Hacking Just got first PS Vita, interested in TN-V but had a few questions...

Believein

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, just signed up to the forum.
I just got my first Vita in the mail today and was interested in installing TN-V for PSP games. The system I bought is a brand new SCH-1101 running Firmware 1.06.
Since it hasn't been connected to the internet or updated yet, I wanted to ask the best way to proceed. I was really trying to avoid accidentally updating the system beyond what was hackable.

I also ran across a tutorial on how to install without using an exploit and wanted to ask your opinions on it. The link to that tutorial is here:

Thanks in advance, pretty excited on my first new system in decades. Haven't had time for gaming but have recently decided to pick it back up. Cheers!

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
You should probably update to about 3.36 firmware. TN-V will work up to 3.52/3.55 but some things work better on older firmwares.

You also need a PSP exploit game. Do you have a PS3? Is the console currently activated with any account, with any PSP game?

Youtube tutorials usually get outdated fast, so it's best to follow actively updated guides like Hackinformer's

Reactions: Believein

Believein

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for the responses guys...

I don't have an exploit game yet but from what I understand as long as it is the certain firmware or lower it should work..?

I don't have a PS3 and it is brand new out the box so not activated..

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country

I don't have an exploit game yet but from what I understand as long as it is the certain firmware or lower it should work..?

You need a PSP game on the console to be able to use TN-V. You can convert any game to a TN-V bubble but you need one. And the only way to get one in your case is with a PS3.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

If you don't have a PS3, you'll need to either buy one or borrow a friend's for a bit, as in order to activate without updating you need a PS3, and to transfer the exploit game (which is required to install TN-V) you'll need a PS3.

EDIT: :ph34r:

Believein

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, looks like I will be going to 3.18 and using a PS3 as suggested. Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial for TN-V once I upgrade firmware to 3.18? Also, does this mean that I cannot go on the PS Store once hacked and when are times when I should watch out for FW upgrades i.e. when playing games, in PS Store, etc? I've never had a Vita and only remember when certain games updated your system automatically when you played them. Thanks again..!

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys, looks like I will be going to 3.18 and using a PS3 as suggested. Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial for TN-V once I upgrade firmware to 3.18? Also, does this mean that I cannot go on the PS Store once hacked and when are times when I should watch out for FW upgrades i.e. when playing games, in PS Store, etc? I've never had a Vita and only remember when certain games updated your system automatically when you played them. Thanks again..!

This should answer your questions. It doesn't cover PS1 bubbles though.
http://hackinformer.com/PlayStationGuide/PSV/RESULT_VITA_318.html

Believein

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great, will read up on bubbles when I have time. So does this mean that I will not be able to go on the Store or get content? Also, do I have to watch out for games that might update automatically?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You won't be able to use the PS Store on your Vita, no, if you want to transfer stuff from PSN you'll need to do it with a PS3 every time.

Some games might require the latest firmware, if that is the case then you simply won't be able to play them. I believe there's a wiki somewhere that lists a good amount of games and what the minimum firmware required is. No game will automatically start the update process, it must be approved by the user, so you'll be good there.

EDIT: Note that transferring things to ePSP mode like PSP ISOs or PS1 ISOs or Homebrew doesn't require a PS3, just a PC, in case you were wondering that also.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most games will tell you immediately when they require a system update to play, and won't prompt for a title update unless it's a PSTV, in most cases. Title updates can be installed manually, but some will ask you to update to a newer firmware to launch the game after you install them.

3.18FW is the optimal firmware for ePSP exploits, so that is the right choice for them. Additionally, know that newer firmwares introduce tactics that make copying files within the PSP emulator extremely difficult to nearly impossible. Stay away from them for now. Know that HENkaku does not run on 3.18FW, only 3.60FW, which means you will be locked out of the new homebrew being released for native Vita mode for the time being. It is expected that HENkaku will eventually be used to re-enable the older exploits for the ePSP emulator, among other things, but that functionality is yet to be incorporated. There are a large variety of emulators available for HENkaku's native vita hack however, and many are very close to becoming stable for most of the main games people want to play on them. These are expected to become overall better than their ePSP counterparts soon enough. At this time, all ePSP homebrew is also usable through regular bubbles via HENkaku, but as there is no ePSP kernel exploit available, only homebrew can be run. PSP and PS1 games can only be pirated on earlier firmwares, including 3.18FW.

Beyond that, you will need a PS3 to do anything ePSP related on older firmwares, of course. You will not be able to access any online play or other PSN content, including the store. HENkaku is expected to offer a solution for bypassing this limitation soon however.

Another thing of note, you do not need to activate the PS Vita to use HENkaku based homebrew. Additionally, seeing as you have a GSM model, it should be noted that HENkaku is currently being used to inspect and document the GSM locking code, hopefully leading to a way to unlock the GSM carrier on your US Vita.

In short, HENkaku is going to be the most useful exploit once it matures, eliminating the need for muddling around with 3.18FW. Depending on your needs, you may not have any need to activate the console at all if HENkaku can do what you're hoping to do already. It's your choice, but that's some information to look over before you make it.

Believein

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, was able to find a PS3 on ebay for $50 an hour ago and I already had the cables as that was the last system I had bought (but sold immediately as a new project had come up.)

The Store thing should be fine for now. The last system I really played with was the PS2 so I have a lot of catching up to do. I was planning on playing the PSP titles I missed out on until a good hack for Vita games is available. Homebrew doesn't bother me as much as I can play them from many other methods. Looks like 3.18, or what what I hear the "Golden FW", is what it's going to be.

For anyone interested, this is where I found the Vita so it's a guaranteed OLED SCH-1101 and Firmware 1.06 out of the box. Will open a new thread if I have any questions about the install but thanks so much again! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071NH8B8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Believein

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry guys, real quick question. The link is down for the Sony CMA 3.1X and was wondering if anyone had a working link by chance. Also, I noticed that the tutorial for TN-V spoke about using email as part of the exploit and wanted to ask if that is an app or something that comes after the Firmware update? As of now with Firmware 1.06, there is no email icon to speak of. I wanted to ask how to register an email on the Vita but hope that will be self explanatory later. Thanks again.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually all files are down that are used to manually update the Firmware in the link that Tom gave. Does anyone happen to have working links by chance?

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Believein

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The XML link is down...is that available anywhere else?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hey, sorry guys didn't know it was a text type document. Downloaded fine.

Believein

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. For some reason the QCMA icon on my PC shows the Vita being connected but on the Vita itself, it says "Connect your PS Vita system to a PC using a USB cable" when I try to "Update by Connecting to a PC"... Any suggestions?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night