

thx, that was helpful info
wink.gif

im gonna look some of that stuff up and hopefully mod my 360 within a week
smile.gif

edit: k i just found out my drive is a benQ
wink.gif
so what'll i need? im pretty sure it is at least. i dont wanna open up my 360 right now so i just opened the dvd tray and it looks just like the benQ
smile.gif

Look in the hole it shows on the link, the benq and lite-on trays look exactly the same.
QUOTE(Mantis41 @ Jul 15 2009, 09:58 PM)
Howz your soldering?

I have done loads of Lite-on / Phillips drives. They require soldering shorts between two points where surface mounted resistors have been removed from later versions. You then have to solder a home made serial cable to one point on the drives PCB and then follow the instructions from a bootable CD OR USB pen drive.

You need to make a serial cable, with 2 resistors and a NPN transistor, you will also need a certain model SATA PCI card for it to work (£5 on ebay).

The soldering can be quite fine but if your game, mail me and I can give you the instructions.
lecture.gif

You don't need to solder, both the ck3 and maximus extractor have a solderless probe that you just stick in the via above r707 and if you make a home made one you can knock up your own probe. Also you only need the sata card if your onboard one is not compatible, if you've got onboard via or nforce sata, then you don't need it.

lavamasta

OP
Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
k, so theres no way to tell if its liteon or benq without opening? im pretty sure its benQ...
im at my friends house right now with it so i cant be opening it right now.
what i can tell you is that it is one of the older stock 360`s. its a 60gb that came in a bundle with kungfu panda and lego indiana jones, etc. would i be able to find out which it is from that info?
im willing to pay the $30 or so dollars it`ll take to get the equipment but i need to know if i can do it without opening my 360...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0